COR ineos, to host a 1 - off uk race in 2022?

Yep- I think TVNZ did a poor job compared to the fantastic commentary during the last America's Cup in Bermuda. Nothing beats commentary from people who know what they are talking about, rather than TVNZ celebs. Thank goodness we had some sailors in the room as well

• Upvote 2

Never listened to them. I watched the whole series on YouTube and occasionally the radio

I felt even PJ was getting a bit tedious

"and now we cross to the water with Peter Jones, bronze medalist at Athens in the 470 with Brian Henry, well known farmer from gore, parents owned 420 acres next to the smiths of rakaia, married to Michelle ryan who's sister Josephine won bronze in the decathlon at the Brisbane commonwealth games ahead of Australian linda Murray who went to school with Michael ryan who was on the design team of team USA in the freemantle challenge won famously by Dennis Connor. Your thoughts Peter.....Peter....oh he's gone."

• Upvote 2

One wonders about a government that has banned oil and gas exploration in this country, describing it as this generations nuclear moment and is going all out to be carbon neutral as early as the next cup event, feels about throwing taxpayer money at an event where the lead partner built their wealth on the back of oil and gas exploration, drilling, extraction and fracking.

Or has nanaia not told her again?

• Upvote 1

Speaking to NZME, commodore of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS) Aaron Young confirmed that strict new nationality rules would require 100 per cent of crews to be citizens or have spent two of the previous three years in the country they represent.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-royal-yacht-squadron-uk-confirmed-as-next-challenger-of-record-strict-nationality-rules-introduced/M3ZMLLMKZMKHKMYWKHE3B5DMD4/

Young also confirmed that the next regatta would be sailed in the AC75s foiling monohulls - used for the first time in Auckland.

"The defender and the Challenger of Record will be investigating and agreeing a meaningful package of campaign cost-reduction measures - including measures to attract a higher number of challengers and to assist with the establishment of new teams," the statement said.

23 hours ago, ScottiE said:

AJ - the coverage on  americascup.com and Youtube was identical

Both of those were blocked in the US - after the race was over about an hour later there sometimes was a 60 second or so short highlight vid, longer highlights available the next day. Full replay not available until days later if at all. 

To get it live, one had to pay a $130 USD fee to NBC 

Not your fault, of course - I was only foolin' about that. 

I thought some of the commentary and analysis was quite good. Outridge (sp?), Robertson, that sailing professor guy (what a dream job that would be!!). One of my sailing mates sailed in college with Ken Read - says he's a decent bloke. 

Again congratulations on once again showing the rest of the world how sailing is done.   

Yeah put it up for grabs at the Isle of Wight with the proviso that if the UK wins they still have to defend it in auckland in 2004. 

unlikly ineos would beat nz given their form in the prada cup final but if they did then they would have no serious racing till the americas cup final whereas TNZ would run through the challenger series in their home town. They might lose that but it would sure attract attention 

I think it would work

The groups will now work together to sort through the finer details of how the defence will look, with a location expected to be decided upon within the next six months,

and the protocol for the 37th America's Cup schedule to be revealed within the next eight months.

Some rules have already been established. The event will again be sailed on the AC75 class, with teams only allowed to build one new vessel. The class will be used for the next two America's Cup regattas, and it is a condition of entry for teams to agree to this.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-plenty-still-to-work-out-for-37th-americas-cup-says-ineos-boss-sir-jim-ratcliffe/YQDXJBVYESOI7EARUBOF4PCSQI/

9 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Yeah put it up for grabs at the Isle of Wight with the proviso that if the UK wins they still have to defend it in auckland in 2004. 

unlikly ineos would beat nz given their form in the prada cup final but if they did then they would have no serious racing till the americas cup final whereas TNZ would run through the challenger series in their home town. They might lose that but it would sure attract attention 

I think it would work

an interesting idea

i image etnz's  team nz's designer, DanB(ernasconi) hasn't left his successful design team sit idle

they presumably already have next-gen foils an systems they want to built and test on this boat for the improved hull they would make for the next cycle...........probably they are furiously working on a prada-style 'high mode' below-deck system for the mainsail

meanwhile ineos would still be trying to get to where team nz are now...

"the decision that the AC75 foiling monohulls will be used for the next two cycles of the Cup is unusual. Normal practice is to look ahead one cycle only. It suggests they are thinking of relatively quickfire regattas – one in the UK, followed by a more conventional regatta in Auckland in 2024 (if they win in the UK).

Money is key. Team NZ don't have any left, normal at the end of a Cup cycle. They need funds quickly to prevent key team members being poached by other syndicates and, in a Covid-affected world, sponsorship is harder to find even for skilled fundraiser Grant Dalton.

