COR ineos, to host a 1 - off uk race in 2022?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124570072/americas-cup-dean-barker-blasts-team-new-zealand-for-looking-to-take-cup-to-uk

A partnership with Team UK would bring their billionaire backer, INEOS boss Sir Jim Ratcliffe into play, and a radical concept could be part of any deal, according to NewstalkZB.

The waterfront talk is of a special challenge, as early as next year with Team New Zealand taking the Auld Mug to Britain to defend it in an around the Isle of Wight race to replicate the first America’s Cup battle in 1851 that sent sport’s oldest trophy off to the United States.

"There's some bizarre stuff going on. The ball's always bouncing in the America's Cup. They are talking about INEOS, I guess would be funding the whole thing. Both teams would go to the Isle of Wight and do an America's Cup like it was 200 years ago," former Team New Zealand star and America’s Cup hall of famer Brad Butterworth told NewstalkZB.

i doubt the nz public would agree with a 1 and done in the uk...

central gov promises cash

conditional on staying here

The Government has committed funding towards the next America's Cup defence after Team New Zealand's emphatic win against Luna Rossa.

Future funding will be, however, on the condition that the next defence will be held in New Zealand.

NZME understands that Team New Zealand's chief executive Grant Dalton and Ineos Team UK owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe have two options on the table for the next Cup defence.

One is in New Zealand in 2024, but the other which has been discussed is a one-off defence against Ineos Team UK excluding other challengers on the Isle of Wight next year.

To move the 37th America's Cup regatta to another location would be a difficult thing to stomach for New Zealand, and especially the Kiwi sailing community who are so proud to have our team win the Cup and host it here in the City of Sails.

We must avoid another Alinghi fiasco, but at what cost?

Perhaps the answer is to partner with Ineos Team UK backer Sir Jim Ratcliffe (as is rumoured to be the case) to have the British team become the Challenger of Record for the 37th America's Cup.

With a sizeable (think of a number and then put a lot of zeros after it) investment from Ratcliffe (Britain's wealthiest man), Dalton and Shoebridge could secure the cash they need to keep their team together and fend off the inevitable offers that their key team members will have put in front of them from other teams.

If this means that concessions need to be made to secure the deal, then that's preferable to a 2003 situation where the Kiwi team is decimated and left trying to recruit and rebuild.

One of those concessions could be to allow part of the Challenger Series, or even a one-off America's Cup regatta to be held in the UK.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-auts-sailing-professor-mark-orams-the-costly-conundrum-facing-team-new-zealand-after-beating-luna-rossa-to-claim-the-auld-mug/CJKNESOQUZJPUZCMZN2ZT2DCSU/

The round IOW race leak seems to have come from butterworth via the U.K. times. An LSD article, since pulled, suggested this race would be a “hype” race, and not actually part of the cup challenge.

AC37 to be in NZ back end of next year... allegedly 

apparently there will be 3 months discussion before final decisions made

i think there was supposed to be a race in the uk in 2020? but it got covid cancelled

certainly would be interesting to announce a hype DOG in the uk next year as a preclude to a 2024 race in auckland with the same class boats, you could even give the 'deed of gift race' some kind of point for the 2024? race 

and would help keep the current teams and some of the shore crew together and involved

apparently emirates may bail from their etnz sponsorship due to the poor state of airlines everywhere

that would be another good pointer to retaining this class

after all we never got to see them race in >15knots in their final forms 

and if the boats were already in the uk, they could squeeze in italy too

and why not the usa

which i think was the original plan for last year 

On the Emirates front, they left the building ages ago. No presence at all. Last time they had the dolly birds (air hostesses) standing around, plenty of corporate exposure etc. Not a jot this time, from the naming sponsor... You don't need to be too smart to understand an airline in this current pandemic environment is not going to be paying cash out for anything, least of all some sailing on the other side of the world.

I think GD is between a rock and a hard place. They have no title sponsor - they don't need to even announce that, Emirates were gone about a year ago, when international borders closed. If you have no cash, what do you do? No cash, no team. Finding a naming sponsor in the current global environment will be very difficult. Look to the last sponsors, Camper, Emirates, all multi-national corporates. The other teams have single billionaire backers with big egos.

The other major issue, if you were to be naming sponsor, you'd want to be able to get into NZ, along with your family, friends, business associates and anyone you want to brown nose. No one is going to hand over $10's of millions to watch it on TV...

