Consultation opens on proposed Bay of Islands marine mammal sanctuary

If they ever releases any drafts, sure. But you could be too late to have any input into it by then.

That's why they are asking for your opinion now.

It's good that we're getting this out there now and talking about it. The proposal is just that, a proposal. The statutory regulations and any legislation have not been drafted. This will all come later after the feedback reshapes the proposal. 

The government requested proposal is all that has been produced so far. 

Along with the proposal there are drop in sessions for people to go along and hear what has be said about proposal. Disappointingly I note that none of these are in Auckland, but hey, NZ does not revolve around it. 

Statutory public consultation on the proposal opens on April 12th.  

At that point, we the public get to have our say on the proposal and make any recommendations. We don't get to change the proposal it is too late for that and the drafting of it was not public. 

Everyone is able to download and read the proposal here and then when consultation opens on April 12th, people who want to, can have there say about it. 

What's missing for me is that there is no presentation being given in Auckland. Auckland boaties are not insignificant users of Pewhairangi.

I am going to contact them on Monday and ask if they will consider doing a presentation in Auckland.

PLEASE UPVOTE IF YOU'D CONSIDER GOING TO AN AUCKLAND PRESENTATION. 

PS: I hate that they used Dropbox for this. 

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

It's good that we're getting this out there now and talking about it. The proposal is just that, a proposal. The statutory regulations and any legislation have not been drafted. This will all come later after the feedback reshapes the proposal. 

The government requested proposal is all that has been produced so far. 

Along with the proposal there are drop in sessions for people to go along and hear what has be said about proposal. Disappointingly I note that none of these are in Auckland, but hey, NZ does not revolve around it. 

Statutory public consultation on the proposal opens on April 12th.  

At that point, we the public get to have our say on the proposal and make any recommendations. We don't get to change the proposal it is too late for that and the drafting of it was not public. 

Everyone is able to download and read the proposal here and then when consultation opens on April 12th, people who want to, can have there say about it. 

What's missing for me is that there is no presentation being given in Auckland. Auckland boaties are not insignificant users of Pewhairangi.

I am going to contact them on Monday and ask if they will consider doing a presentation in Auckland.

PLEASE UPVOTE IF YOU'D CONSIDER GOING TO AN AUCKLAND PRESENTATION. 

PS: I hate that they used Dropbox for this. 

Thanks for the link. That is the first formal document I have seen.

Almost say by asking for public input us just token gesture and the ink will be drying now in the formal rules,regulations.Doc will have all signed off before the consultation process has ended.

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Almost say by asking for public input us just token gesture and the ink will be drying now in the formal rules,regulations.Doc will have all signed off before the consultation process has ended.

Exactly, that's why you need to get in early, earlier the better.

• Upvote 2

The dolphins in the BOI have declined 90% in the last 20 years (from 300 to 30).

The scientists that have studied these dolphins have determined that the main reason for the decline is that the dolphins spend too much time playing with boats and humans, and not enough time feeding.

But maybe yachties are too selfish to change their behaviour to try and save the few remaining dolphins? 😢

• Like 1

Every being has an inbuilt hunger alarm.If they are playing with boats it means they are not hungry.Do they go to university to learn different. Suggest they do more research on fish stocks

Have to agree with you Vic.

But the devil is in the small print not the big scary headlines. Count the number of times boats are mention in the pitch, I copied it below for you.

Is the decline due to death or leaving the area?

Distribution, habitat use and data-set comparison – the decline in the Bay of islands is likely due to emigration rather than mortality. Scientist believe this is the case as the North Island population is not declining at the same rate and individuals that are no longer using the bay of islands have been identified in other areas such as Doubtless Bay, Great Barrier Island and Whangarei Harbour.

But if you drill down below that you'll find a 5 year old report commissioned by DOC into the responces of Bottlenose Dolphins to vessel activity in Northland. Specifically in relation to the commercial operators of tours in the Bay which do do some Dolphin and Whale watching trips at times but with a little look at boats in general. It is based on data collected between 2012 and 2015. It also has recommendations.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/conservation/marine-and-coastal/bottlenose-responses-dolphin-vessel-activity-northland.pdf

Many will recognise one of the reports supervisors, he's been in the media a lot recently.

On 19/03/2021 at 7:18 PM, bigal.nz said:

Can you please post a copy of the draft regulation for us to read?

There's no requirement for any draft regulation to be released. The mechanism for implementation is legislated in the Marine Mammal Protection Act. 

While DOC might go through another round of public consultation they are not required to, if they do will depend on the feedback. 

After the consultation period ends, a Gazette notice will be drawn up and given to the minister of conservation to sign. This will then be published in the NZ Gazette.

That's as draft as the public will get to see it - effectively in its final form. 

At that point it is subject to a 28 days notice period for submissions and then (if not changed) becomes enforceable by DoC rangers.

Once it's published, it is really too late to have your say without going through the courts. 

The time to give feedback is off the back of the proposal, when the consultation period begins. That's the only practical way to influence the outcome. 

57 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

So much for the theory that hanging around boats distracts them from feeding.

I read a post recently that the acoustics in the water in front and around a boat got all screwed up and the Dolphins couldn't communicate when they were wake surfing. The post continued say that some dolphins became addicted to the wake surfing and when they finally stopped, they became separated from their pod, unable communicate or return to their family.

That was how DOC had described it to the person posting. I definitely found that very interesting and concerning at the same time. I cannot even fathom the complexity of, and the number of observations, that would of been required for scientist/researchers to discover this.

What a load of shite, is DOC seriously believing that most of us are responsible for the splitting up of hundreds of pods of Dolphins?

Dolphins have been playing with boats since man put to sea, didn't seem to matter for the first few thousands of years. 

I sailed with several hundred dolphins in the last two weeks in at least 8 different pods, must have been devastating for them.

The most spectacular was in a pitch black early morning leaving the Barrier, white torpedo light shot past me and flipped, called in his mates and put on a light show for about 10 minutes. They didn't seem very confused and all swum off together.

I never usually notice the dolphins until the flip near the boat, no way I would notice them 300 meters away.

• Like 1