new ac race dates set

The America's Cup match will begin on Wednesday (10th), with Auckland set to move out of Covid-19 alert level 3.

The match was scheduled to start this weekend, however with Auckland moved into level 3 last Sunday, the decision was made to postpone until Wednesday in the hope of sailing under a lower level.

This afternoon, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed Auckland would move back to level 2 at 6am on Sunday morning, which would allow for racing to get under way as planned on Wednesday.

There are two races scheduled for Wednesday, Friday and through the weekend to Monday at least, with Sunday being the earliest date for one team to secure the seven wins needed for victory. Thursday is the only scheduled rest day

and if a winner isn't found by Monday, racing will continue every day until one team reaches the seven-win mark.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-schedule-confirmed-for-cup-match-between-team-new-zealand-and-luna-rossa/E2XHOWUNACRVUGCG6LYGDZMFCM/

wasn't today supposed to be the first day of racing before the 1 week lockdown?

wind gusting around our house now would have made it exciting

seems it would have seen racing cancelled with gusts of 27 knots at bean rock

18 hours ago, KM... said:

Oh well only a week or so and the circus will be done and dusted at long last.

Really?  I’ll be disappointed. For some reason I seem to like a good sailing regatta. 

I’m surprised that this site isn’t filled with discussion, analysis, conspiracy that goes with having a world premier sailing event on our door step. 

this is a sailing forum after all.

One has to go to YouTube to get good discussion and it’s mostly with Poms (who are not bleating to much from having been eliminated). 

2 hours ago, erice said:

most of the "passionate" AC people

have descended to the 3rd pit of Ac Anarchy hell

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/forum/23-americas-cup-anarchy/

to do battle with their and other's demons

Essentially describes SA generally. 

I Generally avoid SA for that reason. It makes even the most vitriolic comments on crew look like a girl guide convention. 

• Upvote 1

They measure the wind over the 9th and 4th minutes before the start to decide if they will start.

They abandoned 2 races I think when the wind wheeled more 90° off course. Might have been less though.

Will they abandon if the gust go over the limit..... someone should look it up. I bet it's been covered in the SA forum....

Is unfortunate that the Italian Press have come out critical of the "lack of respect " shown towards them - I dont feel it is a one horse race at all. Team NZ supporters are hoping their boat can do the job but LR having been so race hardened since Dec I feel until they get together on the racetrack tomorrow (and following days) it is far too early to  make a call and it should be a great contest.....

• Upvote 1

It’s only the media that is doing that.

It’s impossible to tell until they are racing. Both of them look fast but:

KZ 7 was fast and got taken out in the challenger final

NzL something was fast in 2007 and lost the final 5-2

the Sanfran challenge was fast and was up 8-1 and we all know how that ended 

Tomorrow's racing between defender Team New Zealand and Italian challenger Luna Rossa will begin from 4.15pm on either race course A, offshore from Takapuna in Auckland's North Shore, or race course E, east of the city near Maraetai.

Those courses were chosen because they were "least likely to attract crowds on-land", being further from shore or further from Auckland, officials said.

Events at the America's Cup Race Village had also been cancelled, with big screen TVs no longer broadcasting live action from the harbour to prevent gatherings of more than 100 people and keep spectators 2m apart.

13 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

We'll be watching on our phones during Wednesday pre-start in Mercury Bay

Why on a phone? Hope you are not still waiting up the top of Centennial Drive for the Tsunami.

4 hours ago, erice said:

looking windy and maybe wet, wouldn't want to see pete fall off the back during the cross 

TNZ crew all cross in front of the mast. The helming position and mainsail trim are in front of the grinders.

true, falling off the back would be hard

but he did slip + fall today

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-team-new-zealand-claim-comfortable-victory-in-race-one-against-luna-rossa/MWH46R33F42SF2ECFGJYKLJGYI/

once again the starts seem to be of the utmost importance

jimmy threw away the first start

etnz the 2nd

and if etnz are going to slowly catch a few meters on each board

they need to stop losing them on tacks + gybes

Very even. I don't think ETNZ's speed advantage (if any) is significant enough to overcome losing a start.

Which I fear makes it all down to the pre-starts.

Which I fear favours LR / Spithill.