new ac race dates set

Now that was interesting. We saw it once before in a pre Ac regatta in New Yoirk for the last edition. TNZ was Well last then and everybody sailed into hole and TNZ sailed around them. If your off the foils you’re nowhere. 

I know the feeling of watching the fleet sail away so sympathetic to LRPP

Mr F Bruni citing the spectator fleet as a contributing reason for falling off the foils.

Looks like a dead man with his eyes open.

Mr J Spithill on the other hand...

Sitting in vorpal blade just below north head, looking forward to the racing........next boat is the mumm champers tender...

Great day today. Jimmy did damn well trying to maintain a cover in a slower boat, but eventually bounced ETNZ to the right, and into the RH shift. Italy just got out of phase. Once ETNZ had the leverage, game over. Great race...

• Upvote 2

PB called it the Ngapipi shift. If it’s true it worked. 

I don’t think it was a fluke. Did anyone watch the 49er worlds?  He did exactly the same thing in the last race to jump 4 places and win the event. 

• Upvote 3

What a phenomenal race. Before that final shift what stood out for me was those great sailors on ETNZ able to make split second decisions and throw everything at LRPP including that big wheelie around that 2nd last mark. 

Its a shame it took so long for a match race to happen but credit where its due. LR's move going to mark 3 was one out of the book and both teams deserve congrats for quite a show

• Upvote 1

I would like to know how it would have panned out if jimmy had tacked to cover when ETNZ went right instead of continuing on left. Perhaps they would have lost 100m but still kept close?

Then, they were on port but clear so could have kept on going with no  tacks to one for ETNZ?

Oh, if only you could simulate the different senarios.

Finally found the time to watch races 7, 8, & 9. Holy dang! Fantastic, crazy racing. Race 9 was awesome , and I gotta say that JS and LR dished it out and schooled etnz  on numerous occasions . 
But with a faster boat etnz just kept applying t pressure and pounced as soon as a mistake was made.

Great stuff and a worthy competitors.

with potentially 4 races to go, you’d have to be betting on etnz to get one more win, but I certainly wouldn’t write JS off. Never previously had any time for the guy but right now feeling I’ve been a bit harsh. he’s a class act and knows his shiit. Dangerous. 

• Like 1