Route 66 - Akl To Whangarei - 5th March - whos going ?

Entries as at this morning (Tues):

- Delinquent

- Free Radical

- Hullabaloo

- Options

- Oracle

- Pepe

- Peppermint Planet

- Persuader

- Phoenician

- Precedent

- Quarter Pint

- Share Delight

- Short Circuit

- Shrek's House

- The Butcher

- Thumbs Up

- Transformer

- Vagan

- Whitebait

- Wishbone

Additional entries as at lunchtime Thurs:

- Bare Essentials

- Chain Reaction

- Fineline

- Force Eleven

- Hot Gossip

- Short Circuit

- Young Radical

Entries close 5pm tonight.

i would say there is still to be 15/20 through the night .....and by morning about 25 se...stright into whangarei. hopefully well be finished by then.

talking to Oracle they have 18 miles to go they think they are about mid fleet looking to finish about midnight. It has not been the easy flat off run they were hoping for its been reaching and it was very painful getting out of the harbour, moon just coming up and its a beautiful night on the water.

here is the low down, from Mr Oracle......

the race forecast was for light winds and long with a fast finish ///so we opted to go 2 handed instead on single handed........... didnt fancy going into whangarei harbour with 3m swell amd 30 knots behind me at 6am after sailing all night single handed....

Mark hoped onbaord at eh last minute... and was a great assett.

in theend the forecast changed ///started light down the waitemata harbour...we were a bit slow getting the kite up not knowing how we would go with the new crew....hoisted going around north head.got big blue up and took off chasing/...shortlyafter the angle tightened....and we had to get the big kite off....went back to no 2 jib gaining some height back ....past rangi light and back up with big blue.....off we go again....got up to tiri ...and the angle tightened again and freshened....

back to no 2 jib again....gain height to get past tiri.....in the channel we hoist no 2 kite...

...should of done that earlier...!..must be aucklands hotest day...and i have drunk about 3 litres of water so far....

we finally pass some boats.... we carry on for a while...with 15 knots from about 120 degrees true....nicely powered up ...and on rum line.... then the wind gets up again ...now were down low on rum line coming past kawau... we drop and back to No 2 jib, come back up to rum line passin \g some more boats. the wind eases after kawau channel and we hoist No 2 kite again...and were off ....carry on agin ...then the wind gets up again past omaha.. we sag off on the rum line a bit then see its not going to let up ...so down with N 2 kite and back to no 2 jib.... gain some height again...

so far this has all happened over about 7 hours....and we have eaten and not much inbetween....mark has been mostly on the helm with a little instruction for each of the manevours..and me running around doing the foredeck and cockpit. and packin and folding.

the andgle around and into bream bay now looks good for the jibtop....with about 18 knots at 110 degrees true...hoist this and settle in at about 8-9 knots on rum line....we arrrive in the harbour half an hour after the tide changes..and a little less breezemaking it easy into the harbour, we finish at 1:15 am.

we end up being first 2 handed entry to finish.....but havn't seen the overall results yet.

bare essentials got a new race record of 7 hours and some change.

looking forward to doing it again next year....probably not single handed ...as coming out of the harbour later the next day ..i saw what the conditions could be like inth e harbuor entrance ...as with only 15/20 knots wind the tide against the wind ....there was about a 3-4 m nasty confused swelly sea//and motor sailing it took an age to get out and was very uncomfortable, great race, thansk organisers

lotsa of good mt gay was consumed afterwards...!!

quarter pint finished at 1:55 off fuzzy memory. good ride up. kept pace with some bigger boats....every boat was bigger. mucked around getting out of the harbour in the light air. then onto the big a-sail. till it got too powered then small a-sail till it got too tight within sight of the whangarei leading light so 2 saild up to 3 buoy and a softer breeze. so back up with the a-sail. at about this point phonecian rolled past us to windward. not much we could do to stop then. beat them to the marina though. docking was fun. short of getting the anchor warps out there was no where near enough rope to get tied to the 4 corners of the berth so parked in a corner. rum was consumed. still feel a bit broken.

anyone got a trailer that could get a farr 727 onto it (keel still on)? and who, upon our arrival said 'whats this? a whiting?' thats sacrilege

we came 2nd on h'cap behind shreks house, that outgoing tide when we arrived realy f**ked us

Sounds like a great race.

Amazing increase in the number of entries. Up from 6 last year to 25. Looks like dropping the requirements from Cat 3 to Cat 4 has had a huge effect.

I'm still feeling ill from the Party- Someone should have mentioned at 6am that opening the 3rd Bottle of Rum was a bad idea...let alone finishing it!

Onboard Shreks house we had a blinder of a race-

Contensiously I am pretty sure we were first boat to tiri after...I think we beat the Cat just as they had sagged off to leward considerably.

We did umpteen zillion sail changes and had the boat at max pace almost the entire race.

got a bit light after rounding the heads, but but we were still pulling 7-8 knots.

Sail wardrobe had a full work through which was positive...Never any good bringing sails that don't get used!

Very enjoyable race- made more enjoyable by the face we picked up the Trophy on handicap against some very quick competition.

Now- if someone can just remind me next year....no more rum after 6am.

Toles

Good call on the no rum after 6am thing. I thought it was your idea but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Well done to the team on Shrek's House. The speed and frequency of those sail changes impressed my foredeck crew. We responded by dumping the fractional genni in the piss off Cape Rodney and ripped it. Without the genni (or the fractional halyard) we were forced to 2-sail all the way across Bream Bay, letting a few boats sneak through on the way.

Definitely a good fun race. Hopefully even more boats turn out next year.

My memory- was that the rum was your idea.....I just happened to know we had more.... Chances are we are both guilty...and apparentl8y paid for it! lol.

Hope the Fishies across Bream bay don't have the same side affects it had on me!

Archived