So Dalts needs to see how far he can kick the can down the road. Borders may open, a world series may become viable, the value proposition of sponsorship may change. So if Sir Jim wants to fund Team NZ for a year, and the quid pro quo is a crack at the cup, then  I don't think Dalts has any choice.

I think a race around the Ilse of White in these things would be epic, but the locals will have every advantage. I'd be gutted if its a one and done. Love to see the race, but not for the cup. NZ needs a good cup cycle in Auckland. With the economies need for fiscal stimulus, perhaps the Govt could just outrightly fund the whole Team NZ, and recover the cost in PAYE of every challengers staff. Would be a good quid pro quo for the marine sector for loosing the cruising fleet and super yachts with the border closure.

PS, If Dalts needs a good negotiating position, saying it will go offshore is the best spot to kick negotiations off.

• Upvote 1

Crystal ball gazing; There will be talk from Dalton of UK, Dubai, Easter Island, etc. etc.

Tanties from NZ public, NZ marine industry, NZ Govt.

NZ Govt will up the cash input, Cup back in Auckland.

Probably take 3 months for that to play out.

• Upvote 2

Its Officially un-official now, Ineo the CoR:

Team UK are the next challenger of record for the America’s Cup, working alongside defender Team New Zealand.

Sir Ben Ainslie’s syndicate, backed by British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, will replace Italian outfit Luna Rossa for the next cycle of the Cup.

The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron have accepted the challenge and let slip that arrangement on Wednesday night at their headquarters though no official announcement has been made.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124578312/americas-cup-team-uk-confirmed-as-challenger-of-record-now-intrigue-deepens

Kind of staggers me a bit - this clumsy stuff going on.

It looked like many of the guys yesterday afternoon were like star struck schoolboys on their 1st rodeo. Bertarelli (I think) was given the honour of handing out the medals and pretty rudely it seemed a lot of the ETNZ people (Dalton included) just steamed past as if he weren't there and then kinda took the medal as an afterthought. Maybe they were caught up in the moment but if not,  its either axes being ground or they're just plain rude. 

I think they have to behave better than this, and now the squaddie are bumbling their way around too.

Rant concluded.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Romany said:

Kind of staggers me a bit - this clumsy stuff going on.

It looked like many of the guys yesterday afternoon were like star struck schoolboys on their 1st rodeo. Bertarelli (I think) was given the honour of handing out the medals and pretty rudely it seemed a lot of the ETNZ people (Dalton included) just steamed past as if he weren't there and then kinda took the medal as an afterthought. Maybe they were caught up in the moment but if not,  its either axes being ground or they're just plain rude. 

I think they have to behave better than this, and now the squaddie are bumbling their way around too.

Rant concluded.

The presenters of the Americas Cup and medals were Peter Montgomery and Bruno Troublé. The format for the medal presentation was that the team members names were called and they filed past the stage, put their hand in a box to grab a medal and move off.

Bad Kitty is largely correct, there is however one point that the mass media have overlooked and Dalton plays down -that the holders of the cup are RNZYS . So asking for NZ taxpayers money so that you dont take it to Arabia or Texas et al always has had a hollow ring to it to me.

A one off pageant promoters dream race around the IOW sounds a good way to keep the interest up and give the sponsors some value.

Ps the bottle of Mumm swapped for two sandwiches with the Jetski girl sure tasted nice. 

1 hour ago, kiwi_jon said:

The presenters of the Americas Cup and medals were Peter Montgomery and Bruno Troublé. The format for the medal presentation was that the team members names were called and they filed past the stage, put their hand in a box to grab a medal and move off.

Not quite right. The medals were presented by representatives of the 2 yacht clubs (CDVS and RNZYS). The Italian (not Bertelli) put the medal round their neck, and Aaron Young shook their hand.

A hearty congratulations to the sailing community of New Zealand . . 

a hard-earned and well deserved victory. 

But next time, would you mind very much improving the TV coverage of the Cup in the US ?? 

This time around it really sucked majorly. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

A hearty congratulations to the sailing community of New Zealand . . 

a hard-earned and well deserved victory. 

But next time, would you mind very much improving the TV coverage of the Cup in the US ?? 

This time around it really sucked majorly. 

AJ - the coverage on  americascup.com and Youtube was identical and way better than the shite they served up on TVNZ.  The direction of the live-to-air footage (same on both feeds) was generally appalling.  Is that what you are referring to?

• Upvote 1