Squadron Wednesday Nights - this is getting tedious now

Clive

Point was we are happy to flag it when it really doesnt suit us.

That is very cool..

And also if we arnt in Booboo's division it would be unsportsmanlike to hunt him? wouldnt it?

haha... true .. a good reason to stick together! just be careful though... the hunter may become the hunted... :D

That was a great course if either there was more breeze and /or the tide was not going out... But I think if we can get a few more multis between the TVS and 8.5 fleet we would be able to have a multi A fleet which sails the longer course and a multi B fleet that sails the mono A div course.

Timberwolf and Frantic will be back soon plus maybe in the not too distant future the Ákarana' cats if that gets off the ground. That will make a pretty good multi A fleet and the 8.5 fleet is already great and growing.. which could be the Multi B fleet ?? Or sail in the fleet that has the courses that you prefer??

+1

yes we dont want 2 divs with 2 boats each but when we have 10 to 15 boats every race (RNZYS wed night), why not let the top 4 which are clearly in another league from the rest of the fleet do an extra long course, call it the GP division. Anything allowed, Alfa Romeo and such boats included, whatever, AC training boats etc

Boats like Exodus and Timberwolf can race in either the M div or the GP whatever they prefer.

Id rather have two smaller divs than the top boats and bottom boats not racing because the course lengths aren't suitable!

Yer Samin I like the GP division option.. Dont let us forget that it is a growing fleet both in performance, skill (hopefully) and boat numbers.

I personally dont mind smaller multis starting with the bigger / faster multis so long as the numbers dont get more than 20 or so. Just because the multi guys all generally understand how to keep out of each others way etc unlike keel boats who dont always even notice us hooning around.

Would the committee let us have two course lengths and one start to keep it simple??

Dont know the right answer, but know the Race Commitee are aware and proactively working on it.

They are open to suggestions and solutions.

Maybe a good topic for discussion at the next NZMYC meeting to go back with a recomendation?

And also if we arnt in Booboo's division it would be unsportsmanlike to hunt him? wouldnt it?

I like your paint job better than mine.............

In fact i reckon my solid fiberglass hull might be more than a match for some carbon/nomex!

I like the idea of starting everyone together and having 2 courses, one for the big boats and one for the smaller ones, lets be honest we arent really racing agaist each other anyway.The problem here is going to be the split, who goes where?

Well with 7 of the 12 starters last night 8.5s you would think that that is a logical place to start. which personally i think would be awesome for the class.

the other point that seems logical would be 10.66m which is the split for the coastal but that starts to make the top division very small with three boats racing regularly.

Don't remember having this problem back in the good ol days.

( Oh shut up Pedro are you still beating that Horse)

Up in the Weiti it takes longer to get out of the river than it takes to do the course but we're only in it for the fun.

Must come down one day and watch you Fulas sailing by touch. :D

I was on Charleston. Usual I prefer a longer course as I often think that getting all revved up for a 1 hour or even less blat is a bit of a drag. However even I admit that last night was a bit O.T. We did enough miles that given the time we could have sailed to Kauwau ha ha. When we checked the course at the start our thought was, huh thats pretty long, oh well they have lot's of options to shorten it so great. This seams to be what ( As Simon Stated ) has happened in the past , but sadly not last night.

Not sure about splitting divions though, we can have good racing across the fleet, plus extra numbers on starts e.t.c. My 10 cents :)

Up in the Weiti it takes longer to get out of the river than it takes to do the course

C'mon Pedro, if you sailed some races that were more than 1 hour long it wouldn't be the case now would it!

you guys are so close to getting your own division at Weiti, but I can't do it for you...

I was on Charleston. Usual I prefer a longer course as I often think that getting all revved up for a 1 hour or even less blat is a bit of a drag. However even I admit that last night was a bit O.T. We did enough miles that given the time we could have sailed to Kauwau ha ha. When we checked the course at the start our thought was, huh thats pretty long, oh well they have lot's of options to shorten it so great. This seams to be what ( As Simon Stated ) has happened in the past , but sadly not last night.

Not sure about splitting divions though, we can have good racing across the fleet, plus extra numbers on starts e.t.c. My 10 cents :)

Info I got today was that the RO was always intending to shorten if it crumped after 1 lap, but got bad intel from helpers out on the course, so it didnt happen, then it was all to late.

