New Owner / Sailor. Cavalier 26 "Soulmate"

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. Just got what i have always wanted a yacht. Took 53 years but who's counting lol. 

So picked up Soulmate about a month ago. she is on a swing Mooring at Orakei at the moment but will move round to Tamaki River soon and be close the BBYC. Also going to be pulling  her out of the water and give her a birthday. in side  is dated and for what i can see not the typical Cav 26 interior set up.? some one must of had a vision back in the 80;s but not the best lay out at the moment. So gonna have a play around and bring her as best as i can into the year 2021. the table and siting/sleeping  arrangement needs to be ripped out and re designed. to be comfy and also a small double bed sort of conversion made. If anyone has gone down that path would be grateful for some pointers. also if there are any Cavalier 26 owners in the Auckland or anywhere in NZ area would love to chat.

Any how if any of you guys and gals are members of the BBYC tap me on the shoulder and would love to chat and swap ideas.

Talk later 

Steve

Soulmate_5.jpg

Soulmate_2.jpg

Soulmate_6.jpg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sabre said:

It would be good to see some progress photos.

Do you have any cabinet building experience?

Hey Sabre,

Yeah sure will post up some shots of my soon to be mess haha. Na not really. But I am pretty handy when it comes to doing things like that. And if i get stuck I ask for help.

I don't think (Cross fingers ) that it should be to tricky. Proof will be in the pudding but aye lol

Cheers mate

Steve

Looking at your Photos.I would suggest she is a home finished Cav26,none standard cabin top or lay out. Had 2 of them. Great boats but a set of new sails makes a world of diference.Had bags which looked ok.New set totally different yacht.

There is a fella, Ian GabrielI I think his name is, owns a Cav 26, advertises for Crew on the Crew Wanted section of this forum, and sails from a mooring somewhere on Tamaki River.  He might offer you a few tips about your boat since you have the same model.

Edit: Link to Ian's crew posts:  https://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/18897-cruising-crew-wanted/

10 hours ago, Zozza said:

There is a fella, Ian GabrielI I think his name is, owns a Cav 26, advertises for Crew on the Crew Wanted section of this forum, and sails from a mooring somewhere on Tamaki River.  He might offer you a few tips about your boat since you have the same model.

Edit: Link to Ian's crew posts:  https://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/18897-cruising-crew-wanted/

Hi Zozza,

Yep we are already talking. . Its good to hear from people that know that type of boat and there experiences with them.

Cheers mate

Steve

11 hours ago, harrytom said:

Looking at your Photos.I would suggest she is a home finished Cav26,none standard cabin top or lay out. Had 2 of them. Great boats but a set of new sails makes a world of diference.Had bags which looked ok.New set totally different yacht.

Cheers mate. Yeah I think the new sail will have to wait to next years bonus haha

Cheers mate

Steve

Yeah I’d be tempted (and I almost advise) to just go sail your new boat for a year before making any mods to the I interior. After a year you will know well what does and doesn’t work inside, of why something has been done in the way it’s been done. 

spend that first cash on A new wardrobe and antifoul. Making interior changes can start as a 2 month late autumn job into a 4 year financial disaster (think hard stand fees). And if you rush it back into the water half finished. You have a boat full of unsafe crap inside that you can’t sail and progress in these kind of projects while on a mooring is painfully slow. It’s only slower to work on a boat that is on the bottom of the ocean...

HI guys,

Yep I hear you load and clear. He is the thing haha. As you may have noticed that I potentially have an rudder issue ? (Rudder , Tech Talk) this will need to be sorted for my piece of mind. Also with the interior.  I bought Soulmate so my partner and I can jump on her and sail to little bays and hold up for the night and chill. At the moment how the layout is its not gonna work for us we cant fit on whats there. The big 3 for us . Sleeping , having a table and somewhere to sit that is comfy. And people feel comfy is important to me and my gal.   

Yeah we could go on day trips but even then sitting in the cabin is pretty uncomfortable. So why the winter months are here perfect for me to go to work and polish this ruff diamond 

Here is the space that i will be working with.

Cheers guys

Steve 

inside2.jpg

inside.jpg