prada cup finals, best of 13....first to 7 wins

Yes, strictly speaking, VMG is wind, VMC  is to a mark, - see this from B&G

VMC

A measure of speed towards a specific Mark or target, gives actual progress towards a specific point on a course. Often referred to as "VMG to Waypoint". If you see "VMG" on a GPS unit, it is really VMC.

VMG

A measure of your speed towards the wind. A boat sailing at 90 degrees to the wind has a VMG of zero, a boat sailing at 45 degrees to the wind at 10 knots Boat Speed has a VMG of just over 7 knots.

This is getting good - keep 'em coming !! 

So, like Wiki, you would say that VMC stands for "Velocity Made (good on the) Course" ?? 

(Disclaimer - I do not have a trained eye, nor am I anything more than a recreational sailor.)

Esp in Bermuda it surely looked as if ETNZ was sailing both higher upwind, and deeper downwind 

but the commentators seemed unable to explain it. 

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Right-o, gotcha - but then why do the commentators only talk about VMG ?? 

Because they try to simplify it for the masses. + VMG is usually similar on each tack, and can vary widely for VMC if the course is not directly upwind/downwind... 

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Right-o, gotcha - but then why do the commentators only talk about VMG ?? 

We all use VMG as a proxy for VmC in the same way we use gas as a proxy for petrol even though it is a liquid. 

over time language adapts based on convenience or laziness not accuracy. 

until about 10 minutes ago I’d never heard of VMC. 

• Upvote 1
On 14/02/2021 at 8:10 PM, Jon said:

As a Course Marshell I was told at level three there would be racing but no spectator fleet so no stake boats required

Haven’t heard officially yet but the levels and plan was set way back last year., but then again the one constant in the a whole event is change.

I would have thought that even if racing could be held safely at L3, they wouldn't, purely because of the perception / optics of it.

Apparently we aren't supposed to go boating under L3, so for the rich foreigners to be allowed to do it would cause some angst I suspect. Not being able to go boating at L3 was a key driver for me taking up windsurfing, so I can get a water fix and some exercise when the gyms are closed and I can't take the boat out.

4 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

On Sunday, with the 25 degree wind shift that happened, VMC would have been meaningless for comparing the boats on opposite tacks

Respectfully disagree: It is he opposite. With that shift it would be VMG that would be meaningless. 

VMC is even more important then - tells you the rate to which you are getting to the mark. 

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken . . .   thanks 

5 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Respectfully disagree: It is he opposite. With that shift it would be VMG that would be meaningless. 

VMC is even more important then - tells you the rate to which you are getting to the mark. 

Sort of, certainly if you can lay the mark directly, then VMG is not important, only VMC, which will equal SOG, as you are going there directly. And, even if you cant quite lay the mark, then it gets more complex. Usually you want to be on the lifted tack, but if you cant be (Prada cup is a good example, as boundaries make you tack), then then minimum possible time on the unfavoured tack is required, even if VMC is negative! Its the AVERAGE VMC that matters...

48 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Assume the boats are tied around the bottom gate, each boat has the same VMG and will spend the same amount of time on each tack albeit on opposite sides of the course and will therefore arrive at the top mark tied. There is a 20 degree wind shift to the right. On starboard tack you will have a much higher VMC than the port tack boat (until you get near the lay line). So there will be no point in comparing VMC 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Fish said:

I would have thought that even if racing could be held safely at L3, they wouldn't, purely because of the perception / optics of it.

Apparently we aren't supposed to go boating under L3, so for the rich foreigners to be allowed to do it would cause some angst I suspect. Not being able to go boating at L3 was a key driver for me taking up windsurfing, so I can get a water fix and some exercise when the gyms are closed and I can't take the boat out.

Commercial operators/professionals are still allowed to operate under L3

Sounds like we have 3 more attached to Papatoetoe High

Talk from officials is it may go ahead this weekend but the above may change this

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jon said:

Commercial operators/professionals are still allowed to operate under L3

But they still have to follow the rules...

Staff legally must remain a minimum of 1 metre apart at all times

If your business requires close physical contact it can’t operate.

If we are still at Level 3, (and possibly Level 2), then I can't see them racing. 

If Level 3 holds and races are abandoned and unable to be rescheduled, either due to Covid or the AC rules, then we may see LR automatically awarded as winners of the Final.

That will be disappointing.

organisers don't want to start racing until aucks back in level 1

more people at viaduct etc.

LR pretty firm they don't want to give ben's boat builders any more time for a hail-mary boat change

hopefully we're just in level 2 for the 2 days

The only issue appears to be the crowd at the viaduct, everything else can carry on, the organisers had a plan in place prior for racing under level 3. In this case Luna Rossa are dead right close Viaduct nonsense and get on with the yachting all other Auckland sailing is back on, and we can go out and spectate on our boats or at home or at clubs in our bubble.

What is Grant /ACE up to I wonder- history will point out a few facts about this "series" that even TV has glossed over.  

To the delight of Luna Rossa, the Prada Cup final will resume tomorrow — although America's Cup organisers have made it clear they aren't happy about it with a stinging statement.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/other/prada-cup-final-back-but-organisers-lash-luna-rossa-not-putting-nzs-health-first

you may have realised by now how much i hate bad journalism

how's this

America's Cup Events wanted to delay a return to the water until Auckland had moved back to alert level 3 to allow crowds to attend, while challengers of record Luna Rossa remained adamant that racing should continue immediately.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/america-s-cup-2021/2021/02/america-s-cup-challenger-series-to-resume-racing-this-weekend.html

there's no great plan to bring journalism into disrepute

there just seems a general laziness to stop it falling there