Rich guy puts weight behind anti-Waiheke Marina movement

On 11/06/2021 at 10:04 AM, Black Panther said:

Yeah, bloody national voters. Just a vocal minority. 😁

I'd be surprised if anyone is still voting National? But that doesn't change the facts that the Waiheke anti marina group have exhausted every legitimate avenue to stop the Marina, and now will resort to more illegal bullshit to try & force their opinion on everyone else. After getting  a free pass on a massive legal bill, that they had no way of paying?

WTF has that got to do with National or Labour? 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Arrests at Waiheke's Kennedy Point as fight to protect penguins escalates

“Police recognise the lawful right to protest, however we also recognise the right of people to go about their lawful business,” Hines said.

The developer maintains protecting the penguins is a priority.
“We are not and never have been destroying the breakwater wall and no kororā will be made homeless.
“The kororā/ little blue penguins who have burrows in the artificial breakwater wall will continue to reside there.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300335223/arrests-at-waihekes-kennedy-point-as-fight-to-protect-penguins-escalates

About five protesters were permanently camped out illegally on the beach, blocking public access complete with cars, caravans and dogs which are being allowed to run off leash. Dogs are known to be a big threat to kororā, he said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/police-arrest-three-at-waiheke-island-marina-protest/N3XGJRTL4ST6JX347BVLX3TNSM/

Yeah, the video shows the security guard kicking the protester in the face. But at the start of the video there was another guard lying face down and slow to get up, so maybe assaults from both sides.

• Upvote 1

I have seen extended footage of this and from multiple angles and the protesters attacked the guard's with extreme force before that. It was clear they weren't prepared to be attacked in the way they were.

At first the guards are talking to them, then they push a couple back as they try and get up, only for to be blindsided by another bunch who really got stuck in to them, one of them is the one who got kicked in the face.

One of the guards is repeatedly kicked in the head and face whilst on the ground before being kicked into the water visibly dazed. It appalling viewing. He is literally getting kicked unconscious and then kicked head first into the water.

Id argue from what I see that the kick, whilst appearing to be brutal and off the cuff, was self defense from the guard who had just been attacked. One of the guards is king hit from behind. The protester is trying to get back up onto the pontoon to continue the attack.

The violence from the protesters was extreme, it is clear that the guards were doing whatever they could to defend themselves, it went from keeping the protestors off the pontoon, to survival very very quickly.

But of course you wont see that in the protestors edited video.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It looks like its getting pretty crazy there. It's an interesting situation and I'm impressed that all the Govt Departments and Council are not responding to the media storm being created. It helps that this consent has been tested at every level of the courts in NZ and shown to have followed due process. I think that is stopping any wise politician wading in, as they know the the marina won't get stopped. 

Tensions are certainly getting out of control - the protestors are going all out and are stepping beyond normal boundaries . The comments on local FB boards are very one eyed that its not worth anyone trying to reason with them.

At the moment there is a poster being distributed encouraging people to take tomorrow (Fri 09/07) off work and to go and join them at Putiki Bay !

3 hours ago, Veladare said:

I have seen extended footage of this and from multiple angles and the protesters attacked the guard's with extreme force before that. It was clear they weren't prepared to be attacked in the way they were.

At first the guards are talking to them, then they push a couple back as they try and get up, only for to be blindsided by another bunch who really got stuck in to them, one of them is the one who got kicked in the face.

One of the guards is repeatedly kicked in the head and face whilst on the ground before being kicked into the water visibly dazed. It appalling viewing. He is literally getting kicked unconscious and then kicked head first into the water.

Id argue from what I see that the kick, whilst appearing to be brutal and off the cuff, was self defense from the guard who had just been attacked. One of the guards is king hit from behind. The protester is trying to get back up onto the pontoon to continue the attack.

The violence from the protesters was extreme, it is clear that the guards were doing whatever they could to defend themselves, it went from keeping the protestors off the pontoon, to survival very very quickly.

But of course you wont see that in the protestors edited video.

I've watched the (long) videos on the protestors facebook page. They started it, physically attacked a worker from behind who was taking photos, the protestors dragged at least one worker into the water. They were initiating the violence big time. Fully agree with the above comments.

These so called protestors have no mana. They just want to be famous and be on the TV, and are looking for a fight. There has been legitimate resistance to the marina. All legal avenues have been exhausted, and good people have done their bit. These current protestors are just looking for a fight, and starting physical fights. It is time they were all arrested for tresspass and just locked up for a bit.

• Upvote 4

I find it disgusting that a member on this site can promote the violence of kicking someone in the face, regardless of what "may" have happened first. This violates our rules. Moderator, could you delete it and post a message as to why? Thanks.

Also interesting to note that even the workers quoted in the NZ Herald today did not support kicking: "
Then there are the workers. A party from that side said today: "I think kicking the protester in the head was way too far and a shocking act but I would like to see a story written about what the workers are put though every day from these so-called peaceful protesters. Workers are under constant harassment every day, physically and mentally. They yell at them and slashing them with their kayak paddles. They are just there to do a job: that's build it, they had nothing to do with the decision to build it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
49 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

I find it disgusting that a member on this site can promote the violence of kicking someone in the face, 

I missed that post Kev, any chance you could re-post / quote it, so we can work out what you are on about?

PS, did you have a look at the 'Protect Putiki' facebook page and see what violence the so called peaceful protestors were metering out? It is a real eye opener.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fish said:

I missed that post Kev, any chance you could re-post / quote it, so we can work out what you are on about?

PS, did you have a look at the 'Protect Putiki' facebook page and see what violence the so called peaceful protestors were metering out? It is a real eye opener.

The offensive post has been removed. Hopefully the offender has been given a warning.

37 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

The offensive post has been removed. Hopefully the offender has been given a warning.

Just have to watch the news clip posted and you will the guard kicking the protester,why complain about a member posting it when its in the news for all to see??

12 minutes ago, Sabre said:

I actually feel sorry for the security guard. I bet he regretted it as soon as he done it but like I say everyone has their limits.

From the clip on the news, you can see the protestor was having a good go at getting that guard into the water. They had just got another guard into the water, so the danger was real and present. The protestor was in a wettie, the guard in heavy clothing. Protestor swum under the pontoons and popped up in the hole in the middle (where the pole is) to get behind the guard and ambush him. Protestor very nearly got the guard in the water too. It was the protestor that initiated the skuffle, but lost. 50:50 could have gone the other way.

No, it is not appropriate to kick people in the face, but self defense is a fairly clear defense in this case.

And yes, the Police should really be dealing with this now. The protestors have been antagonizing and assaulting the workers. The protestors also claim to have been assaulted. This is not a peaceful protest. This has already been through every law court in the land. The protestors hapu was consulted with, but they didn't like the decision of their representatives, so have started their own Iwi trust, with a name one word different from the original one.

• Upvote 1

I can see both sides.

We would probably still be employing child labour in Western countries if no one got of their chuff and protested about it a 100 years ago, in what ultimately became physical confrontations....but then again an innocent worker doesn't deserve to be physically abused by a protester for building a marina.

The only winner I see out of all this is the lawyers bank accounts

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Protests work better when they are peaceful. Ask Gandhi. 

Yes I would of thought blockade so cannot get supplies?But unfortunatly the group who are in attendance appears to be rent a crowd.Just there for the trouble.   There was a ship/trawler painted in Dunedin(I think) this week had ban trawlers painted down the side by Greenpeace activist.The way forward would of been a small boat flotilia and blocked berthage so it couldnt leave,All for action but needs to be peaceful and you will get meaningful coverage.imo