It is always a potential issue in summer that the breeze can crump, and I bet that they will react a little quicker in the future if they are given a chance.

Just remember it is a "Rental" and Booboo will drive it as such............... and he has paid the $250 excess waver :D

Last Richmond when they set an 11 mile course with 20knots of air we chose not to race and did a quick whip around Rangi cos we couldnt face finishing in 20 minutes.

This is really why we need to split it. It's kinda like having Wired and a Young 88 in the same div...

:clap: more like wired and a piedy I reckon! yes it would be nice for 8.5's to have their own division but hey.. then there would be no one for the big boats to beat! :twisted: A start with the big boats but our own div for the 8.5's is the answer.. just as long as we keep the numbers up.. I think it would encourage more numbers to be honest?

Last Richmond when they set an 11 mile course with 20knots of air we chose not to race and did a quick whip around Rangi cos we couldnt face finishing in 20 minutes.

This is really why we need to split it. It's kinda like having Wired and a Young 88 in the same div...

:clap: more like wired and a piedy I reckon! yes it would be nice for 8.5's to have their own division but hey.. then there would be no one for the big boats to beat! :twisted: A start with the big boats but our own div for the 8.5's is the answer.. just as long as we keep the numbers up.. I think it would encourage more numbers to be honest?

So what happens to sundreamer if Phil wants to race that again ?

what about Exodus and This Way Up, and Hyper ?

what about Katariana if they ever want to race again ?

If the division/course length is split it should be the slower boats doing a shorter course and the faster boats doing a longer course.

So if the split is the Top 8.5 races the shorter course, that leaves TVS, 888, Charleston and Taeping only that are currently racing on the longer course, with FD and TW to join in. That is a very small division with very little prospect of it growing.

My opinion is that every other boat than TVS has some good tight racing, perhaps the rest can do A division course, TVS can continue to do the 30% longer course, and MarkM and The Rev can weave their magic and apply a Handicap correction factor to TVS time to make it fair for all ?

Surely the goal for starting the 8.5 box was to one day have enough of them racing to justify there own division, that goal should not be restricted by weather or not there are enough big boats to keep it interesting for them.

Tim if you include TW and FD in that list that would be around ten boats sailing in the larger class. more than in some of the mono divisions. I know some would rather be in the middle of a big fleet than at the end of a small one but really how much pride do they take from beating an 8.5 on line surely they should be aiming to be in frount of the next boat bigger than or faster than them.

Surely the goal for starting the 8.5 box was to one day have enough of them racing to justify there own division, that goal should not be restricted by weather or not there are enough big boats to keep it interesting for them.

Exactly! .. but it seems a few people are anti the 8.5 class racing it's own div as it was intended for the sake of a few big boats having no one to beat.

So if the split is the Top 8.5 races the shorter course, that leaves TVS, 888, Charleston and Taeping only that are currently racing on the longer course, with FD and TW to join in. That is a very small division with very little prospect of it growing.

Why is there little prospect for this division to grow? beacause the bigger boat owners are happy to sit back and let the 8.5's make up the numbers?

The 8.5 committee has worked extremely hard to get new boats and owners out and I can tell you it's no easy feat. It was hard enough to get 6 for the coastal and thank you Jon for giving us our own class in division 7. Most of the new boats to the fleet in the last 3 years have all been 8.5's and there's more on the way.

If your worried about the size of your division get together and do something about it, it's not going to happen by itself.

P.S. you're forgetting X-Factor, Exodus & This Way Up in the bigger div.

You have a very valid point that one day the 8.5 class will need its own division (we all hope so).

3 Seasons ago we had division "M" and "N" and for a number of reasons that experiment didn't really work.

In the 8.5's there is still a big gap from Deeds to Putiki, and in the "Rest" a bigger gap from Hyper to TVS.

If we want boats sailing again like Drumbeat, Katariana, Maska etc (they all used to race) they would prefer to be doing shorter courses.

Basically the 8.5's are the "middle" of the existing fleet.

There is very close racing between Attitude, Deeds, TWU, Exodus etc which doesn't fall into a simple 8.5/The Rest category.

the last 3 seasons of Winter Racing and wednesday night racing has been dominated overall by 8.5's. Line was won this year by Deeds, Last year by Attitude and recently Epsom was just pipped overall.

in other words the 8.5's are already super competitive in the "rest" fleet and certainly take the lion's share of the silverware.

Archived