primer before applying new antifoul?

We are on the hard at Panmure for a eek next week.  After waterblasting and scraping/sanding, should we:

• throw caution to the wind and just slap the new a/f over the unknown worn old a/f?

or 

• run a coat of primer over the old and THEN apply the new a/f?

We have been recommended #5 or War Paint.  What's the community's feeling on these in a inter-tidal envoronment (Clevedon River, similar to Weiti)

Yes put on a primer before the AF. I had same situation recently (painting over an unknown AF) and they said use it as a barrier coat first (not sure if it was technically a barrier though).

• Like 1
On 12/02/2021 at 8:28 PM, Tamure said:

a tie coat primer is a vinyl paint that seals the old af, sometimes different af’s  just don’t mix

I think that’s what was used in my case. And I wanted to chsnge from black antifoul to white - I think the tie coat / barrier was a silvery grey colour then the white AF went on. Early days but v happy so far!

0A6ECF8C-2494-40C1-BEB9-48083CF2F5EE.jpeg

• Like 1

Best tie coat I have use is Primocon- was recommended by a boatbuilder - seems to stick to anything. Went over the remnants of Micron [ I think] and then I used #5. Never had any probs with it around Devonport or Bayswater, but it might be a bit different in flushes of fresher water at Clevedon.

• Like 1

Anyone have experience with Warpaint?

My boat currently has warpaint on it, around 1.5 years old and pretty much toast now. Barnicles on it after 2-3 weeks these days.

Much easier for me to just stick with the same paint but I will be changing color from green to grey. Boat lives up the weiti river.

37 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

My boat currently has warpaint on it, around 1.5 years old and pretty much toast now. Barnicles on it after 2-3 weeks these days.

Much easier for me to just stick with the same paint but I will be changing color from green to grey. Boat lives up the weiti river.

If its any consolation, my copper coat has completely packed up, in the Weiti. Gave it a clean and burnish and within a month has 2 inch black trees growing all over it...

The CC is 7 or 8 years old (I need to check), but I am actively considering what I'm going to do. New CC, or go back to a traditional AF.

Related to that, I am wondering if the warm dry weather has lead the Weiti, and other estuary environments, to just go full nuclear for growth. Very warm water, gentle flows of high nutrients etc...

Yes fish I agree, the river seems to be a great inviroment for growth at the moment. Even my dinghy can have barnicles on it after a week or 2 in the water...

My keel and rudder which were painted about 8 months ago are fairing much better to the growth but the waterline which has very thin antifoul now really grows quick and is hard to clean off. I think I will be adding a few extra layers to the waterline this time around.

5 hours ago, B00B00 said:

Hi Josh

We have vivid currently and is just over a year old and is absolutely stuffed! Waiting for our haul out in March when we re paint topsides.

We are going to change to Warpaint. I have heard war paint is tested in the River so should perform the best. I also had a boat on the grid next to me which has Warpaint which was 12 months old and hasn't been cleaned and the guy just used a light brush and cleaned it in 30min and I was on the water blaster for almost 2 hours.

I’ve used warpaint for years and really like it.

It can be scrubbed which is good if your racing

The travel lift guys always are surprised How easy it cleans up when I do a lift and wash.

I also buy cleaning product through the company so maybe I do a deal ?

On 14/02/2021 at 5:47 PM, Fogg said:

Yes I’m happy with the look but the reality of cleaning to avoid looking scruffy might become tiresome. It’s Vivid White.

E926A755-56A6-4CEB-95F7-CF22590FFE75.jpeg

This is what I'm using...easy to clean. Will need a recoat shortly.