Northern Triangle race

Preparation for Cat 2.

this accidentally started on the lewmar triple forum.

I’m slowly working my way through the  list for category 2 safety in prep for the northern  triangle race next year and then hopefully the 2 N I in 2023.

any advice form those who have done this prep before especially on older timber yachts very much appreciated.

details I am currently working on are emergency rudder and storm shutters for windows. Any other great ideas much appreciated 

Triangle is Cat 3+ but best to be working on being Cat 2 by then and also easiest to go straight to cat 2 then only one inspection 

best advice is start talking to your inspector (ph or email) and get their advice as they are the ones that will sign you off.

most if not all underestimate the prep time, talk to your sailmaker, rigger, boatbuilder etc now, then sail as many long distance races / passages as you can two up, It’s a single handed race in relays. Crew selection is probably more important than yacht selection. Really important that you sail with someone you can trust implicitly (best crews are people who own their own boat) and also someone with the same goals.  ie if you what to get the boat around safely and be friends at the end, don’t sail with someone who what’s to win at any cost or vice versa.

it’s a marathon not a sprint

2 hours ago, Shimmer said:

Preparation for Cat 2.

this accidentally started on the lewmar triple forum.

I’m slowly working my way through the  list for category 2 safety in prep for the northern  triangle race next year and then hopefully the 2 N I in 2023.

any advice form those who have done this prep before especially on older timber yachts very much appreciated.

details I am currently working on are emergency rudder and storm shutters for windows. Any other great ideas much appreciated 

Talk to Pahi, they did all the work getting ready for the RNI, and those things on the windows are called mullions. You could look at one of those transom hung generators that double as an emergency rudder, kill two birds but spendy. He said one of the best upgrades was putting a reef in the No2. 

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Triangle is Cat 3+ but best to be working on being Cat 2 by then and also easiest to go straight to cat 2 then only one inspection 

best advice is start talking to your inspector (ph or email) and get their advice as they are the ones that will sign you off.

most if not all underestimate the prep time, talk to your sailmaker, rigger, boatbuilder etc now, then sail as many long distance races / passages as you can two up, It’s a single handed race in relays. Crew selection is probably more important than yacht selection. Really important that you sail with someone you can trust implicitly (best crews are people who own their own boat) and also someone with the same goals.  ie if you what to get the boat around safely and be friends at the end, don’t sail with someone who what’s to win at any cost or vice versa.

it’s a marathon not a sprint

You made my day with that advice Jon.

Im doing it with my best mate who Ive sailed with for decades and even owned a race boat together and remained friends.

On most of your list I have started the ball rolling but really keen on specific ideas that work like Paul's advice of the reefing J2, reasoning why some would go with a full replacement rudder rather than just a steering oar... all great keep it coming

Also arrange the reefs in your main so you don't have to drop slugs to get the deep reef in. Hoisting the tri-sail on a tensioned strop is also a great way to avoid hassle.

11 hours ago, Changed said:

Also arrange the reefs in your main so you don't have to drop slugs to get the deep reef in. Hoisting the tri-sail on a tensioned strop is also a great way to avoid hassle.

IMO Changed, this is a very 2nd level option.

In my experience in really strong winds, it can be difficult or impossible to stop the tensioned luff from vibrating -can be severe - with a harmonic. Enough to shake the rig and cause wear.

A decent track gate, above the lowered main, and a feeder track below is a much better option (but of course more difficult and expensive to do for something you may never use!) or alternatively a separate trisail track (that's what I ended up doing).

On 18/07/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jon said:

It's a while since I had my last Cat 3 done. Pity they don't transfer as one was done for the current boat just before the CC last year. Any recommendations from the current list of inspectors or do I just send out a few emails and see who is available?

1 hour ago, Norwegian Blue said:

It's a while since I had my last Cat 3 done. Pity they don't transfer as one was done for the current boat just before the CC last year. Any recommendations from the current list of inspectors or do I just send out a few emails and see who is available?

They are listed by region on YNZ website I think ? 

Shimmer has a mint new boom thanks to Dwain at Yachtspars,

fresh new paint from my team at Nautique and a SSANZ sticker,

sure would look good with another SSANZ sticker on the other side...

any chance you have a spare one Jon?

image.png