GPS signal inside boat

Anyone ever had an issue with getting a GPS signal on their chartplotter if it is mounted inside the cabin, so will not have the recommended  "clear view of the sky"?
In the middle of a refit and want to move my chartplotter inside but don't want to bother having to buy and fit an external antenna.

(Chartplotter is an little 5 inch Garmin Echomap 50)

Cheers

Move it as a temporary thing  and try- depending on how the boat is built you might get away with it.

it will not be as accurate- only you can decide how important that is to you, it will depend how you use it.

I moved ours receiver inside when the outside one failed, but it is still an seperate gps, tucked up close to the cabin top.  Ended up using a 50 dollar gps module, off eBay as I didn’t want to spend 500+ or a raymarine one for a 15 year old plotter. 

most will show the signal strength somewhere in the settings, so you can get a rough idea of the loss.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, splat said:

Zozza, what is the boat made of and what would be directly above Unit....i.e. winches etc?

No winches.  Maybe a solar panel.  I am thinking of installing it inside my new pilot house, which will me made of ply and glassed.

Typically, internal antennae will shoot through/ receive through glass/foam, ply etc with no issues. Metals not so much.  An external antennae will be more accurate. A little concerned re solar panel location. As others have said best to simply do a temporary test in each of the various options.

• Upvote 1