Stuffing box packing material

should be able to buy from marine shop. 6mm or 8mm from memory,when fitting should get 3 rings in and do not line splits up. plenty of grease.should drip when motoring but not when stationary.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Dripping is becoming steady dribble.

Any recommended sources for packing material for repair of a traditional stuffing box?

Engineering suppliers generally carry it, certainly AES, maybe Paykels.

Otherwise any of the Beaumont St bandits (or wherever they are now)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lateral said:

So what are you going to use?

I'm picking Stepping Out has an old-school system so it will likely be fibre.  There is a grease packing device fitted (very simple screw crown fitting) so I figure there is no real need ot go all high tech and fancy low friction.  The Reserve Bank of Fosters actually has quite reasonable pricing on fibre product by the metre so if no-one violently objects I'll probably go that way.

• Upvote 1
On 27/04/2021 at 5:03 PM, lateral said:

So what are you going to use?

Flax,Teflon, graphite, GTU, GFO, ultra X ?\

Only one I have experience with is ultra X which worked well and was predictable.
Pulling the prop shaft out this weekend to check wear. As had problems with drip rate recently. Adjusted out easily tho.

Anyone here had a negative experience with graphite?

Quote below from Rod Collins (MaineSail)

ABYC   the possibility of galvanic incompatibility with the shaft material.”I suspect what we are seeing in this photo is exactly the “galvanic incompatibility” the ABYC warns against.

"We now know where the ABYC stands on graphite packing but what about the largest prop shaft manufacturer in the United States, and possibly the world, Western Branch Metals?\

“Do not use graphite packing in the stuffing box. Instead, use a packing material that causes the least abrasion after the lubricant wears away. The use of graphite-impregnated packing is not recommended because of the possibility of galvanic corrosion of the shaft material.”

Now we have not only the ABYC but one of the largest prop shafting manufacturers on the planet both saying exactly the same thing. Do not use graphite packing’s. As they say your boat, your choice.

With all that said there are still many happy boaters who have had decent results with these graphite packing’s. Please remember however that they should not be treated as a set it and forget it packing. If using these graphite impregnated packing materials I would strongly suggest checking the shaft at least yearly."

Where do you buy Ultra X in NZ?

On 7/05/2021 at 10:39 PM, harrytom said:

I fitted a grease gun so a pump or 2 every time we went worked well.

Hey Harry - got any pictures of that?  I thought it might be a good way to go, especially if I can fit it semi-permanently ie not via a grease nipple

2 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Hey Harry - got any pictures of that?  I thought it might be a good way to go, especially if I can fit it semi-permanently ie not via a grease nipple

No sorry,from gun to gland we used a hose,gland had a self greaser on it 10mm?? so adapted gun to fit.

• Upvote 1
On 27/04/2021 at 2:06 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Dripping is becoming steady dribble.

Any recommended sources for packing material for repair of a traditional stuffing box?

Have you tensioned the stuffing box a little?   Do you have pictures of your one?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcp said:

Have you tensioned the stuffing box a little?   Do you have pictures of your one?

No on both counts.  My experience with this yacht so far is that if I adjust something it breaks or it is already at the end of its adjustment.

In light of that, I'm inclined to redo the packing so at least I know what I have - and its not expensive.

On 9/05/2021 at 9:46 AM, aardvarkash10 said:

We did that, but now we have gone to drippless (highly recommend that ;-)

If I recall, you can undo the grease nipple, and get some tube with a threaded end on it, put it in where the grease nipple was. Managed to get an adapter to join 2 pieces of tube together, to have enough length to get at and operate grease gun, whilst leaving it out of he way of moving parts while underway...

Just clean the nipple up and see what you have. With any luck you will have a hex head right at the base. Take it out and use the female thread in the packing gland. Make sure you use a good spanner etc, so as not to stuff anything. It is your boat after all. Once you get the nipple off, its just a case of getting the right threads etc. Think we got everything from SCA after that.

Then just give it a pump or two ever time we were leaving the boat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yeah, we have this arrangement with a grease cup on top of the housing (not a picture of our actual set-up)

aquadrive-coupling-1.jpg

I am thinking of removing the cup and doing this instead - imagine a grease gun at the other end of hte white tube:

DSCN1630.jpg?w=480

• Like 1