So the concept of a Ratcliffe-funded one-on-one challenge in the UK becomes more persuasive. The Cup would be at stake; one-on-one challenges were the norm in the America's Cup before the challenger selection series was born in the 1970s. There is no legal obligation to have multiple challengers; the defender can choose the venue."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/paul-lewis-is-the-americas-cup-heading-overseas-the-unusual-detail-in-team-new-zealands-government-pitch/7GCZFA5OAACHLM62AKTY2EGTWU/

On 19/03/2021 at 8:42 AM, alibaba said:

Yep- I think TVNZ did a poor job compared to the fantastic commentary during the last America's Cup in Bermuda. Nothing beats commentary from people who know what they are talking about, rather than TVNZ celebs. Thank goodness we had some sailors in the room as well

Agreed , commentators after Bermuda said get rid of the "Old Man TV " coverage model aka Sky Sports.  Ken, Nathan and Shirley were outstanding, the only issue was I could never get enough bandwidth to watch it on my ph without buffering even with the bit rate dialled down.

On 20/03/2021 at 8:09 AM, AJ Oliver said:

Both of those were blocked in the US - after the race was over about an hour later there sometimes was a 60 second or so short highlight vid, longer highlights available the next day. Full replay not available until days later if at all. 

To get it live, one had to pay a $130 USD fee to NBC 

Not your fault, of course - I was only foolin' about that. 

I thought some of the commentary and analysis was quite good. Outridge (sp?), Robertson, that sailing professor guy (what a dream job that would be!!). One of my sailing mates sailed in college with Ken Read - says he's a decent bloke. 

Again congratulations on once again showing the rest of the world how sailing is done.   

Kenny Read was brilliant , I think you can use a VPN service to get around the geo blocked You Tube feed, its quite cheap.

We had the same problem in NZ with the racing in Bermuda which could only be viewed on Sky, but we eventually were able to watch it on Cricfree.

Light winds on the Waitematā Harbour throughout the America's Cup match earlier this month caused multiple delays and race abandonment's as teams struggled to stay on their foils.

"We have already made good progress. We are committed now to continuing in this exciting AC75 class, and as a sailor I'm pleased about that," Ainslie wrote. "I think these boats are extraordinary; the scale of them, the speeds they are capable of generating. If there is a weak spot it is probably the light air performance. But that's something we can work on.

"Whether we end up taking weight out of the boat, use a different sail or foil configuration, we should be targeting the boat foiling effectively in 6 knots."

Ainslie added he hoped keeping the class rule would see more teams able to contest in the event.

"We are committed to reducing costs as far as possible - limiting teams to the building of just one new boat, standardising certain non-essential parts - to encourage new entrants," he said.

"I would hope to see at least six teams in the next Cup and we should be targeting as many as 10."

While it's yet to be revealed where the next America's Cup will be held, a one-off match at the Isle of Wight next year - at the midway point to the next Cup in 2024 - is on the cards.

Ainslie had high hopes it would be confirmed.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-sir-ben-ainslie-lifts-lid-on-team-new-zealand-and-ineos-team-uks-plans-for-next-cup-cycle/MSVDHUU7WKMN3SX52XPABIMMPY/

if the squadron did lock ineos in to a 2024 AC in auckland

having a 2022 DOG race around the isle of wight shouldn't be too concerning to auckland council or central gov. sponsors as they would still get the cup here in 2024 even in the unlikely event that NZ lost to ineos

it would also keep world interest in the class high and hopefully boost team numbers for 2024

perhaps that DOG race could be part of a prada cup style regatta that anyone could bring their ac75s to...............the difference being the winner of that series wouldn't be part of the DOG race, they'd have to wait another 2 years for a crack at the cup in ak 2024

though, currently the other teams don't seem to like the idea of being cutout of any DOG race at all!

However Hutchinson is sceptical about the viability of such a regatta, saying it would be "fraught with logistical challenges".

"You are talking about a boat that is 80,000 man hours to build," Hutchinson said. "Both teams have to go back to England and set up the infrastructure they have to build the boats, they have to sea-trial the boats and go through all that. We know that if its 18 months from today you have three more months of fluff because there is still negotiations going on between Team NZ and the Government here, nothing is set in stone and the only thing that is happening is the time gets shortened."

For the most part Hutchinson is in favour of the new class rules that have been drawn up between Team New Zealand and Ineos Team UK. He says the move to make 100 per cent of the sailing team passport holders of the country they represent or having been resident there for the past three years is "a logical progression for the competition".

"The original guiding principle of the Deed of Gift was this competition amongst nations and what has happened there is they've turned the sporting side back to a competition between nations. It's hard not to favour that.
  • Like 1

French sailing identity Bruno Troublé has dimissed the proposed America's Cup defence at the Isle of Wight as "a bit of a joke", instead tipping another Auckland regatta as early as next year.