SailGP

17 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

That fairly much proves my point BP.

Scientists can describe gravity, and quantify it, but they can't explain it.

So, what causes gravity?

1 hour ago, K4309 said:

So, what causes gravity?

You're sounding like a religious zealot. Using that circular argument no one can explain anything. However science has given us a far greater understanding of many things than anything that came before. Science works

10 hours ago, K4309 said:

So, what causes gravity?

Dolphins?

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, K4309 said:

That is if said dolphin doesn't get scared off by the racket of these foils, and can't get out of the way of something that is moving just as fast as it's natural predator (while making a massive racket).

Huge assumptions here are that dolphins will know to stay away from the thing that’s making the huge racket, that said huge racket won’t confuse them, and  that the visual identification of a big arse flying machine dragging it’s razor blade appendages in the water as an identifiable danger will be made by the dolphin. The approach speed may be the same but picking up an orca on your sonar or visually is going to be easier than picking up set of foils that have the frontal projection area of a toothpick.  

The BOI issue is different because the dolphins are/were starving - not being run down by a fleet of 5knt crappers.

Lastly, humans have been using the “I don’t think that preserving nature should disrupt economic activity” argument for quite a long time now and look how screwed we are. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Black Panther said:

You're sounding like a religious zealot. Using that circular argument no one can explain anything. However science has given us a far greater understanding of many things than anything that came before. Science works

If I were a religious zealot I'd be proudly supporting the current genocide going on like all the other religious zealots, and sending more bombs, but I digress.

This little segway about science explaining gravity started because of the refrain to only use peer reviewed scientific papers to win the discussion about dolphins and boats, instead of just applying some logic. People often reach for the old 'peer reviewed scientific papers' in the hope that it is some sort of infallible fact. Science is by far incomplete in terms of our understanding of many things. There are examples of science being completely wrong many times in recent history.

In modern times (the covid era) the scope of scientific studies is often wrong, or limited, and then the results of said study are taken wildly out of context, mostly on social media but occasionally even by govts. Said results are paraded as facts when they are often nothing more than a distraction.

I was merely highlighting this by pointing out that science still can't explain the mechanism that causes gravity. It is just a whole lot more succinct way of setting out what I've said above.

This all boils down to the impact on the Sail GP on the presence of the dolphins. I was of the understanding that there were only a few hundred Hectors Dolphins, not 15,000 (possibly as much as 18,000). That a population of those numbers is classified as endangered is still taking a bit for me to get my head around. It sounds more like an issue with the classifications than an issue with the population.

7 hours ago, K4309 said:

In modern times (the covid era) the scope of scientific studies is often wrong, or limited, and then the results of said study are taken wildly out of context, mostly on social media but occasionally even by govts. Said results are paraded as facts when they are often nothing more than a distraction

is this a case in point? 😁

9 hours ago, K4309 said:

In modern times (the covid era) the scope of scientific studies is often wrong, or limited,

No

2 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

and then the results of said study are taken wildly out of context,

Yes, and you also pretty much did exactly the same with this statement in general. 

You took an idea (a subjective idea) presented it as a fact and made it general.

The greatest issue with scientific studies is that science is hard and it does take a lot of knowledge, and brain power to  evaluate the work - that’s why we use peer review, and don’t simply allow Larry and Sindy from X - formerly known at Twatter - and their millions of stupid idolisers to determine what’s true and what’s not. Popularity is not peer review.

Additionally, many people are very fond of throwing the word “fact” around without understanding that science doesn’t generate facts, it assesses the evidence and explains the topic using the available evidence. 

Common sense may or may not be aligned with truth and the evidence. It’s just common, popular, and can  simply be a poor (mis)interpretation of the evidence that was never updated as more complete evidence was uncovered.