NZ Coastal Shipping

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not sure what the problem is with the element Carbon "C", but if you are talking about embedded emissions Musk is just a hypocrite. There  is significant expenditure of petroleum and coal type pr

yep. that's me. 4 cents a km in my MiEV. Good for the planet and good for my wallet despite the fools who don't understand basic science and arithmetic youtube.com/watch?v=A6SxgKvsBmM

OMFG do we have a climate catastrophist amongst us??

Posted Images

Interesting, perhaps, factually correct no. And not even close.

Pulling boxes off ships that are already running down the coast and putting them on smaller more expensive boats that then have to run down the coast is a stupid idea.

This countrys productivity is so low now, why on earth would we just add a whole level of complexity, cost and time and congestion at ports already congested?

Some people, with zero knowledge of how transport and shipping work, for reasons that escape me, love to come up with hairbrained schemes to fix a problem in logistics that dont exist in the first place. (and I put Peters and Jones firmly in that camp, at least we knew they were doing it for votes I suppose).

To put the demise of coastal shipping in the same sentence as drug abuse is patently ridiculous.

Ive never heard of this so called reporter... to only interview a union hack is hardly reporting.

Lord give me strength.

Back to logistics we did have a local shipping fleet that was built over more than 150 years, so it has worked in the past (no guarantee of the future of course). The model of delivery to major ports then distribution by truck has been adopted. The delivery from major ports to minor ports by coastal freighters for local distribution seems plausible for bulk items, can explain why thats not feasible and what personal experience you have that supports your strong viewpoint. 

Destruction of local business and the consolidation of jobs by a monopoly (legislated or not) is not unique to shipping, dont you remember the days of the warehouse expansion strip mining the livelihoods from small town retailers and their employees. No judgement here, it is what it is.

Edited by Tamure

It may seem that way, but it may not be.

There is nothing stopping a coastal shipping operator opening up in competition (or in coordination with) road transport.  Several NZ freight companies would be large enough ot do it now if it had good economic advantage.  They haven't, although they do occasionally raise it.

If you want a really good read (partly sleep enhancing) on the issues and opportunities, this is probably it despite its age.

There is some coastal shipping, mostly being containers to ports that the big boys don't go to or not on the main highway route (sea version) Auckland, Napier, Wellington, Lyttleton and Dunedin. When we had an effective coastal fleet there were no containers, everything loaded by waterside workers. It ranged from the Holm line, small coasters up and down the coast and out the the Chathams, up to Union line ones that were considerably larger.

1 hour ago, Veladare said:

Ive never heard of this so called reporter... to only interview a union hack is hardly reporting.

Gordon has been around a long time, possibly too long. Possibly also falling into the clickbait area more in an effort to get cut thru and paid as most of the media seems to be these days.  He's not a fruitloop like to many but the odd thing suggests he maybe a bit tired and struggling a bit.

1 hour ago, Veladare said:

Lord give me strength.

You're invoking the 'a magical flying invisible spell casting Wizard', that's huge call these days ya brave bastard ;)

Today you say 'FFS, I think I need a hug'