prada 4, 29 Jan

59 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Despite AM and technical issues,Dean was not or showed no agression at the start.Happy to let Luna take advantage.

Was this Deans last cup??

You would have to think this will be his last cup.

19 hours ago, ex Elly said:

You would also not be aggressive if you weren't confident in your own boat.

This. The boat was unstable, controll was marginal. How can you sail agressively and 100%, at dangerous speeds, when you are unsure of and struggling with control? Not Dean's fault....

18 minutes ago, Island Time said:

This. The boat was unstable, controll was marginal. How can you sail agressively and 100%, at dangerous speeds, when you are unsure of and struggling with control? Not Dean's fault....

Even the xmas cup didnt seem to be at his best

I'm sure even the old guy polishing the boat each night could tie me in knots in the start box, but tbh American magic looked all at sea on more than one occasion. That is not a criticism of the guy on the wheel, but they just didn't seem to have 'it' when the time came.

S hits me as it does but I reckon that yappin aussie dog would be saying "too easy" as they sailed away...

• Upvote 1
On 1/02/2021 at 3:15 PM, Black Panther said:

Wonder what it cost to race AM, about $500k per minute?

I think youre about right.

I saw it quoted somewhere it cost them $10M per race which is $500k per minute for a 20 min race.

Its quite a vulgar amount of cash when you think about it

1 hour ago, tuffyluffy said:

I think youre about right.

I saw it quoted somewhere it cost them $10M per race which is $500k per minute for a 20 min race.

Its quite a vulgar amount of cash when you think about it

The thing is that it’s not a ‘this or that’ issue. The rich elite that fund these teams do it because of the challenge that the Americas cup brings, but it’s not as though they choose to yacht race instead of investing the money in public services or social needs, if they weren’t racing they would just keep the money to invest in their business to make more money. 
so I figure that  we may as well just enjoy the show. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, ex Elly said:

What we should do, to make it seem really expensive, is take the cost of 3 years work, and apply to a few 20 minute races!  🙄😆

and then we should do the same with the olympics

how dare those athletes spend so much time selfishly training when they could be building housing for humanity

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Exactly. If you think about what countries and sponsors spend on their athletes, and the cost of hosting the Olympics, it would make the 100m sprints pretty expensive. 
so working out cost per race is a bit of a pointless observation really  

13 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

I figured my yacht has cost me $6 per mile so far, it was worth it.

whenever anyone questions the cost of something, my first reaction is to work out how much it would cost to do otherwise.

In with a supplier yesterday buying some odd-sized but necessary high tensile bolts.  When they apologetically told me the price, my reply was that I couldn't make them for 1/10 that cost so its good value.

Swimming a mile would probably cost more than $6 so your yacht is cheap and will get cheaper on a per mile basis!

On 9/02/2021 at 3:21 PM, Island Time said:

Interesting concept! I reckon 8-10 $ a mile for me...

I try not go there, its  like calculating how long it took to earn the money as I glug my favourite craft beer, best just to enjoy the experience. :-)