Coastguard nark

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/124392008/auckland-coastguards-tonic-water-dropoff-was-dangerous-eyewitness-says

Firstly the guy that went to the media is a twat

That said, questions should be asked

• Where did the "tonic water" come from, if the immediate  beach then okay, if mechanics bay then how come the public has to pay $280 an hour to be rescued but you can run drinks to Waiheke for $100
  • Have maritime rules been broken? The picture clearly shows more than 5knots within 50m

I have some sympathy with the coastguard volunteers (if they are) but equally a little "WTF were you thinking?" Everyone has a camera these days and can send stuff to the media in seconds

• Upvote 3

What a pathetic thing to do . His efforts at dobbing would be better put to potting fizzers and jet skis actually endangering  people. From my recent experiences this is the norm anyway.  Sincerely hope this is the end of the matter. And why not take the $100 donation ?

Gee, last week everyone around here was wanting people locked up for doing the same thing.

Is that hypocritical?

That said, if you had a problem with it, you could have sorted it with CG, and not gone to the media. Don't think it is wise having your name in the media for slagging off a valuable volunteer organisation.

2 minutes ago, Fish said:

Don't think it is wise having your name in the media for slagging off a valuable volunteer organisation.

He didn't

The “high-speed” delivery took place on Saturday evening at Auckland’s Waiheke Island, shortly after children were swimming in the area, according to the eyewitness who asked not to be named.

Couple of years ago I had an incident (actually non-incident) with a guy landing at Whitianga airfield. A third party saw it and could have done one of 3 things

• Have a talk to me
  • Have a talk to the airfield operator
  • Have a talk to the club president

But no, what he decided to do was report me to CAA who investigated and determined there was nothing to take action over. Regardless the matter will sit in a file somewhere. 

In the CG case it appears he went to Coastguard so there was no need to go to the media. In my book he's a nark

• Upvote 1

Fully support the guy reporting this stupid and illegal behaviour and I note that CG has owned up; good. It would also be nice if people on this thread could RTFA. If your knickers are knotted because someone reported what they thought was a safety violation at an airfield then why carry that through here? AFWIW reporting "possible" safety violations should be encouraged. NZ safety culture in so many areas is woeful and needs to change.

46 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

In the CG case it appears he went to Coastguard so there was no need to go to the media. In my book he's a nark

I've been thinking about this. I wouldn't assume the complainant went to the media. I've had interactions with the CG PR lady in the past, and my general understanding is her view is that any publicity is good publicity. Either that, or CG have some form of reporting process that makes complaints visible to diligent journalists (I know, don't laugh).

The did manage to get into the story that that CG crew assisted 2 stranded boats in the day, and a couple of other good little PR titbits. Note also that the complaint wasn't named, and there was nothing said that he went to the media. Normally, in the media, is someone complains publicly about something, there is a photo of that person standing looking staunch or something.

It is possible the CG put this out to the media themselves, just to keep their profile up. It is possible the complainant went discretely to CG, as he had legit concerns, and had nothing to do with it getting into the media.

47 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

Fully support the guy reporting this stupid and illegal behaviour and I note that CG has owned up; good. It would also be nice if people on this thread could RTFA. If your knickers are knotted because someone reported what they thought was a safety violation at an airfield then why carry that through here? AFWIW reporting "possible" safety violations should be encouraged. NZ safety culture in so many areas is woeful and needs to change.

PS, what the f*ck (sorry, WTF) is RTFA and AFWIW?

• Upvote 1

Possibly the Coast Guard released the article to front-foot it - so as to avoid a less positive report.

And - one man's nark is another man's whistleblower.  The real problem here is the motorist not being sufficiently organised to have enough tonic.  Should be banned from boating.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

questions should be asked

• Where did the "tonic water" come from, if the immediate  beach then okay, if mechanics bay then how come the public has to pay $280 an hour to be rescued but you can run drinks to Waiheke for $100
  • Have maritime rules been broken? The picture clearly shows more than 5knots within 50m

Point 1. agreed. the tonic might have come from the city, and a 100 buck donation doesn't go far for that. The possibility that the crew was no longer on station for that time to perhaps tend to an emergency call should also not be overlooked.

Point 2. Yes.

Over the last 15y, I've seen some pretty poor and unprofessional behaviour from Coastguard crews. I have and am still a member however, because they also do some good work.

But by God there needs to be a serious culture shake up in NZ in general, and even on this site. Dangerous sh*t is dangerous sh*t and it doesn't matter if you're wearing a uniform or not. No one should be cut some slack because of the organisation to which they belong, their wealth, or the social circles in which they move. This episode suggests that there are a certain number of people who actually believe that there should be a set of rules for the plebs and a set of different rules for the rich and entitled.

• Upvote 2

What if the CG set up a delivery service supplying vessels around the NZ coast with food, drinks, ice cream. $100 per delivery,  service may be delayed if someone is drowning  

Then they could stop whining about govt funding and keep their noses out of public policy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/03/2021 at 6:45 AM, Black Panther said:

What if the CG set up a delivery service supplying vessels around the NZ coast with food, drinks, ice cream. $100 per delivery,  service may be delayed if someone is drowning  

Then they could stop whining about govt funding and keep their noses out of public policy. 

They could have a special siren that signalled when they were on a delivery run - I'd imagine something like this would work and be recognisable.