They told me to make sure I was sitting down

I rang the local agent to get a price for a new water pump. The old one was leaking and I wanted to carry a spare anyway.

Sit down they said, $1900 they said.

So for $537 I got a new one from overseas.

For another $23 I bought a new seal and bearings for the old one.

In NZ it looks like the cost of a pump equals about 15 to 20% of the price of a new engine.

I'm not sure what to say next?

2 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

I rang the local agent to get a price for a new water pump. The old one was leaking and I wanted to carry a spare anyway.

Sit down they said, $1900 they said.

So for $537 I got a new one from overseas.

For another $23 I bought a new seal and bearings for the old one.

In NZ it looks like the cost of a pump equals about 15 to 20% of the price of a new engine.

I'm not sure what to say next?

Well done. More of us should do this. I have started price-checking overseas vs NZ for bigger / expensive items that I don’t urgently need yesterday. If it’s within 20% I but here but much more than that I order overseas.

Spin Lock 3 point tether - Burnsco and others = $179 you can get it from Monkeys Fist website in Australia for $90. Thats almost 50% cheaper. Even with conversion and shipping its still much cheaper.

I have been advising a few small businesses here. Things have changed since Covid hit. Although we all knew online shopping was a thing, C19 forced people to enter that world boots and all. The World has changed. People now let Google do the walking. And the potential buyer now has the time to wander arounf the world on their screen and look for the best deal.
A couple of points I have been stressing to them is, they must have a website as an important part of who they are as a business, They need to spend money on making it great, not just good. It is now your shop front. If you do not have a great website, you are better to not have one at all. It is no good to simply have a glorified on line business card.
Selling online needs to show sharp prices or something that makes someone want to buy the product from you rather than someone else that might be cheaper. For instance, maybe freight free.
SERVICE!!!!!! People have a microwace mentality. They stand at the microwave and wonder why it takes a long long long 30seconds to heat something. So they expect the same with service. If someone buys a product, you need to make the sale quick and easy. You need to acknowledge the sale and you need to get that product out the door ASAP and acknowledge it is on the way and give them Courier info once it is on the way. Tht way, if it shoud be delayed in arriving, the buyer realises it is courier and not the Retailer.

I have been shopping online for years, caught on early. Google is my first stop when I want to buy anything.

Wheels is right.

If its easy to buy online you get the sale. I do the same at work.

If I have to do more than a few clicks to make a buy I look for it somewhere easier.

I will buy off a NZ retailer if the price is close, maybe 15 - 20 % max.

That water pump excluding freight was nearly 500% up from NZ agents price, what world do they think they are living in?

I have never understood why water pumps are so expensive. There is nothing too them. No electrical parts. Compare to something like say a winch with all the complexities in them. Even the parts to recon a pump are stupid expensive from the makers. As said, bearings and seals etc are a fraction of the price if you go to the bearing supplier. And impellors. Why so expensive?

On 5/04/2021 at 1:50 PM, raz88 said:

I was a bit shocked when I last bought a water pump impeller from my local yanmar agent for a bit over $130. But wow, 1900 for a pump is impressive! 

https://www.bayshoremarineengines.com/129670-42610impellerkit.aspx

when I was in Annapolis for the boat show 3 yrs ago I bought all the Yanmar filters and impellers I could fit in my bag

• Like 1

Late model small (yacht) sized Yanmars use Johnson pumps, if you match up the right one they are a lot cheaper, the earlier ones likewise had Jabsco pumps also a lot cheaper, where you are really stuck is the launch size Yanmars which use Kinki pumps look away KM there is no agent and man do they fleece you.

Typical example of current pricing here Northern Lights 3 cylinder 30Hp raw water pump $575.00 retail

Yanmar 3 cylinder 30Hp raw water pump $1600.00 retail  (both plus gst)

Unless I am mistaken, the only NZ government charges in that lot are: "MPI BACC processing fee", "Customs clearance" and "Customs compliance", but it's not even clear if those are the customs charges or admin charges by the shipper.

If you could buy the anchor direct, you would pay the same charges: it is expensive enough to attract GST, and the shipper pays all the other charges, so it would be included in your courier cost.

2 hours ago, KM... said:

For the many who are very quick to flap their uneducated jaws about 'I got one for a dollar so all NZ business are thieving scum as they want $2'.

The shipment this invoice relates to is 3 pallets of anchors from Melbourne that arrived here yesterday. Very well packed pallets, the manufacturer has some anal affliction about shipping 'air' or the costs would be even higher. After the below is done, the gear is now on NZ soil, a raft of others costs kick in that punters can circumvent. Nurses and Teachers salaries being a big one of a shed load.

The current NZ Govt has increased many of these recently and brought in some new ones. They will all be flowing towards your wallet right now....and I suspect the pace of that flow is about to increase a significant amount.

20210412095351224_001.png.5ba7f1c19d80094b0bb71aba829a98f0.png

20210412095351224_002.png.f78396757c8900015dfedbccfa8c64ea.png

Hay KM, since you are paying the SOLAS administration fee, you couldn't have a word with them about the flares for me, could you?

PS, do you really airfreight anchors?

That list of charges certainly is innovative... If they were open and honest, they'd just have a rodgering fee and do away with all the BS.