Consultation opens on proposed Bay of Islands marine mammal sanctuary

Interesting list of who has been consulted with, doesn’t appear to include any recreational boating representatives.

also, it seems contradictory to allow commercial operators to continue ?, if bow riding is bad, surely it should be restricted for all groups?, but it appears ok to continue to make money from them.

I get the need to do more to protect but all stakeholders should be consulted especially the group that appears to be most effected.

16 hours ago, Ed said:

Repercussions for yacht racing are pretty serious, it would basically be the end of any sailing regattas, including bay week in the greater bay area, and also the coastal classic would be hamstrung. Just imagine it, you come though the gap at Pearcy leading your division, find a dolphin, so you have to stop and drop sails, meanwhile your competitors sail 400m away and continue on their merry way

image.thumb.png.e2c7d954d3a3ec5990e95a49125a63a8.png

Honestly if you are worried about yacht racing - don't. A search on Dolphin numbers shows a 91% decline in Dolphins in the last 20 years (in BOI) - this makes it not only exceedingly unlikely that you will encounter a Dolphin (and more unlikely by the day) - but that by the time this proposal goes through there wont be any left.

Humans are doing a great job and wiping out another species regionally. Lets all oppose anything that might help so we can finish them off entirely.

• Upvote 3

The Elephant in the room is what do Dolphins feed on??? I think therein lies the answer, We have allowed over fishing in almost every piece of water that NZ has some control over. The almighty dollar has far more say than a Dolphin squeak. Where did the Kahawai go, Aus, to feed their salmon, Why is the Hauraki gulf a kina barren, gurnard, snapper etc gone. etc. etc. We along with just about every other nation like to eat them, could there be a link? They have to feed so they go elsewhere or die of starvation.

• Upvote 5
15 hours ago, Fogg said:

I agree that would be an annoying situation especially if the burden of proof was on me to prove I was not within 400m etc.

But that seems v unlikely and most probably a made up scenario (designed by your emailing friends who want to oppose the rule) to scare people.

The large representative organisation who asked me, and many others, for support I rate then very highly based just on their actions over many many years. For them to have concerns they must have good reasons and I have zero that gives me even the slightest thing to doubt their sincerity. For them to say this means they must be in receipt of more info than me and by the looks everyone here. 

I personally don't have anywhere enuff information to make a call either way.

1 minute ago, KM... said:

The large representative organisation who asked me, and many others, for support I rate then very highly based just on their actions over many many years. For them to have concerns they must have good reasons and I have zero that gives me even the slightest thing to doubt their sincerity. For them to say this means they must be in receipt of more info than me and by the looks everyone here. 

So its not Yachting NZ?

3 minutes ago, Fish said:

So its not Yachting NZ?

😄😄 Correct.

52 minutes ago, KM... said:

So it sounds like you can't tell us who this group is or why we shouldn't support this, but just trust us?

1 hour ago, bigal.nz said:

So it sounds like you can't tell us who this group is or why we shouldn't support this, but just trust us?

Oh I can tell you but I'm not sure if I should on Crew due to it's habit of assuming rather than reading. I am genuinely concerned it'll be slammed due to some muppets crap comprehension skills or bullshit assumptions as we see happen far far too often.

What a sad thing to have to write but I suppose it's just a reflection of what happens when you let the righteous, the woke, the muppets scream rather than just tell them what they should be told being 'piss off and get a life'.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, KM... said:

Oh I can tell you but I'm not sure if I should on Crew due to it's habit of assuming rather than reading. I am genuinely concerned it'll be slammed due to some muppets crap comprehension skills or bullshit assumptions as we see happen far far too often.

What a sad thing to have to write but I suppose it's just a reflection of what happens when you let the righteous, the woke, the muppets scream rather than just tell them what they should be told being 'piss off and get a life'.

So you know who it is but can't tell us because then we'd read it and some pinko commie would object to it without being able to read it properly and object to it because they are just too ill-informed to be worthy of having an opinion about something that they know nothing about but that's ok because some people who know lots about everything haven't actually asked to read it because they don't need to basically due to them thinking the same way as some guys over there who had a friend who read something once and thought it was ok but then some other guys came along and objected because that was part of the process unless it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

So you know who it is but can't tell us because then we'd read it and some pinko commie would object to it without being able to read it properly and object to it because they are just too ill-informed to be worthy of having an opinion about something that they know nothing about but that's ok because some people who know lots about everything haven't actually asked to read it because they don't need to basically due to them thinking the same way as some guys over there who had a friend who read something once and thought it was ok but then some other guys came along and objected because that was part of the process unless it isn't.

I dunno how to do the upvote thingy Dtwo but that's worthy of a raft of 'em. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

I do, I can, don't know, yes probably, No I defiantly wouldn't call them that, they are welcome and I encourage them to do so...... and about there you lost me completely sorry.

• Like 1

Consultation is just a patsy to democracy, The sooner you peasants realise that the bureaucracy,overpaid and underworked are a new privileged class who will decide whats best for them the better off they will be.This is just another small cog in the big wheel of power and control to the chosen (by themselves) few, Rarely nowadays is consultation taken any notice of

Did you Aucklanders get consulted on this one?

" All owners or person in charge of any craft in the Auckland region must ensure that the level of fouling on the hull and in niches of the craft does not exceed ‘light fouling’."

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/our-plans-strategies/topic-based-plans-strategies/environmental-plans-strategies/docsregionalpestmanagementstrategy/rpmp-section-7.7-regional-marine-programmes.pdf

Pretty easy pickings around the Marinas I think, rubbing their hands together for the fine income?

Thats even harsher than the Northland rules, up here your allowed to have a dirty boat just not allowed to move it to another area.

6 hours ago, Dtwo said:

So you know who . .. . .    

Brilliant - except you should have inserted somewhere ". . . and they said they could tell us, but then they would have to shoot us . . " 

14 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

Did you Aucklanders get consulted on this one?

" All owners or person in charge of any craft in the Auckland region must ensure that the level of fouling on the hull and in niches of the craft does not exceed ‘light fouling’."

I didn't and I do tend to get most things like that. I get a lot from the Council but most is just marketing themselves as the best thing since sliced bread...most don't get past the delete button.

When did that one pop up BOIGuy?

So now you've all had a chance to vent your ignorance and demonstrated your clubs/organisations have lazy management who don't seem to care much about the environment and boatings future as a mass participation activity nor even informing their members of these things, mind you lazy management can only get there due to lazy members, back to the topic on hand.

So we object to this proposed Dolphin plan or not?

Or do we just object to the fine print, specifically around onus of proof and things like that?

I support the proposal in principle but with some conditions:

1. Yacht racing excluded

2. Onus of proof on prosecution not defence

3. Applies equally up all boats private & commercial

4. Report back after first 2 yrs to confirm any measurable impact / improvement that can be attributed to the new policy - and public review to continue as-is, adjust details further or abandon altogether

I’d also like to see some more evidence tying this policy together with others - like fishing policies - to confirm a multi-pronged approach that is actually working & workable for everyone ie dolphins, boaties, commercials and law enforcers.