1020 rig tune

I hade our sailmaker on board our boat during the week and he suggested our lowers are way to tight for sailing under 8knts, he sugeested that i should take at least 10 turns off.I tightened the lowers to take prebend out to accomodate a new main, which works well in Wellington conditions, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm interested to learn more about rig tuning as well.

I had always understood that the amount of prebend needed was down to the mainsail construction i.e. how full is it. I have an old mainsail that is quite full so I have a lot of prebend on mine. Those that run the North Sails up here in AK appear to have comparatively less prebend and from what I can see don't have quite as much rake. I suspect that the latter is more about preserving the hull than performance as I do hear rumours of some 1020's cranking up the tension for the nationals.

At what wind range do you need to start spilling wind? Farrari seems to be around the 10-12 knot range when she is fully powered up two handed. I would assume that if your sail was too flat that this would affect this. Saying this we seem to have to consider putting in the 1st reef a little earlier than others and I have always assumed this was because of the old sail (and perhaps my lack of experience :? ).

There are several answers here. Some of it depends if the sailmaker actually made the main or is just an agent.

If the main is a standard pattern from a big loft, they will have a tuning guide and should be able to give you recommended butt position, rake and stay tensions.

Wellington is either light or heavy so altering the rig can be a good idea to match. The simple way is to get the shrouds and lowers right and then just alter forestay tension.

The next bit is whether you are doing harbour courses or w/ls. If you are mainly doing harbour courses there is a fair bit of 2 sail reaching involved so you want the rig a bit more upright than for w/ls.

Hi Cosmic Thing,

Got your email but haven't replied yet so figure I'll do it here instead so everyone can see...

Anyway, as previously mentioned the right amount of prebend is determined by the luff curve of the mainsail. Typically Roydon Sails are the flatest and like a all but straight mast setup. Doyles a little bit more and Norths tend to be a bit deeper and have a fraction more prebend... However virtually any new sail will look much flatter (and need a straighter mast) than the typical 5+ year old well used main where you may need more prebend to flatten out the effects of aging.

Getting back to your question of how do you reduce tension on the lowers without having too much prebend... You need to reduce tension on the cap shrouds as well. Essentially the compression force from the caps forces the middle of the mast forward and the lowers "check" or limit the bend. So less tension on the caps = less compression = less tension on the caps. The downside is more forestay sag is likely.

On Hard Labour we probably have less rig tension than most of the fleet. Our logic is that we tend to sail best at the top end of the wind range of any given sail anyway so we can optimise the rig for lighter winds. Also the 1020 is fundamentally underpowered (otherwise we wouldn't need the breeze to be averaging over 20 before changing from the No.1) so a softer setup helps make more power available. With backstay we can flatten things out pretty well when the breeze does kick in. Finally the lower tensions must be better for the boat. We sometimes tweek the forestay + or - 3 turns in the Nationals but otherwise don't touch the rig.

hmmmmm--Cameron --l think lneed you to come out with me again and have a look at our set up--l think we have to much prebend , even now so wouldn't mind your opinion---

Are you doing the rum race this friday --if not do you want to sail with the "old codger " and me again

Andrew

Slow but fun race last night... good to actually get a few crosses in before the fleet spread out. And how did the V Team sneak by North Head without hitting a hole in the wind? Very skillful when viewed from the patchy shifts we were getting on Drums...

This is probably a hoary old chestnut in 1020 circles - and perhaps a bit cheeky coming from a non-owner crewmember - but do you guys ever think about organising more W/Ls? It's a shame there's only the nats (and BMWs?) and with a few new owners recently would there be more interest in this sort of thing? Much as we all love reaching to North Head and back...

Craig.

This is probably a hoary old chestnut in 1020 circles - and perhaps a bit cheeky coming from a non-owner crewmember - but do you guys ever think about organising more W/Ls? It's a shame there's only the nats (and BMWs?) and with a few new owners recently would there be more interest in this sort of thing? Much as we all love reaching to North Head and back...

We would certainly race our 1020 more often if there was regular W/L racing.

A downwind start under the bridge followed by tight reaches around in circles in a river of tide playing follow the leader (often without a true beat) holds no appeal for me.

Result is that we only race the old girl in simrads and nationals..

Mark

Penury 6979

The thing is anytime we have tried to organise w/l racing it's a struggle for numbers. Prob the best idea is for everyone to enter BMW regatta early so the others can see we will get great class racing and come and join in as well.

Looks like there should be a 1020 division for BMW regatta.

So Penury... get your entry in early as thats the best way to encourage more boats to join us.

Andrew... looks like we will be rum racing on friday if you want to come out on Hard Labour.

Penury, where are you ?

Looks like like we will have 8 1020's in the BMW regatta (Aquiline to enter). You claim you wish to do more W/L's yet haven't entered the BMW regatta ??? Come on join the fun !

We would certainly race our 1020 more often if there was regular W/L racing.

A downwind start under the bridge followed by tight reaches around in circles in a river of tide playing follow the leader (often without a true beat) holds no appeal for me.

Result is that we only race the old girl in simrads and nationals..

Mark

Penury 6979

No hollow claim mate. Would love to do more proper keelboat racing (i.e. W/L).

Been hammered by the quake, 10 dead at work funerals all this week.

No time for yachting of any sort unfortunately. Had to pull out of the OK nationals last week too.

Looks like a great fleet though have a good one.

Sorry to hear. It's been a pretty horrible time for alot of people. First the West Coast, then Christchurch, then Japan. All the best for the rebuilding of a great city... hope to see you up here again for some yachting in the future.

We had a fantastic regatta and were feeling great until hearing on the way home that a good mate for close to 20 years and regular crew on Hard Labour had been killed when his plane crashed off Orewa. 3 young children... just Tragic.

Archived