Super yacht anchor Ltd.

Had to change the bulb in one of those 3 times over the course of 6 months . Feckin scary job , 160ft mast with a 7ft wand on top with the masthead light on top of that wand . 

bosuns chair was crudely tied to my waist with sail ties so I could climb up onto masthead with it still stuck to my ass . Before climbing up you have to hang by one hand onto the wand and pull enough halyard out of the exit to allow you to stand up on the masthead . 

once up there and standing on a space just big enough for two  feet you had to reach above your head at maximum stretch to unscrew the red lens and then the bulb .  I took two bulbs up 2nd and 3rd time cause first time I dropped the replacement . 

last time I saw that boat I noticed they have done away with the wand and no doubt it’s all LED lights up there now 

• Like 1

It’s a bit grey but seems to have originated from a rule most countries have that mast structures anywhere in the 100-200ft range (varies a bit) must have an all-round red light for low flying aircraft / choppers etc. Given many of these tall masted vessels (superyachts) travel around a lot it’s seems to have evolved into a commonly-agreed standard set at 100ft+.

I would suspect it stems from the natural arse-f*ckery of superyacht owners who would want to install one to show other superyacht owners that their superyacht was big enough to have red lights to warn off low-flying aircraft.  

23 minutes ago, Dtwo said:

I would suspect it stems from the natural arse-f*ckery of superyacht owners who would want to install one to show other superyacht owners that their superyacht was big enough to have red lights to warn off low-flying aircraft.  

It’s actually a valid safety measure for most of the pacific and Caribbean plus med where there are small airstrips/airports often right on the shoreline with little or no air traffic control .  Super yachts hang around these sorts of places waiting for guests or dropping them off .

most owners wouldn’t give a rats whether the light was on or off or even up there . 

11 hours ago, lateral said:

There's?

Somewhat understandable given a predominate human trait is to accumulate as much oxygen for personal use as possible and 

pay  little heed to those who are gasping, bar loose change and lip service. As if entitled.

In spite of exceptions to prick a conscience, or lack of it.

Now wouldn't that be something, seeing the squillionares compete with their consciences.

Man doesn't change, NZ little bit of near equality lasted around 30 years, expiring in the 1970's it doesn't take long for the heirachical traits to re-appear. The only difference is "money " is the king.  No different to the animal world except the big ones might eat you as well.

19 hours ago, Fogg said:

That’s a lot of animosity & resentment in the world these days isn’t there?!

You're right. People don't like being told that their activities are destructive. They get angry when I suggest that an Amarok or Prado is not a sensible choice for dropping kids to school or commuting to work. They unfriend me when I point out that quick holidays to Europe were a luxury that the planet can no longer afford. And cyclists going about their business are a target for their hate.

The wealthy and entitled don't like to be reminded of their impact on the world. I assume that was your point?

Was it just the one red light?

Colregs has 2 reds vertically for Not under Command/restricted in ability to manoeuvre, but still specifically calls for an all round white for anchoring.

I think aircraft warning is single red - maybe flashing?

FWIW, all the SY rigs that roll out of Southerns have both the 2reds (2 on each side, just down from the top) AND the all round white.

Tri-colour is sometimes on the spreader for the p/s lights, with the white off the stern.

Vast majority are LOPO LED, or similar, and they don't go on the wand, that'd be hard to change!