protection from mooring rope......

Whats the best protection from mooring rope scuffing bow?

Get  wind against tide scenario and have tried nylon pipe over rope but hard to get on and secure.

I think mooring line is too short for high tide and gets caught on bow.

There are softer options than pipe but the best option is to eliminate it.

As it is not that common that should be doable once you work out what the cause it.

Lets see if we can suss what's going on.

You say the line maybe too short. Why do you say that?

I'm guessing you are in Auckland on a mooring?

I find most owners know what the problem is they just don't know they know so a series of what can look like basic questions can get them to say what it is.... even if i have to point out they just did :)  

11 hours ago, KM... said:

There are softer options than pipe but the best option is to eliminate it.

As it is not that common that should be doable once you work out what the cause it.

Lets see if we can suss what's going on.

You say the line maybe too short. Why do you say that?

I'm guessing you are in Auckland on a mooring?

I find most owners know what the problem is they just don't know they know so a series of what can look like basic questions can get them to say what it is.... even if i have to point out they just did :)  

It is not a fairlead issue. 100+mm clearance off bow. Heavy duty double maxwell I welded together.

At watchman when not in Westpark.

Depth  3m at low.

You say the line maybe too short. Why do you say that?  Because its pretty damn heavy at high tide to disengage from cleat and always vert.

I've come out and the line has been caught against stem and boat "trapped" in an angle to wind and tide in equilibrium until one force overcomes

other. Not good with chop.

Hauraki  marine laid service it.

I think its 1x railway wheel plus lathe bed connected with humungous chain.

Sounds like you need to give Lazza a ring and ask him to check it out when he comes past next time. It maybe just him to check it got stretched out after the last service, sometimes they forget and things get suck under/on weights leading to a short rode and a heavy one for the poor bugger on the boat above it i.e. you.

But it also be something is too short, head rope probably, and in being so is not allowing the boat to hang back. When it can't do that the head rope will be pretty vertical so can get one side of the bow and just stay there even in wind shifts and tide turns. If the boat can hang back it's far less likely to happen.

You could try a simple experiment. Get a big feck off rope and use that to add length to the head rope. Start at adding about 1m and see how is goes. Just watch out behind you for swing room and do that keeping in mind what state the tide is when you do.

Do you know the mooring number? If so PM it to me and I'll have a suss of how the mooring is made up, that could show us something.

I'll also so your weights as I very much doubt you only have one wheel down there in these days of council 'over kill on steroids' requirements.

• Upvote 1

JG021

Lost my Berth of 14mnths so had to do a hurried mooring hawser/ line demusssel at low tide on Sunday morning, off for a sail to return later.

Came back evening at high tide and the fckr had  disappeared! Cogs were turning with me thinking maybe my clean was too vigorous and I had punctured the buoys. Or? Maybe I’m a little disoriented ......So picked up a couple in the vicinity that looked similar (except one buoy instead of two) only to discard. On third a big gust of wind (against tide)and had it torn from my grasp. Boat swung wrong way and ran over warp.

Buggeration, not only has my mooring, sunk I’m anchored by my short and curlies to someone else’s. And it’s 8pm, the glow of a good sail is dissappearing with the light. About then I spy a buoy ring struggling for air  about 20m astern NNE, Eureka, my mooring! (We were getting held arse first.) Ok there’s  hope here. Double hope, my sailing mate turns up on a  borrowed ski from some well heeled gentle person of Herne’s,lawn/helipad.
ln short order he dropped the kedge and we won our freedom. 

In our haste to go sailing the buoy rope and main hawser got tangled on release resulting in the drowning of the markers. And on retrospection, the deck boy who chucked it over did say it looked little “strange”. Like it was “drowning a bit”.

Not saying this has any relevance, the main hawser is still too short.

Ahrrr,  are not the adventures sailing brings about the spice of life?

I guess you old salts never let Murphy take over like this.