Crimps for lifelines; Copper vs Nickel Plated Copper?

What is the right crimp for the job? Copper or  Nickel Plated Copper?

Also, why are lifelines tensioned with the weird bit of lashing, rather than something like a turnbuckle / rigging screw? 

I assumed it was so you could cut it free? But the swages ends won't pass through a stanchion anyway so what does it gain you?

The rule is / used to be that cutting the cord would give you enough slack to help retrieve a MOB via the side-decks. This was a rule I remember affecting racing boats in the UK 20-30yrs ago and before open transoms were mainstream. No idea if still applicable today.

Interesting - its what the PO had - but it was raised about an 1/2 inch off the floor of the wooden lattice that runs along the floor of the cockpit so you would never really stand on it. 

"Jackstays shall have a minimum strength of 2000kg.
Webbing that lies flat is recommended."

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/resources/yachting-new-zealand-safety-regulations-2021-24

I would use dyneema, webbing doesn't seem to last to well.

OSR is a bit more explicit, technically you are required to meet this standard too, YNZ seem a bit lost on this though.

"have a breaking strength of 2040 kg (4500#) and be uncoated and nonsleeved stainless steel 1 x 19 wire of minimum diameter 5 mm (3/16”),webbing or HMPE rope"

https://www.sailing.org/documents/offshorespecialregs/index.php

• Like 1