rni qualifiers

We are leaving tonight to do our 250miles.

Plan is channel island to stb

cuvier to port

great barrier to port

sugar loaf island to port

hen and chicks to starb

flat rock to starb

home.

Hopeing the breeze will be a little east to start with then north east as we round cuvier and to sugar loaf and north west on the way home.

Should get some windward work a long lay through and a run home?

Any better suggestions with the current forcast?

I know its gonna rain at least it will wash off the fish scales. I will be trawling for "the big one"

What are others doing?

Back sunday.

Reach out 125mls turn around reach back 125mls. All done and home sooner :thumbup:

Mr Imaginative. :roll: Would you tack or gybe at the turnaround, or leave that decision to the autohelm?

You telling me that knot only do they want the boat to do 250nm, they expect you to drive it as well???? Oh come on that's crazy talk, obviously the AP knows best :lol:

My AP would tack, like me it has an aversion to gyping 930's as it drastically ups the beer spillage rate.

Nothing I've ever seen says a qualifier has to be uphill/downhill so reach both ways, it's easier and faster and more fun, especially on something like the Skinner-mobile.

Hey, my spellchecker reckons 'Skinner-mobile' is a actual word. I wonder what one is, assuming it's knot grey and wet.

I think there's a stipulation about going past 4 separate waypoints or something.

Northerly Saturday so the waypoints would be -

North Head to port

Rangi Lt to Stb

Rakino to Stb

Gt Barrier to port

backwards on the way home.

8 waypoints, home late evening, quick shower and into mum. All too easy :thumbup:

But on a more serious note, is there? I've never seen anything but wouldn't be surprised if there was more to it than a simple 250nms.

Hey Bro, on that forecast it a glamour, you could go anywhere, I'd be heading south at Colville may as make the whole thing downwind ifyou can, I understand the Whole RNI gonna be downwind (it is why we signed up), might as well start practising!!

Have a goody!!

We are doing White Island next week as a qualifier. Good chance to do the required miles in full racing mode. Also, we like volcano's, especially active offshore volcano's :D

I understand the Whole RNI gonna be downwind (it is why we signed up), might as well start practising!!

Ya just have to love that optimism, magnificent :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah he don't know what he's talking about

I've asked for all up wind

only chance anyone will have against the 30 canters

well funny old weekend for a yacht around the Gulf and surrounds.

We left westhaven 3pm friday. Forcast was ne till midnight then becoming nw early sat and building all day. w on sunday 30knts.

"Yeah right" is what I have to say about forcasts.

So we beat out through motuhi with full main and no2 dead maggot.

Tacked onto starb and layed out into the gulf with a few tacks up towards colville to use the out going tide. Also did 4 headsail peels to the 1 back to the 2 as the breeze was very up and down.

Reached our mid colville waypoint around 2300 hrs and had 20-25knt ne.

Decided at this stage it would be best if we put the bow down and head north before it went nw.

After calling coastguard to inform them off a change of course

Up went the code 0 and off we went at 10-12knts heading for the mokohinaus.

Past little barrier to starb and carried the 0 to the mokes.

Then the wind went real strange. back to the number 1 and hard on. Some serious sea fog/mist and couldn't see f all at times only 100mtrs visibility.

With no wind gear or chartplotter it was interesting trying to keep sailing straight on course we mainly just sailed on the compass and constantly checked the sail trim but in the swell some good wind gear would really be a benefit especially as there was no stars or land to use as a reference.

From the mokes we were dead maggot all the way to sugarloaf island and as daylight approached we were 30miles from the waypoint. Breeze dropped so up went the wind seeker for what turned out to be the next 15hrs or so.

Past sugar loaf around 1200hrs sat and turned for home. Having done so much upwind work we had already sailed approx 120miles or so.

Very light wind and unable to make a kite set in the swell we poled out the windseeker and set in for a long day.

Around 3pm we were going sweet with the gennaker up and surfing down waves at 10knts closing in on hen and chicks.

past sail rock around 5pm and headed for kawau.still not alot of wind.

Then at flat rock kite down back to wind seeker sailing at 5knts and wind nw starb tack and heading for home.

past tiri at 2300hrs tight lay for rangi light.

Finished our miles at rangi light around 0200 sunday and dropped sails for a motor home up the ditch.

all went well and pretty happy.

Were are all the fish?

We sailed a very long way caught one tuna on the north side of the mokes but that was it. Kahawai? Are there any left any where?

Discoverd we still have charging issues after spending alot of time and money fixing it.

And our ssb has interference when the instrumnts are on but works absolutely mean prob clearest I ever heard transmitting and recieving when the instruments are turned off. Any ideas?

All round not bad but no good rides under kite and no breeze sat so long and frustrating.

Have booked in Jan 14th/15th/16th for our qualifier. Leave after work on 17th. Rain date 21th/22th/23th as we don't sail in the rain. Or the sun. Or at night. Or if its windy. Or if there is no wind.

If anyone wants to join us let me know.

Reach out 125mls turn around reach back 125mls. All done and home sooner :thumbup:

That's pretty much our plan!

We're heading out this friday night for our qualifier. Playing around with the weather routing on predict wind at the moment... I think I have come up with a route that will give us a reach most of the way with a nice genni angle after Gannet Rock. If the forecast is right we should be home late on saturday albeit a little wet.

North head -> Mokohinau Is -> Gannet Rock -> Hen and Chicks -> North head.

Anyone else going out this weekend?

RNI_Qualifier_v2.JPG

I personally cant see the point of this exercise if all you have to do is go for a reach around the gulf. If you really want to achieve anything out of this exercise then i would suggest you go straight into it for a 100 miles and back straight down with a kite. you would learn more about handling your boat, setting up your systems and sailing well down wind (and up)this way than what you have planned. That said rather you than me :)

We did ours last weekend.

Conditions were fantastic, 10-15 NE, maybe a bit more at times. Went up to the Poor Knights, down to Hen and Chicks, outside Little Barrier to Channel Island, over to Flat Rock and then to Gannet. Gannet home. Took us 36 hrs and learn't lots! The to do list went from about 20 items to about 70!

Have a fun sail Fineline and see you in Feb.

By the way, who is the local (AKL) SSB guru?

Archived