Damn!!

When did Briski stop manufacturing 2 bladed folders?

Unfortunately I dropped a blade off my prop on Sunday just before the entrance to HMB marina. Luckily the breeze was such that I could sail onto my berth.

I rang Briski this morning only to be told they weren't manufacturing folders anymore and to look at putting a Gori or Volvo folder on my Yanmar SD25 leg. Not sure about the last option.

I am currently waiting for the price and availability/delivery times for a Gori.

BOIguy, how has your Flexofold worked out. What was delivery time like from Denmark.

Anyone in Crew.org land have lying around a LH 15x10 2 bladed folding prop to fit a Yanmar SD20/25?

2 Weeks from Denmark to my door, very impressed. Faster and cheaper than the four other options I considered.

The engineering is superb, the prop folds itself up just sitting still, never seen another brand do that.

Easy responsive communication, discussing pitch / diameter to suit.

Excellent performance in forward, thrust is way better than briski was, reverse a bit less - need to give some revs to get the brakes going.

I don't think I would go anywhere else if shopping for a prop again.

get the idea?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2951931440?bof=OWyyzLLZ

Couple of pictures in the add.

BOzi guy - what size prop and $ to your door?

Similar to kiwi_jon i think I'm in the market too.

I spoke to Brent at Briski a few weeks ago and duscussed Kiwiprops with him. He was less than complimentary.

Anybody have one?

2 minutes ago, Romany said:

I spoke to Brent at Briski a few weeks ago and duscussed Kiwiprops with him. He was less than complimentary.

Anybody have one?

I have one. But have never used it. So can't really tell you if they're good or not. Bought it second hand (apparently 6 months old) to put on our last boat, but sold the boat before I had a chance to fit it. 

If you're looking for one I can dig it out of my shed and let you know the size etc. 

We have a kiwi prop on our Ross 10.6 with a lombardini 28hp. I have not been overly impressed with the motoring speed even after playing with the pitch a few times and reverse is to far over pitched for us. Any growth on the prop and the engine just stalls in reverse unless you slam it hard to full throttle. 

I believe they are good on cruisers with bigger engines but i think they suffer a bit on smaller engines as the blades are not that efficient at  getting the horsepower to the water. 

Customer service seems to be very good.

We hit a log very hard with the prop and there was no damage so they are pretty tough.

• Upvote 1

Same issue as Booboo, not great in forwards and stalled in reverse unless you gave it revs first, according to the last owner the motor always did that, but changing the prop to three bladed folder fixed it. Customer service is great and easy to get parts but I think a 30hp is too small for them

Kiwiprops are great. Best on 30hp - 55hp, due to the stall issue mentioned above. Not many people will re-pitch their props sufficiently to get them exactly right, but its easy to do with a kiwiprop. They are a little less efficient than some, due to blade shape to allow feathering. 

There are a couple of common issues - there are 5 lubrication points, 3 obvious and 2 not so obvious. All 5 need to be properly greased with a needle nose grease gun. Not to do so can result in bad vibrations, (blade/blades not fully opening) or lack of feathering.

One other thing is the blades are not metal, so less immersed metal can mean slower Zinc use....

I have a fancy 3 blade volvo folder, but its in my garage - I prefer the Kiwiprop.

Kiwiprop are good, (3 blade) in my opinion, reverse is like a brake! Going ahead, it is a little less efficient, compared to the Bronze one it replaced, possibly 1/2 a knot lost. Though in my case that is mainly due to the prop diameter being restricted by the small aperture size, therefore restricting the max prop diameter the engine  / gearbox would be capable of using.  Currently running a 14-1/2" would be much better with a 17". alwaays compromises. As IT says 5 grease points, plus adjustable pitch. Blade are tips more vulnerable to damage, being plastic. But damage one tip and you only have to replace one tip.  They are lighter and you don't have the vibration you can get from the heavier bronze props.

17 hours ago, kiwi_jon said:

When did Briski stop manufacturing 2 bladed folders?

Unfortunately I dropped a blade off my prop on Sunday just before the entrance to HMB marina. Luckily the breeze was such that I could sail onto my berth.

I rang Briski this morning only to be told they weren't manufacturing folders anymore and to look at putting a Gori or Volvo folder on my Yanmar SD25 leg. Not sure about the last option.

I am currently waiting for the price and availability/delivery times for a Gori.

BOIguy, how has your Flexofold worked out. What was delivery time like from Denmark.

Anyone in Crew.org land have lying around a LH 15x10 2 bladed folding prop to fit a Yanmar SD20/25?

you could try Gordon at Craftmaster Marine (operates out of Yachspars shed in Kumeu), he might have a suitable prop in his collection

Thanks for comments and recommendations. I have just ordered a Gori 15x10 two bladed floppy. Delivery in just over a week.

I am a firm believer in the KISS principle. I had looked at Kiwiprops in the past and was pretty much talked out of putting one on a 20 hp Yanmar. I helped a mate once install a new Maxprop 3 bladed feathering prop. 4 hands were just about not enough and holding your mouth right while making sure the gears were set for the right pitch helped. A trained octopus would have been handy.

This new prop is going to be like getting a new wife. I knew the last prop for 33 years, knew all its foibles, how much wellie to give it in reverse to get the prop to bite and start going astern.

14 hours ago, kiwi_jon said:

This new prop is going to be like getting a new wife. I knew the last prop for 33 years, knew all its foibles, how much wellie to give it in reverse to get the prop to bite and start going astern.

Been with my wife for almost 30 years and feel like a rank amateur when it comes to those aspects. What's your secret? 

14 minutes ago, waikiore said:

A few details on your boat and engine and I can quote you one straight away....

Can you quote a new Prop?

Lombardini 1003(28hp) 3700kg 35ft yacht on a shaft drive (1 inch shaft I think), 16.5inch prop. Was running a gori 16.5x12 3 blade but lost a blade, now a Kiwi prop.

Looking to increase motoring speed.