Waiheke Island no take zone

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korihi/435470/two-year-rahui-for-waiheke-island-waters-to-protect-kaimoana

Came in to effect today. All for preserving our Kaimoana but unless Govt/Fisheries sign off it is unenforceable. 

This imo is the start of very dangerous slippery slope. Everytime that IWI thinks a particular part of the coast needs protecting will the GOVT agree and sign off??

Is it the start of IWI control of foreshore/seabed.

Yes some parts need protecting/closure and certain species  are in a collapsed state.

This is such a paradox to me. For such a sparsely populated island nation we have spectacularly decimated our seafood resource. And in return we are one of the unhealthiest (read “obese / overweight”) nations in the developed world.

Other countries that have such a close affinity with the sea - like the Japanese - are some of the world’s healthiest.

WTF?!

3 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

A coincidental relationship is not causal one.

We are not unhealthy because we have depleted our seafood resources, and the Japanese are not healthy because of theirs.

Well done. In one sentence you have quite spectacularly:

1. Conflated 2 issues

2. Turned the words around 180 degrees

3. And turned a true statement into a factual error

I couldn’t have achieved that if I’d tried it - this might be some kind of record. Well done!!! 👏

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

A coincidental relationship is not causal one.

We are not unhealthy because we have depleted our seafood resources, and the Japanese are not healthy because of theirs.

Seafood in NZ is probably the most expensive one can buy expect the Japan Tuna market.Skinned bone snapper $38/40kg nz Aussie $22kg Gurnard $28/32 nz Aussie $16kg

Crayfish nz $119 kg "B" grade china "A" grade $100 per cray and remember its flown 1/2 around the world to get there.

15 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Yes there is now a rahui on Waiheke.  You cannot take mussels, scallops, paua or crayfish.

Also a new rahui at Opito Bay, you cannot take scallops.

Wait ! there are mussels, scallops and Paua on Waiheke ?

19 hours ago, harrytom said:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korihi/435470/two-year-rahui-for-waiheke-island-waters-to-protect-kaimoana

Came in to effect today. All for preserving our Kaimoana but unless Govt/Fisheries sign off it is unenforceable. 

This imo is the start of very dangerous slippery slope. Everytime that IWI thinks a particular part of the coast needs protecting will the GOVT agree and sign off??

Is it the start of IWI control of foreshore/seabed.

Yes some parts need protecting/closure and certain species  are in a collapsed state.

I hear your concerns but frankly sometimes it feels like "If not them then who ?  MPI are hopeless. You want to see the fish life in Deep Water Cove due to the 2 year Rahui.

Well, I was being sightly facetious naturally :-)  I have heard of crays at Waiheke but have never looked, and probably wont, any cray alive on that coast today deserves a gong and should be left well alone. Seen some scallops at Hooks a few years back but the bed looked sparse, I've never bothered as  there is a healthy bed nearby (for now)

Maybe in time the mussel farm will help with Schnapper breeding stocks, the ones at Fitzroy seem well occupied with fat specimens. My totally unscientific observations from diving around the gulf is that Crayfish seem a rather hardy species that if left alone will proliferate quickly, they seem to need the sea weed cover though.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Fogg said:

Well done. In one sentence you have quite spectacularly:

1. Conflated 2 issues

2. Turned the words around 180 degrees

3. And turned a true statement into a factual error

I couldn’t have achieved that if I’d tried it - this might be some kind of record. Well done!!! 👏

An error of interpretation - read my second sentence without assuming a comma after the words "healthy" and "unhealthy".

The fact is, we are unhealthy because of reasons far removed from and beyond our access to seafood.  The Japanese are healthy, but not because of their seafood access.

2 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

An error of interpretation - read my second sentence without assuming a comma after the words "healthy" and "unhealthy".

The fact is, we are unhealthy because of reasons far removed from and beyond our access to seafood.  The Japanese are healthy, but not because of their seafood access.

We both share abundant access to seafood but for cultural reasons we have almost diametrically opposed health outcomes. Medical science ranks Japan as one of the healthiest nations on earth (indeed Okinawa is one of the world’s 5 Blue Zones and a rich seafood diet is a scientifically proven direct contributory factor - not just the eating but even the hunter-gather lifestyle plays a part apparently).

In contrast we obviously have a different cultural relationship with food in NZ which is a shame because the benefits of our abundant access to seafood - in the shops or directly hunter-gathering ourselves - seems to be washed away by other lifestyle factors. What a sad wasted opportunity - sad for both the depleted fish stocks and the bulging waistlines.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just a slight correction 

Suguru came and worked on our farm for a year from Okinawa about ten years ago.

He now owns and operates this NZ style F&C shop in Naha
Sells deep fried battered Hoki and chips plus other Okinawean dishes

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

in japan many restaurants have "all you can eat", tabehodai

and "all you can drink" nomihodai menus for very reasonable prices

yet very few people eat and drink themselves to an immovable stupor as they would here

which is largely why restaurants here......... don't go there

https://nihonscope.com/food-and-sake/what-does-nomihodai-in-japanese-mean/

A Few Etiquette Rules to Keep in Mind:

1. Foreigners usually abuse the hell out of nomihodai, with that in mind at least have the courtesy to drink your current beverage all the way first before asking for more. About 20 minutes before your time is over you’ll be given last call, don’t be rude and order 5 drinks effectively wasting the drinks because your dead drunk on the floor.

We've had three winter trips to Japan.  They eat differently (well,duh!).  We ate like locals, not in tourist restaurants but in small street places.  One memorable meal was in a bar with a dirt floor.  In a ski resort.  Another under a railway line and included pig ears and a range of stuff that was best not to ask.

Portions are smaller.

Protien portions are tiny.

Even cheap food is exquisitely presented.  You eat with your eyes for sure in Japan.

We currently have a 25yo chinese guy living with us.  He is astounded at our waste, the poor quality of the ingredients and the careless way we prepare food here.

Imo, the difference is this.  For those of us with anglo-saxon blood, food is fuel.  For most cultures, food is celebration at every meal.

Pre-Covid I travelled to Japan for business every 6-8 wks. Their culture of personal pride in health & appearance is part of the story.

But just in case Big Mac culture threatens the traditional alleyway food scene, new anti-obesity laws are a further incentive to prevent ‘lazy corporate guy’ growing a waist size of >34 inches (or something like that) and women similar.

Imagine the backlash here in NZ if employers had to monitor their staff’s BMI and pay more tax for having fat workers. True story.

• Like 1