Why hasn't someone...

Atom Ant

Double Diamond! It used to race up at Weiti! Fast but gave a few people a scare I believe - although I suspect that with the benefit of hindsight it was probably because they are not used to the closing speeds of a cat that's fair SMOKIN"!

A Guy built two versions of a planing cat in Aus. I saw on in Brisbane a few years ago It had a stepped hull (s) like Hydropetre2 it was reasonably fast in the heavy but a dog in the light. I have a Photo somewhere, see if i can find it

well i have had a chined cat 4 for 15 years now , it was built in 75 as a lowered gulf tiger then we put a bigger rig on it and made it longer 9.2 and wider 5.8 ... definitely not the fastest boat compared to the latest designs , only a complete tosser would call it a dog because we all know it's a cat ... but when the breeze is up i'd be happy to sail back home on the nose ..... top speed 22knots its happy to sit on 15 but changes its nature above 17....not bad for an old puss bucket .... the trouble is we all have to listen the the wankers that don't appreciate that some of us just like to sail multis , but when you have fliped over on your speedster please be grateful that we will be behind you to consider weather or not to lend a hand :sailor:

Ron Given designed his 36 foot lightweight racing catamaran Tigress in 1971, an open wing deck design like an enlarged Paper Tiger; it looked extreme and observers were impatient to see it sail against Sundancer but Given, building solo, was in no hurry.

Here's Ron during a SS boat test on Tigress - it took half a decade or more for him to build the boat. After that he designed the round bilge 40 Split Enz - which immediately became top boat in the Auckland multihull fleet.

post-3088-141887171283_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, I think Tigress was sold to John Mansell (sp) from Wellington, who won a hard Coastal Classic in the boat (with Ron aboard I think) and then later entered the cat in the OSTAR as Double Brown, and had to abandon in mid Atlantic because a beam or beams came adrift and the boat was lost. I remember talking to Ron afterward and he was very critical of the loss because the beams hadn't broken, just that the clamps needed to be re-tightened, and apparently Mansell didn't have the tools to do it.

but when you have fliped over on your speedster please be grateful that we will be behind you to consider weather or not to lend a hand

Bugger, will we have to wait that long :D

well that made that decision easy eh ! :wave: and we don't help broken masted tri's as well :shock: ... how ever by the sounds of it your tri hard could be attached to the mud via weed growth so you won't be needing a hand any's way :lol: ...... but is was nice to read your 5 cents worth , also have a great christmas if i am fortunate enough not to see you before

well i have had a chined cat 4 for 15 years now , it was built in 75 as a lowered gulf tiger then we put a bigger rig on it and made it longer 9.2 and wider 5.8 ... definitely not the fastest boat compared to the latest designs , only a complete tosser would call it a dog because we all know it's a cat ... but when the breeze is up i'd be happy to sail back home on the nose ..... top speed 22knots its happy to sit on 15 but changes its nature above 17....not bad for an old puss bucket .... the trouble is we all have to listen the the wankers that don't appreciate that some of us just like to sail multis , but when you have fliped over on your speedster please be grateful that we will be behind you to consider weather or not to lend a hand :sailor:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived