To re-core or not to re-core?

Following on from my mast post topic...I got the mast foot plate and the compression post plate off, reamed out the old holes (and also removed some old deck hardware around the mast base that was no longer in use) and found wet plywood. It’s not soaking wet but still wet to the touch. It dries up in the sun pretty quickly. 

I’ve spent the morning with a drill and Allen key and removed a decent amount of wet core around all the holes. It’s coming out like pulled pork consistency, stringy and in chunks. 

At what point do you call it quits and just cut the core out and replace? We have a pretty warm week forecast (except for one day of rain) so more drying is possible. 

It can track thru ply a long way. Ideally you need to cut it out as far as it is wet/rotten/soft. Then it must dry before repair. You need a moisture meter to test when it's dry enough, and it can take a long time to properly dry. You can buy a moisture meter (stanley) from bunnings for a reasonable price if you can't borrow one.

This is why fixings in or on ply hulls should be drilled oversize, filled with epoxy, cured, then drilled to suit fittings. But usually they are not.....

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Island Time said:

This is why fixings in or on ply hulls should be drilled oversize, filled with epoxy, cured, then drilled to suit fittings. But usually they are not.....

I would have saved hours of work over the years if this was done from the factory.