Wanted to borrow - 56mm flywheel nut socket for Yanmar 2QM20

6 hours ago, marinheiro said:

Have you checked the isolation mounts to make sure they have no "de-bonded"?

yeah, they were fine.  Got all flash and changed out the galvanised coach screws into the engine bed with shiny stainless ones.  Dumb really - no-one sees them!

6 hours ago, harrytom said:

If you havent already got a dripless shaft seal,now would be a good time to fit one.

The ritual of putting grease into the gland and screwing the crown down is good for my soul.

And having just spent 45 minutes getting the bloody engine aligned onto the shaft while contorting like a cross between a speleologist and a gynecologist ,the drippy seal is staying!

• Like 1

Speleology is the scientific study of caves and other karst features, as well as their make-up, structure, physical properties, history, life forms, and the processes by which they form (speleogenesis) and change over time (speleomorphology).

• Like 1

^indeed Fish.  And if you had been in the engine bay of SO, you'd know that working in there requires similar skills and flexiblity required to get through a vertically offset squeeze into a sump in a King Country limestone cave system...

I wont tell you what the requirements of the other profession's skill set is.

10 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I wont tell you what the requirements of the other profession's skill set is.

I'm only a part time gynacologist aardvark, but I can take a guess ;-)

I've been most enjoying your accounts of the joys of boat ownership, antifouling, engine removal, needing a particular tool you don't have in order to finish a job, finding more urgent maintenance to do just after finishing a whole lot of maintenance. You are like a billboard for all the joys of boat ownership. Can't wait for you to actually go sailing.

• Like 1

Hey!  I resemble that comment!

Each of these little problems was identified on the water.  Last weekend we were at Rotoroa with my two daughters, one with her partner and 8 year old along for the ride.  Left Wairoa River at 7am in dead calm, slugged our way back up the Waiheke Channel at 3.30pm into 25kn and a following sea with wind vs tide, getting to the jetty just after 5.30pm.

At least the 8yo enjoyed it.

I too have been enjoying your posts Aa Having a Spencer With much the same issues at one time or another.

Re prop shaft packing, I went around the inevitable circles, looking at the various packing materials. In the end I stuck with the hemp, it served well the 10> years and in keeping with my mandate KISS, have enjoyed another 10 years with only twice having to tighten the packing flange..Next time will be a repack. Next on my list is an anchor winch, that damn anchor just gets heavier and heavier.

• Haha 1