Route 66 - Akl To Whangarei - 5th March - whos going ?

not sure exactly how deep it is getting into the marina...

but have sailed out of there on Ran Tan 2 years ago ....when i did the Whangarei to Vanuatu race...

and i know that was back when ran tan had the lifting/canting keel ...but from memory even when up she still drew 2.4m

oracle is at 2.1m so am asuming shell be o.k.

in that vnauatu race there was also a pile of other 50 foot canters and non canters and they didnt have lifting keels.

welcome in share delight!!!.....it will be share delight if i manage to beat you !!! if not can you help oracle tie up ..and have the rum ready..

I'd call the marina complex on 09-432 7740 and speak to Kerrin. I have booked our boat in there the week after the Route 66 (for another event being run out of Whangarei) and found her very helpful.

There are some downloadable plans on the website showing the layout and which berths are where but no depths marked on them.

http://www.marsdencove.co.nz/marina.aspx

Have fun guys, hope to be joining you next year. :thumbup:

I'd call the marina complex on 09-432 7740 and speak to Kerrin.

Just called them.... the channel is only 1.4m at low tide....!!! They are getting it dredged soon but it won't be done in time for the race.

Marsden point tide tables can be found here:

http://www.linz.govt.nz/docs/hydro/tida ... f/2010.pdf

We probably need to be in by 2am to clear the channel so hopefully it is a downwind race.

Thanks for that, Fineline - wouldn't even be enough for the 88 at low tide so I will need to watch that with our own plans. Interesting as there are some sizeable keelboats in there e.g. Bare Essentials - obviously they are co-ordinating their arrival/departure times.

I think Onerahi Yacht Club is host club at this end - they are a good bunch and would not put up with that kind of shortfall - I would be tempted to raise the possibility with them. I have the commodore's details here somewhere or I think there was a contact listed on the entry form.

Just checked with the locals (Onerahi), the following is from the horses mouth.

" have rung Marsden Cove Marina and there is 3 metres of water at low tide through the length of the canal.The marina says they have had a partial collapse of the port side bank leading into the marina, but still 3 metres through the centre

If for some reason a boat chooses not to come into the marina we will run a taxi service."

So no excuses - if you are sober enough you should get in and out.

Also, the following sponsors are supporting the race as well as the principle sponsors Lombardini (Trans Diesel Ltd, Coolstore Construction and Marsden Cove Marinas.

Advance Trident

Kiwi Yachting Consultants

Boating NZ

Network Visuals

Energizer

Mount Gay

Lusty and Blundell

Luvmyboat.com

With more sponsors yet to confirm

So what does that mean for the entrants?????

This means that the following spot prizes along with the array of trophies for the event will be up for grabs in the “goodies bags”

2 x Vessel GPS security tracking device (Luvmyboat.com)

5 x AGIP Lubricant packs (TransDiesel)

3 x 1 month Berthage at Marsden Cove (Marsden Cove Marina)

Nexus VHF (Kiwi Yachting)

Garmin handheld VHF (Advance Trident)

Raymarine VHF (Lusty and Blundell)

Boating Nz Subs (Boating NZ)

Dolphin Torches (Energizer NZ)

More to be advised shortly.

You haven't made it to a Weiti start line on time yet, why worry about that now? You will have a hell of a good night out there and an excellent excuse for being late if that's how it turns out. :thumbup:

I'm down to only 8mins late now so a vast improvement from the original 35 :thumbup: I was 13 hours early for one. I think I need to work on consistency a lot more. It's getting a little serious as I'm now equal 1st on points with a better race to drop than AA and Bump is right on our tails.

Just thinking if a reach up in the 66 does it give me enough time to get back. More Westerly would be bloody good and then it would be easily doable.

Just want to show the Big T how much he's going to have to lift his game in the Panmure 2 handed :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

...off to detox on Sunday; turn up at work on Monday with your mind already on the Wednesday nighter. A typical yachting weekend. :thumbup:

Apologies to anyone who has ever employed me. Work is just knot my first love. :problem:

Who's going to get photos and give us a write up?

if the lead boats want to keep me updated by text when they are coming down on the hen and chicks, or bream tail, i can be at the finish to take photos, i'm not to good at reporting, where is the official finish line? just inside the harbour? or at the end of the marina channel?

PM for text =)

Sundays weather's looking crappy. A departure from Kawau Sunday mid-morning looks like the early on call, that's unless you like 30kts on the nose with lots of wet from above.

I have a few crew that can only come if they can get back on saturday. Anyone driving back with space for 1-2 more? Will pay gas money and/or rum.

Had a couple of other crew drop out too... at this rate we'll be in the 2-handed division. :shock:

Archived