One step acrylic window goop

Any recommendations for a one step acrylic window bonding agent ? 

I used sika on my last boat,  It was a 3 step process and the 3 different components cost twice as much as the two new windows . It was also a pain in the ass process and the boat had a toxic stink for about 6 months .

there are no mechanical fastenings so it needs to be primarily a bonding agent with waterproof properties 

12 hours ago, Island Time said:

Yep, Quilosa MS35 from the glue guru. One step, low cost, works great. A search on here will find several threads about this...

Awesome thanks IT , will have a search 

I've done two sets of windows with Dow Corning 795. One stop stuff, gives a nice clean seal if you mask off properly and sticks to anything - be warned. I got mine from Glasscorp in Bush Road, who also sell the adhesive foam liners. These enable you to stick the window to [ a good] substrate, and then the goop is just there for the sealing.

No problems after 5 years.

Arbo 1096 from Arbosil is the absolute business. One component, sticks very strongly to acrylic (and is designed and tested for that purpose, not just for glass). Easy to work with, relatively easy to clean, not too thick so it's easy to squeeze out. Pretty much everyone uses it as the main product for boat windows in the UK. I've been trying hard to find it in NZ but I can't. If anyone tracks it down here then please let me know. It's not only a really good product but cheap too! Only about $13 for a big cartridge of it.

If you need a decent quantity it might be worth ordering it from the UK via NZPost Youshop. You can get it at good prices, single tubes or cartons from Dortechdirect.co.uk

You do get through a lot of it - it's important to use a really thick bead to provide flexibility in the joints and not tighten down the window to squeeze it out.  Buy twice as much as you think you need. If anyone is ordering some in then I'd be interested to add a few tubes to the order, maybe club together and get a carton.

• Like 1

Used Dow Corning 795 on all my boats to date - including the launch with both Acrylic and Glass windows - easy to work with and never had an issue.

Just remembered the name of the best one used by many boatbuilders in Auckland Henkel Terrostat it is a modified polymer-and I have had over 15 years out of it in a stressed situation behind clear polycarbonate. 

There are only two types of products that adhere to cast acrylic sheet. Silicon and MS Polymer. MS stands for Modified Silicon, but don't let that fool you into thinking it is Silicon mixed with other stuff. It is kind of like Synthetic Oil. Synth Oil comes from a high quality base stock of crude Oil, but there the similarities end. With the Silicon, they take the foundation Chemical Silane and then modifiy it to suit what they want to achieve.
I do wish this post came up about a month back as I was hunting down a well priced but good product for a mate. The only products I ncould find were stupid expensive. Anything cheap seemed to be overseas. So thanks all for the suggestions above. I am going to pass those on to my mate as he isn't finished yet.

On 1/06/2021 at 12:32 PM, Marshy said:

Used Dow Corning 795 on all my boats to date - including the launch with both Acrylic and Glass windows - easy to work with and never had an issue.

+1 for the Dow Corning 795, excellent stuff

Whichever product you end up using, the key here is to make sure that there is sufficient thickness of bead between the acrylic and the cabin side. This gives the adhesive some ability to move with expansion when the temperature changes. I found the best way to do this was to use glazing tape, available in rolls from Glasscorp, Fit the window to this lining the inside of the cutout on the cabin side. This holds the window in place firmly - really firmly, and then fill the gap with the adhesive. Glasscorp also sell nozzles for the cartridges which can be rotated and bent through various angles, which you WILL need to push the sealant in from the bottom of the window.

cheers

On 1/06/2021 at 8:55 AM, Panic Knot said:

+1 on the Quilosa MS35 - really easy to use and works well. Just over 2 cartridges to do both sides. 

IMG_0551.thumb.png.9ebb2678357213e7b4636f23eb8f44fb.png

Nice job! Did you use a glazing tape also? How did you prepare the surfaces?

On 4/06/2021 at 8:59 AM, alibaba said:

Whichever product you end up using, the key here is to make sure that there is sufficient thickness of bead between the acrylic and the cabin side. This gives the adhesive some ability to move with expansion when the temperature changes. I found the best way to do this was to use glazing tape, available in rolls from Glasscorp, Fit the window to this lining the inside of the cutout on the cabin side. This holds the window in place firmly - really firmly, and then fill the gap with the adhesive. Glasscorp also sell nozzles for the cartridges which can be rotated and bent through various angles, which you WILL need to push the sealant in from the bottom of the window.

cheers

I wondered if you had recommendations on the type of Butyl tap to use? good tip about the angled nozzles

https://www.glasscorp.co.nz/results.html?q=butyl+tape

On 7/06/2021 at 6:56 PM, Keylime said:

Nice job! Did you use a glazing tape also? How did you prepare the surfaces?

Did VHB tape around the window opening and a ton of masking tape (maybe 50-60mm wide) around the outline of the outer window. 

Hot glued a couple of small blocks of wood on top of the masking tape along the bottom of the window so I had something to rest it on and get it lined up (was doing it singlehanded).

Spread the MS35 liberally on the cabin side between the VHB tape and the masking tape making sure all the cabin side was well covered. 

Then just carefully pushed the window on and pressed it down from centre out to the edges to make sure VHB had grabbed and some squeeze out all around.  Then lots of careful cleanup and removing masking tape - excess gets everywhere if you're not careful and just start carelessly putting your hands on various surfaces. 

VHB grabs very well (some haven't used it, just used the MS35 on its own but I wanted it to make sure it stuck and to get a clean inside edge which it did really well) so you only get one shot at it.  

From starting to spread MS35 to starting cleanup was only about 7-8 mins per window so it's pretty quick once you've got the set-up done.    Pretty easy if you take your time and get the steps sorted in your head before you start putting goop anywhere.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 4/06/2021 at 8:59 AM, alibaba said:

cheers

Hi, what thickness glazing tape did you end up using?