primer before applying new antifoul?

Oh that is strange, I am talking Tamaki river, Milford Creek and Westhaven I am getting three years at each currently -Yes the boats are raced so I am fussy -but dont scrub it wipe it . 25' light displacement keeler 4L, 10M heavier disp keeler 7 L

Any less and you will fail, I have no barnacles and only slime to wipe.

Talking about sanding antifoul, I have found using a tungsten blade paint scraper really handy for tidying up after water blasting. I have previously sanded (using No 5), but one of the guys in the haulout yard suggested I try this, and it worked a charm. Just takes a light run over to shift any lumps and bumps. I should say I'm not looking for a mirror finish but it was a huge time saver.

Linbide Scraper 50mm

• Like 1

Update.

Hauled out this morning and waterblasted mainly slime and light clusters of tiny barnacles of what looks/acts/smell like #5 that is at least 2 years old.

I was pleasantly surprised.  A big buildup on the bottom leading edge of the keel and one water intake (toilet) has a mussel growing in it, other than that just what you would hope for after a year of indolent disrespect by the owner!

The #5 has been applied over something else and has not bonded well in a couple of locations.  After discussion, we have decided to sand and feather and apply primocon in those locations, War Paint applied direct over the rest.

Thinking is we will be out again next year for a full hull paint and possibly up and over the top.  We will do a full strip below the waterline then and set a new baseline that we can stick to after that.

Thanks for the great input and discussion everyone - feel free to continue.

On 15/02/2021 at 11:29 AM, B00B00 said:

Anyone have experience with Warpaint?

My boat currently has warpaint on it, around 1.5 years old and pretty much toast now. Barnicles on it after 2-3 weeks these days.

Much easier for me to just stick with the same paint but I will be changing color from green to grey. Boat lives up the weiti river.

I have war paint on the new boat which was supposedly applied in Feb last year and is absolutely stuffed now. Coming out at Easter and I will go back to Ultra 2 which is what I had on the boat just sold. I have someone who cleans regularly so the Ultra 2 seems fine in that scenario. I'll have to apply undercoat and I see the specs say 4 to 5 coats 😒. Has anyone gotten away with fewer?

Lifted Fogg this morning for an hours work on SD leg inc changing oil from GL5 to correct GL4. Took opp for a light pressure wash - after only 2 months the Vivid is showing a lot of growth. Maybe it’s the white that’s highlighting it more than black or maybe it’s the warm conditions or maybe Vivid is rubbish. Anyway, the painters took pictures to talk to the rep about it.

DAF7D0A5-4E82-4C5C-AF28-D3339BCAB3B7.jpeg

4873386E-8F54-4B03-BE43-0643A7EF5BE1.jpeg

D5E67D25-2137-4B8F-A6A8-DC379D8C7FD2.jpeg

I've used vivid on and around my strut area, along side 3 other paints as on the hull in various combinations over the last 3 years, trying to be a bit scientific about it.

the vivid was crap any way you look at it, smooth for racing but needs cleaning way more than anything else and barnacles love it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KM... said:

With the water in marinas being hot growth is all on.

What's the thru hull midships that whatever come out of goes upwards, exhaust maybe??

I’ve got about 15 through hulls so not sure which one you mean but maybe watermaker (which has a grill cover plus forward facing scoop for making water underway)? The big units with growth on are ground plates for boat plus various equipment.

1 hour ago, KM... said:

With the water in marinas being hot growth is all on.

What's the thru hull midships that whatever come out of goes upwards, exhaust maybe??

Genset exhaust does actually exit  underwater (to reduce noise pollution)

Update from the op who is far more impoverished than others in this thread.

OK, turns out that we are going to fully strip the existing layers.  Every time I wet-sanded, a new pressure bubble and crack formed in the upper layers (about five different layers of af)  Looks like it hasn't bonded at about layer 3 but was dealt with by heavy application of the next coat.

I started scraping today with a carbide scraper, but, fork that.  Soda blasting is arranged for next weekend.

Do it once eh.

Plenty to get on with - a new TP32 auto-tiller, the solar panel, and an isotherm fridge unit to fit over the next two weeks...

Yup - been through all that thanks BP!

Upside - it seems everyone at PYBC has either owned or knows of a Saraband at some stage.  They are all coming out of the (ply)woodwork...

Its telling that they all say they loved them but none own one now....

On 18/02/2021 at 5:11 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

sanding antifouling sucks.

IMG_20210218_165218.jpg

If you talk to the H&S department, you can get these full face visors that stop the toxic sh*t getting all over your face / eyes etc. Or you can get someone else to soda blast it for you...