Dream boat

They are great boats,Wheels. Remember Primrose designed Sir Francis Chichester’s rtw boat “Gypsy Moth”. Also a bunch of early Moody designs (another bullet proof top quality marque). And I think the Challenger shares the same hull design as Voyager which are also highly capable, widely travelled yachts.

Go raid the piggy bank..

Even if I placed the piggy bank under a huge hydraulic press, I still won't be able to squeeze enough out if it.
Plus the owners are in Germany and I would think that the purchaser is going to be up for a large GST bill on top of asking price. Do we have any import duties on Boats?

1 minute ago, wheels said:

Even if I placed the piggy bank under a huge hydraulic press, I still won't be able to squeeze enough out if it.
Plus the owners are in Germany and I would think that the purchaser is going to be up for a large GST bill on top of asking price. Do we have any import duties on Boats?

Already paid (see Q&A in listing) (price might come down if it's not sold in 6 months)

what motor and how hp and hours has tax been paidcollhbell(13)  03:27 pm, Sat, 13 Feb

O

Volvo Penta 29hp, Hours TBC, All taxes paid.

3 hours ago, wheels said:

I think I just found my dream boat. 

I'm also questioning the singularity (is that even a word?) of that statement wheels.

I've got about 6 or 8 dreamboats on my list at all times... ;)

Yes despite overseas owner it’s in NZ and no more tax to pay. It’s a lovely boat but not a trendy one. I think it’s here at GH - if I spot it I’ll let you know. Based on what I’ve seen of similar era & style boats over the last few months, if it was me I would open negs around $70k and expect to close by $75k max.

1 minute ago, Steve Pope said:

There are quite a few yachts "stranded" around NZ with their overseas owners unable to come to nz tosail them away.

Same story all around the world. That’s how I bought my current boat (it was in Langkawi and owner in China unable to get to it).

3 hours ago, Fogg said:

They are great boats,Wheels. Remember Primrose designed Sir Francis Chichester’s rtw boat “Gypsy Moth”. Also a bunch of early Moody designs (another bullet proof top quality marque). And I think the Challenger shares the same hull design as Voyager which are also highly capable, widely travelled yachts.

Go raid the piggy bank..

Being a little pedantic, Gypsy Moth IV was designed by Illingworth and Primrose, Angus being very much the junior member of the partnership at the time. Chichester was very critical about the yacht, however Illingworth provides alot of detail in his fine book "Further Offshore" of all the requirements of Chichester's which lead to a rather compromised design.

John Illingworth pushed UK offshore racing to a new level, and was an active campaigner with his Malham series of yachts. Myth of Malham won just about everything possible in her day in the northern hemisphere. He was also the instigator and first winner of the Sydney Hobart race in 1945.

14 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Same story all around the world. That’s how I bought my current boat (it was in Langkawi and owner in China unable to get to it).

Did you go up and view it before you bought it Fogg?  Interested in how difficult it was to get a good survey and get it home etc.  Assume you shipped it home?

3 hours ago, muzled said:

Did you go up and view it before you bought it Fogg?  Interested in how difficult it was to get a good survey and get it home etc.  Assume you shipped it home?

No I couldn’t view it - was right in the middle of Covid for NZ and everyone else in that region. A few WhatsApp video calls helped give more comfort of the reality behind the brochure pics but buying sight unseen was still obviously a risk but in our view worth it to get the boat we knew we wanted. It took several weeks from initial online viewing to find and arrange survey, delivery skipper, shipping to NZ, insurance etc etc. Was a full-on project to manage (I didn’t use a NZ agent / broker to source the boat and arrange logistics I did that all myself). I only used a NZ clearing agent to help as Fogg came off the cargo ship in Auckland. End to end took several months.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, marinheiro said:

Being a little pedantic, Gypsy Moth IV was designed by Illingworth and Primrose, Angus being very much the junior member of the partnership at the time. Chichester was very critical about the yacht, however Illingworth provides alot of detail in his fine book "Further Offshore" of all the requirements of Chichester's which lead to a rather compromised design.

John Illingworth pushed UK offshore racing to a new level, and was an active campaigner with his Malham series of yachts. Myth of Malham won just about everything possible in her day in the northern hemisphere. He was also the instigator and first winner of the Sydney Hobart race in 1945.

Yes fair point I’d forgotten how critical Chichester was of sone aspects of heavy weather performance. But to be fair it was an early design and the later efforts with Moody, for example, were undoubtedly very successful. You can even see some hints of early Moodys in this Challenger.