Fuel consumption to and from the start/finish

What LOA are you?

How much fuel do you reckon you use to leave the berth, get to race start and then do the reverse on finishing?

How many times a year would you do that?

I am assuming diesal unless you say otherwise. Close as will work.

I am thinking Westhaven/Bayswater but GHM would be pretty much the same as them.

Why? I'm trying to get a better grip on how much fuel a race fleet consumes.

If I was a dedicated racer and all my usage was in & out of the marina to / from the race course then.... I would seriously consider going electric. I’ve shocked myself recently by even contemplating an electric outboard 😳

We do live in a world where we've become near immune to all the massive amount of the never actioned virtue signaling that's going on.

I'm doing the oppersite so I can see why it would have some scratching their head ;)

That’s more like it. I feel relieved now. I’m only considering electrical o/b for lightness and convenience. Including so my wife can continue to do her dusk fishing trips in the dinghy (which are v productive) without the worry of whether she can start the outboard ok without straining her shoulder (an old injury). Electric would be ace for this but I’ll keep a petrol o/b onboard for long range / power trips.

1 hour ago, Fogg said:

That’s more like it. I feel relieved now. I’m only considering electrical o/b for lightness and convenience. Including so my wife can continue to do her dusk fishing trips in the dinghy (which are v productive) without the worry of whether she can start the outboard ok without straining her shoulder (an old injury). Electric would be ace for this but I’ll keep a petrol o/b onboard for long range / power trips.

Sound like wise thinking, especially if she's good at bringing home the nautical bacon, that is to be strongly encuraged. I considered going lectric for the 930 but it lost due to weight, cost and delicatness. That's before we even considerd how we'd charge the thing. But for the Ding and after doing a pile of testing with Torqeedos an lectric would be high on the 'possibles' list. But again I'd still have the charging issue. Which electric? That's the tricky question to answer.

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Most yanmars up to 20hp burn approx 1 to 1.5 Lt per hr.

Damn handy, Thanks.

I'll work on 1.5 per race, 40 minutes out there gearing up, 20 to get back in. No harm erring on the conservitive side.

21 hours ago, KM... said:

We're trying to calculate emmissions.

I expect the fleet emissions will be dwarfed by the vehicle emissions of 6x crew getting to the boat in the first place!

• Upvote 2