Sever Earthquake off NI East coast and Tsunami Warning

Love hot Hot chili sauce,freash red/green chilis with jalapenos and these little tiny red ball thing,habernashi??only need 1/2 a ball,onion,sugar,apple cider salt ,some use tomato from can but i use coconut milk/cream and simmer for 1hr.Goes with everything. Must make another batch Sunday.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Love hot Hot chili sauce,freash red/green chilis with jalapenos and these little tiny red ball thing,habernashi??only need 1/2 a ball,onion,sugar,apple cider salt ,some use tomato from can but i use coconut milk/cream and simmer for 1hr.Goes with everything. Must make another batch Sunday.

Tried making my own once.  Used my cutting/dicing hand to wipe my eyes part way through.

When I recovered, I vowed to always buy it in a tightly sealed bottle, never to make it ever again.

31 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Tried making my own once.  Used my cutting/dicing hand to wipe my eyes part way through.

When I recovered, I vowed to always buy it in a tightly sealed bottle, never to make it ever again.

disposable gloves,forgot the garlic and best to let simmer outside on a gas ring.

I'm all for tsunami warnings to low level towns etc., and it's good to get people away from shore levels.  But it's ridiculous that people get in their cars and drive to the top of the nearest hill, over 80m or more above sea level. The Aceh and Fukashima tsunamis were exceptional in their heights, and they were about5-8m above normal sea levels. This one was forecast to lift between 0.3 and 1m, so 20m above  high tide would have been plenty it seems to me.

Also, we need a likely time of arrival. If the earthquake was offshore, and the forecasted arrival of any surge was plus 6  hours, it doesn't seem appropriate to get people up on the hill for that length of time. As it  happens, the weather was fine. If this happens in the winter and it's blowing its kneecaps off, and pouring with rain ....

Maybe a more graded response is needed instead of a wholesale 'panic' approach, otherwaise we risk getting into a 'cry wolf' situation and people will be reluctant to move when they really need to.

1 hour ago, armchairadmiral said:

Just another part of Miraka Honi's  ( NZ )governing Communists master plan to keep the peasants living in fear. Thus they are controlled. And we've got a lot more to come over the next 2 plus years.

you need to lay off your special source AA, you are in danger of coming out with some quality conspiracy theories...

How many major, damaging quakes did John Key deal with? They put the fear of god into large parts of the population.

I'm picking our gay black feminist communist leadership has other cunning intrigue to concern themselves with as they wring their hands and cackle into their copies of Mao's Little Red Book.

They leave confounding the public and destabilising common sense to their minions.  The halls of science are filled with those whose sole personal satisfaction comes from issuing sweeping and misleading directives designed to cause widespread panic and to weaken the moral and physical fibre of the nation.

Proof of this comes from the 2010 Christchurch quake.  Tiny by global standards and easily dealt with by market responses, and yet the minions fretted and issued dire warnings of liquifaction (proof in itself that there is no shortage of water under Canterbury despite the howls from the leftist greenie media), and further quakes.

Pah.  What did they know.  Some even suggested that several buildings probably shouldn't be reoccupied but the Market stood firm under the clear-eyed leadership of the then clever and economically astute government.

It wasn't a martket failure, or a result of under-responsiveness that led ot 137 deaths in FEbruary 2011.  It was all those leftist journaists and students who deliberately chose to reenter the CTV building.  

Imagine how much worse it would have been if the authorities of the time had over-reacted and stopped people from entering dangerous buildings.  There could have been mass panic.

Then where would we have been?

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, alibaba said:

I'm all for tsunami warnings to low level towns etc., and it's good to get people away from shore levels.  But it's ridiculous that people get in their cars and drive to the top of the nearest hill, over 80m or more above sea level. The Aceh and Fukashima tsunamis were exceptional in their heights, and they were about5-8m above normal sea levels. This one was forecast to lift between 0.3 and 1m, so 20m above  high tide would have been plenty it seems to me.

Also, we need a likely time of arrival. If the earthquake was offshore, and the forecasted arrival of any surge was plus 6  hours, it doesn't seem appropriate to get people up on the hill for that length of time. As it  happens, the weather was fine. If this happens in the winter and it's blowing its kneecaps off, and pouring with rain ....

Maybe a more graded response is needed instead of a wholesale 'panic' approach, otherwaise we risk getting into a 'cry wolf' situation and people will be reluctant to move when they really need to.

HaHa Yes when the Fukashima tsunami was coming to NZ.I held a cub camp south of Orere Pt.We kept everyone out of the water but by midday and the incoming tide against a se,couldnt tell if it was the tsunami or not.So let them go kayaking,swiming etc.No one drowned so must of been all good.😀

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Proof of this comes from the 2010 Christchurch quake.  Tiny by global standards and easily dealt with by market responses, and yet the minions fretted and issued dire warnings of liquifaction (proof in itself that there is no shortage of water under Canterbury despite the howls from the leftist greenie media), and further quakes.

I thought this was a sailing/boating site not a political forum, but if this is allowed here is a response from someone who lives in Canterbury.

Yes there is plenty of water under Canterbury, problem is since the democraticly elected regional council was sacked by John Key we now have the equivalent in cows of the population of New York craping on it along with all the other stuff that gets put on the soil/shingle to get grass to grow. Would you allow this to happen to your Waitamata harbour that you don't even rely on to drink from?

As a first responder to the quakes it makes me sick to think that someone would use the event to try and score political points from the death of so many, but hey to this guy its all about the money.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, robbp said:

I thought this was a sailing/boating site not a political forum, but if this is allowed here is a response from someone who lives in Canterbury.

Yes there is plenty of water under Canterbury, problem is since the democraticly elected regional council was sacked by John Key we now have the equivalent in cows of the population of New York craping on it along with all the other stuff that gets put on the soil/shingle to get grass to grow. Would you allow this to happen to your Waitamata harbour that you don't even rely on to drink from?

As a first responder to the quakes it makes me sick to think that someone would use the event to try and score political points from the death of so many, but hey to this guy its all about the money.

Yeah it is supposed to be marine talk, Small talk is there for stuff like this, but some folk just can't help themselves.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, alibaba said:

This is kind of what I am nattering on about.
So my understanding is, the Gvt funded a string of sensor Bouy's that run along the Hikurangi and Kermadec Trench. The idea is to give us an early warning of what may be coming toward our shores. The reason is that the edge of the drop off was sounded several years back and what was found shocked the scientific guys. Large areas of the Trench has mud overhangs that can and have slid down the sides of the drop. When these go, they can produce a Mega Tsunami. These types of waves are measured in the many tens of metres in height.
This is why my question and I guess to some, maybe me harping on about why we are not getting better more accurate information.
During this latest quake, I went ti Geonet and they all seemed to be asleep at the Wheel. There had been no information for any of the quakes can absolutely no warning of a Tsunami. I can only guess that this is why there was a general warning that a wave may be coming. No one actually knew. To me, a warning centre not working is inexcusable.

• Upvote 1