Northern Hemisphere Spring Project

DrWatson

Paperjet 14

A skiff from Dudly Dix, with three different rig/sail plans.

Building it with a friend who's mother is kindly supplying the workspace (and excessive catering - Sunday breakfast was three courses with wine :) )

We got it as a precut kit (so alas no lofting required) but as it's the first time, I really want it to work out well so my friend who can't yet use a hand saw to cut a straight line is impressed and will be encouraged to try something a little more challenging next time.

Paperjet 14

A skiff from Dudly Dix, with three different rig/sail plans.

Building it with a friend who's mother is kindly supplying the workspace (and excessive catering - Sunday breakfast was three courses with wine :) )

We got it as a precut kit (so alas no lofting required) but as it's the first time, I really want it to work out well so my friend who can't yet use a hand saw to cut a straight line is impressed and will be encouraged to try something a little more challenging next time.

nice bit of fun though on the nationalistic aspect why not a jolly boat?.....super simple to build and sail well and could well do with a spot of northern exposure

Yup you're dead right, there are many NZ designs that I would like to have built, but there are a few other factors to take into account. We'll be using it on a lake which mostly has

But possibly the biggest factor is getting any kind of supplies. People in Switz just don't seem to DO anything anymore, I mean do things themselves. They all have enough money to just go out and buy it new, or pre-made. The most challenging thing most will ever do is put together an IKEA table or erect a tomato stake. Therefore hardware stores and DIY shops just don't stock or supply anything of any quality, and the swindleries take extortion (and unhelpfulness) to a whole new level.

As a result, getting suitable wood, ply, epoxy and glass, or even finding anyone who knew where we could get them have been major undertakings. Internet was no use either. Not to mention finding tools. It's taken 3 months to find a tool store where I could buy a Stanley No4. Importing tools from other areas also costs a hell of a lot, and then having to pay duty at the border is a pain in the arsse.

The kit came at a reasonable price and we could order a lot of things from the same guy, so it actually meant we might get what we need within a reasonable timeframe. Even so, it took the kit supplier 2 months to get the ply before he could CNC. He then drove it over the border from München himself, much easier than importing full sheets of ply.

Still go no idea where I'll get sails. I found a loft in Germany, but the quote was close to 2K euro for the main and jib...

Convincing my friend to build a boat was also a bit tricky, and so we needed something where initial progress would be fast enough to help him get hooked...It is after all being built in his mother's garage.

I'm fully hoping that if this one works out, I can encourage a second project to make something a little closer to heart and homeland...

After all, it's better to have two boats to race against each other...

:)

Cool boat. Yes that is more sail area than a Jolly, I think they are just under 10m2. Looks like the Paper Jet is designed with lakes in mind. Speed of build is a big deal, especially with limited tools etc, good on you :)

Finally off the building stocks and turned over. Been quite cold here until just recently so progress has been quite slow. Esp because the mate I'm building it with is spending every second weekend ski-touring... roll on summer :)

P1010063.JPG

P1010044-1.jpg

That is way cool. Good on you! Why don't you order a sail from NZ? I think it might be possible to have it made here to a plan and freighted there for a good price. You could "talk" to Booboo or Wal and they're the right people to know. PLease keep us up to date with progress, I really enjoy seeing the almost lost are of DIY is still alive and well.

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, AA, I've been considering asking for some prices form Home. I have a friend coming to visit in August, which might be quite convenient, as I guess he could fit a sail or two into his luggage - well maybe a genny or two. Not sure how well a main would fold up and fit into his pack.

How does it work if with the GST and so forth if the sail is being "exported" as such? I think I'd have to pay the taxes (MWST) as it came into switzerland, even if it was sent privately as a "gift", cause the total value would most likely be over 700chf.

If the sail is being exported then you don't have to pay gst, although given that you're not an export company you may have to pay it to the sail maker and claim it back. Not sure how that bit works...

Gee I been snoozing it seems,

Well last weekend and this one just gone we glued down the decking, and glued on a few other fiddly little bits, like the mound at the stern which braces the transom where the ridder pintles are, the mast steps and deck reinforcement and the first part of the framing to take the upper mast partners - sort of two angled bulkheads which intersect making an x athwartship then has another deck panel on top. You'll see we we get that bit finished.

We're a little stranded having run out of wood at the moment. Waiting for the Douglas and cedar to be delivered.

Also as we're heading to the arctic for three weeks we had to get the boat out of the way so Mama can use her garage.

IMG_5948 copy_ed.jpg

P1010295 copy.jpg

Archived