Newbie Hobie 16 owner and fresh off the boat Pom - questions ;)

Hi folks,

I've not been in NZ long, I was in Sydney previously and Dubai before that. I'm currently living on the North Shore

I've just purchased a second hand 1983 (I think) Hot Flash Hobie 16. I haven't sailed one before so the learning curve is going to need to be steep.

I've got a few questions, please bear with me as I get to grip with things.

1 - I'm planning to sail solo quite a bit and want to have a righting bag system on the boat as a get out of jail card. I've been having a look around various marine shops and chandleries today but haven't found a bag suitable yet. Any tips and tricks on where to find something?

2 - Where are the best places in Auckland or on the web to find the various bits and pieces needed for small boat sailing here in NZ? Today I've visited Smart Marine, Fosters, Sailors & Marine-Deals to see whats around.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Ian

I've used a dry bag on the top of the mast, chdap and does the job especially when sailing solo.  If you are real keen you can fabricate a smaller mainsail and i've also seen one converted to a furling jib which means no battens in the jib but ok for cruising.  

I sailed our old Hobie 16 solo around the Gulf great boat and pretty manageable if you keep your eyes open! 

On 24/02/2021 at 8:42 PM, southernman said:

I've used a dry bag on the top of the mast, chdap and does the job especially when sailing solo.  If you are real keen you can fabricate a smaller mainsail and i've also seen one converted to a furling jib which means no battens in the jib but ok for cruising.  

I sailed our old Hobie 16 solo around the Gulf great boat and pretty manageable if you keep your eyes open! 

Dan @ the Watershed suggested getting my second set of tired sails cut down into something more manageable if I feel the need. It is a hell of a lot of sail for some one new to cats and sailing solo. We also talked about Hobie 14 sail options too

First things first, I need to get it on the water a few times, that will be the best way to have information to make decisions