Name this Schooner...

21 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Looks like one of the old Tahitian trading schooners, American origin?

could be, that counter is quite something. But a trading schooner? She looks a little small for trading, no?

If so she was built for the MP Harry R Jenkins and he cruised the Pacific in her then NZ Government used her for supply work during the war and afterwards sold on to Athol Rusden and partners, burnt to the waterline in the Tuamotus around 51 

The New Golden Hind was a launched a ketch... From Waitemata woodies web page

1161180517_ScreenShot2021-04-14at11_41_38.thumb.png.e4d558397b447d7d90e91340cedd11dc.png gold-n.thumb.jpg.594515a1fc2b10679892a5f53aca269d.jpg

Also, that's one hell of a cabin house... see much from the Helm?

but there's also this photo of apparently the same vessel and seems Schooner rigged. In all honesty, I'm not sure she's the same vessel... Cabin etc... 

new-golden-hind-kawau-c1940.thumb.jpg.ec683c9ab42a5e0a9b2ec8e917a4c1e6.jpg

The photo of the Centaurus and the Samoan Clipper together was taken on December 28 or 29, 1937. 

The New Golden Hind was not launched until 1939 (I think).  I believe she was always ketch rigged.

I'd suggest the most likely candidate is Morewa, which was owned at the time by Sir Ernest Davis, who was mayor of Auckland at the time the photo of the flying boats was taken.

Here she is (from this source...  https://rnzncomms.org/ngapona-newsletter-3/ )

Morewa.jpg

BTW, I suspect the schooner in the other photo - identified on Waitemata Woodies based on how it is recorded in the Auckland Library, is also Morewa.  I have found that as online sources of photographic history increase, and time passes by, the misidentification of a photo, as to subject or date, is common.  Over the years I have provided suggested amendments to NatLib, Auckland Library, Alexander Turnbill etc together, with evidence where I have it.  Sometimes they make the change - sometimes they don't.

There was one online library source - which shall remain nameless but is in the central North Island, which described almost every sailing dinghy in its photo records as a "P Class".

3 hours ago, MuzzaB said:

BTW, I suspect the schooner in the other photo - identified on Waitemata Woodies based on how it is recorded in the Auckland Library, is also Morewa.  I have found that as online sources of photographic history increase, and time passes by, the misidentification of a photo, as to subject or date, is common.  Over the years I have provided suggested amendments to NatLib, Auckland Library, Alexander Turnbill etc together, with evidence where I have it.  Sometimes they make the change - sometimes they don't.

There was one online library source - which shall remain nameless but is in the central North Island, which described almost every sailing dinghy in its photo records as a "P Class".

I believe you are correct. 

That photo under full sail makes her a much larger vessel than she seems in the first pic I posted. 

To me the main looks badly out of proportion and a terrible shape. Somehow surprised she doesn't have a  gaff main.

MB you are I believe correct, I too have taken issue with some of the Maritime Museums Woollacott drawings wrongly labelled (in recent times). Strangely the articles back in the day all refer to the New Golden Hind as a schooner whereas the pics all show a ketch!

I love these boats.
There is something very similar for sale here in the Sounds. So many times I have thought about her, but also quickly follow my thoughts with the consideration of what it must cost to keep one afloat.
The most beautiful craft on the water in my view has to be one of these. The mighty J Class. Similar design lines, but huge.

I shot to Trademe to see if it was still listed, but sadly it's not. But I came across this beautiful Logan classic is for sale. https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/3039879011

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Strangely the articles back in the day all refer to the New Golden Hind as a schooner whereas the pics all show a ketch!

There is an article in one of the newspapers (can't remember which) published in '37 or '38 when she (New Golden Hind) was under construction and which described the intended rig as a schooner.  I speculate that this may have been the intention, but that the rig plan was changed before completion.