Boat rage

You cant tell me there isnt more to it than the video - those two know each other because the lady is caught saying "He lives over there" - and she was pretty bloody quick to jump to names and swing the oar at his direction. Meanwhile the guy holding the boat isnt stepping in or saying anything. Im claiming there is an old arguement at play there too. and its not the first altercation.

• Upvote 2

How many times have you seen powerboats doing 10 to 20 knots into ramps or channels, 50 times this year alone so far? I have.

The guy in the dinghy lost his rag over fizz boat wankers who just haven't happened to have killed anyone yet ,so they think they're sweet.

• Upvote 3

A furious man captured on video ramming a woman's runabout in a moment of boat rage is a convicted murderer on life parole who could now be recalled to prison.

A Herald investigation can reveal the man is John Frederick Dixon who was jailed in 1979 for beating a night watchman to death after the man refused to loan Dixon money.

Aged just 16 at the time of the killing, Dixon was then one of the country's youngest murderers.

His trial heard allegations that he suffered from severe anger issues and was prone to flying into fits of rage.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tairua-boat-rage-video-man-a-convicted-murderer-on-life-parole/B7X5LWOLUACNKSOYSPIZTDI65Q/

I worked in jails with murderers. This kid seems never to have got a break and IMHO shouldn't have served 8 years. Watch Backtrack Boys to learn why. Available for free via beamafilm on Auckland libraries or see their website

backtrackboys.com

https://beamafilm.com/watch/backtrack-boys

And if he's lived crime free for years ... FFS.

I don't know, if my kids were on my boat and he came and rammed it at speed, started nutting off and being aggressive towards me, I'd be fairly happy he was in jail and not at a boat ramp near my family.

The lady is a deputy principal.  I thought she handled it well, started off calm and reasonable. Only picked the oar up when the boat ran at her (and her kids) at speed. Apparently there is an employment investigation going on. That is totally unfair.

There are ways to handle / communicate disagreements. Scaring kids until they cry is not one of them. Causing property damage and direct risk of physical harm? no. Lock him up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fish, I think you still owe me a bottle?, you seem to be missing the point. Jail is not for boat rage incidents. In fact jail is never the solution (see JustSpeak). Lock him up may feel good for you, but for the rest of the community it's a counterproductive kneejerk reaction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
26 minutes ago, KM... said:

Yeah I saw that and thought the same, you sad pathetic bunch of panty stains.

Not really thinking that language is going to add to the thread much, but suit yourself.

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Tamure said:

The guy made a mistake, I guess he just had a gutsful of people making wakes and lost it...... but locked up at a cost of 90k a year to keep the system happy? Dont think so.

Are you referring to him making a mistake when he bet the security guard to death and crushed his skull? or that he made a mistake again and got violent with a lady and some kids out boating? Its not clear from your post...

And here is me thinking I'm on the lefty poof tree hugging vegetarian end of the spetrum when it comes to law and order.

I guess, based on the justifiable homicide thread, you guys all think its OK to go and kill someone every time a wave hits your boat. 

I don't know, perhaps if you don't like waves hitting your boat, you shouldn't go out on the water?

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, KM... said:

Your own post betrays you.

It may appear that way, possibly. I don't think our criminal justice system is very good, and prison tends to train / breed criminals. I think substantially more should be spent on prisoners. Mental health, counselling, basic life skills like being able to read, drivers licenses for all (for free), vocational training, and that prisoners should be treated like humans. The punishment of prison is the deprivation of liberty, it shouldn't be living in a scotty sh*t hole. Reoffending rates are way too high and more should be done about that, for the wider good of society.

But at the same time prison also serves a purpose. Putting aside the punishment element, prison removes people that are a danger to our community, from that community.

In this particular case, I need to have faith that suitable measures have been put in place to prevent this guy loosing it, and killing someone again. The parole board has looked at it, and deemed he did not need to be recalled. I am assuming the parole board has much better info than the Herald article.

I was not surprised to hear this guy has history. My first pick was that he was coming off a P bender and wasn't in full control of his faculties. Turns out he just has low faculties and a documented history of anger issues. I would feel better if this guy had access to effective counselling and any treatment he needs. If he has an issue with boat wake, maybe he should get a house.  I think you guys should all pay for that, if you like?

But the underlying message is this guy seriously over reacted. Things happen in life that are annoying, sometimes even dangerous. What is important is how we all respond to those things. Linking back to the Justifiable Homicide thread, assaulting someone, ramming boats at high speed, threatening to kill, or killing someone is not an appropriate response.

Whilst you guys would like to go and physically throttle someone on occasion, I'm under the impression that you haven't actually done that yet. You've been adult enough to stop yourself...

The danger comes about when you have someone with a known history of an inability to stop themselves from violently attacking people. That danger to the community needs to be adequately managed. Somehow.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fish said:

Are you referring to him making a mistake when he bet the security guard to death and crushed his skull? or that he made a mistake again and got violent with a lady and some kids out boating? Its not clear from your post...

Or the mistake we collectively made (and to which you refer or allude) in not providing suitable treatment and rehabilitation to prisoners.

Without condoning this guy's historical or recent behaviour, we have to assume its the result of a less-than-ideal mental condition.  Our prisons do a very poor job of fixing this - they belong to the Department of Corrections after all, not the Department of Health (who, going futher down the rabbit hole,  seem to prioritise mental health in that waaaaaay down the back of the bus kind of way).

Consequently, the mad are treated as bad and that tends to worsen behaviour.

Did he over-react?  Absolutely.  Was he provoked?  Possibly.  Could we have done something differently to over time to (a) address his anger problems and (b) get boat owners to act within the law so the easily provoked have no reason to break out?  Definitely.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Tamure said:

tabloid posting at its finest

That is a very ZB response.

But you didn't say which mistake he made that you were referring to? C'mon, I'm sure your capability of a more considered answer