Pub Quiz

MartinRF

Sam,

Can somene explain to the uninitiated why the max rocker on the amas looks so far forward?

Theres more than 1 reason for this.

I didnt design the amas but I did choose to use the design because I think it the best shape possible within the design parameters (light, cheap, easy to build and efficient high speed hull shape)

The first answer is that the photo is an optical illusion and in reality the rocker is around 33% aft from the bow.

second reason is that one advantage a tri has over a cat is the ability to have different hull designs for different load cases, i.e. the center of buoyancy can change as the boat powers up so the crew in theory dont need to move aft to stop the boat nose diving as the ama immerses the center of buoyancy moves forward because the float has more volume forward than the main hull.

3rd reason is that simply to build the ama in tortured ply and get the desired amount of curvature in the aft sections the aft 2m of the float (canoe body) have to be virtually straight. This happens to coincide with an efficient high speed hull shape.

main thing is to try stop it going down the mine!!!! A very common problem on non foil assisted tris some of which have been seen doing while sailing upwind!!!!

thats how I understand it anyway. hopefully someone else can add to these comments?

Thanks Martin, nice to know that Spirit of Apricot is alive and well, probably one of the first of the ORMA 60's and in my opinion one of the nicest looking.

hejar mate

I don't know about "well". She capsized (again) last year and I have sense she is underfunded.

I agree those 1988 trimarans are good looking--sleek but very wet. I prefer the Irens look over the Smith look (they were school mates and Martyn Smith did the structural/composite engineering of boats like Formule TAG).

/Martin

Spirit of Apricot was a nose happy shitter. I was on it when Tony Bullimore sent it down the mine with tragic consequences. It displayed its wayward tendency throughout its competitve career. It has obviously been modified extensively - I hoped they solved its bad habits.

Archived