Bow Thrusters

http://www.usmarineproducts.com/pdf/Jet ... rs_eng.pdf

I am pretty sure Sopac are the NZ agents for this thing. I also am pretty sure it is available as just a forward or rear unit as well as all round.

One day when I have time, I have thought I would quite like to play with this idea myself. I could run a big mother centrifugal pump off the Engine. When you don't have any water flowing, very little Hp is being used by the Pump. You have an electric Valve on each Skin fitting Nossel and when you open one or two, the water flows and the pressure increases and off you go.

Florence if you want some advice on your style I'm at PH most weeks and am happy to help.

The wind at PH at high tide can be a bitch but I have learnt a couple of tricks over the years sailing on different yachts out of there so just get in touch if you like.

But if you want a BT then Ovlov are at PH and I'm sure Harkens will fit it for you it's up to you.

Don't disagree Clipper - but sometimes it just needs to be said. Never mind the carefully considered happy clappers will ensure this punter departs with bowthruster duly installed, peak caps puled down and they will be off boating. Warning coming to an anchorage near you...

I will repeat though that putting the bow of your boat beside a buoy surrounded by navigable water miles away from anything hard and having a good long play at various manoeuvres is a way better idea than installing a below sea level hole in your 40 foot yacht. It will be a sad day when we all agree...

I will repeat though that putting the bow of your boat beside a buoy surrounded by navigable water miles away from anything hard and having a good long play at various manoeuvres is a way better idea than installing a below sea level hole in your 40 foot yacht. It will be a sad day when we all agree...

I agree! :D

I do agree in part Rocket. Some "skippers" just have no clue and never will get a "feel" for the boat.

I say to any new boatie, especially when they are a bit nervous, take the boat out to a Mooring and when no one is around, Practice using the mooring as reference and play with parking the boat in all sorts of positions around it.

Problem is that once back in the Marina and the nerves biuld again, it all can go to custard pretty quick again. So the second piece of advice i give them, is something I learn't from another sailor when I first started out with a big boat. He said "There are two kinds of boaters. Those that have and those that will".

However, as i said earlier, Marinas are getting to be really tight spaces now. You simply don't have the room to move anymore. And some boats are just pigs to put anywhere.

Bloody hell Rocket, did DR hack your login or what??! :lol:

Yeah, fair point, but pretty harsh. And to be honest, I don't think there are many people who own a yacht that wouldn't be aware of the obvious connotations that go along with installing a bow thruster. So I reckon you're just stating the obvious, and that just makes you look like a bit of a prick. Sorry!

If they want to install a bow thruster, they obviously have good reason, plenty of funds, and care little for the opinions of purists like you. Good on 'em.

Jeeze Rocket you're a harsh man.

I have just read this thread, and can't believe your response.

There are all sorts out there, and these guys are just recognising their weaknesses and asking for help, not a slap in the face mate!

Personally I wouldn't have one, for the extra complications factor and weight, but why not? Makes life easier for sure. They are not racing, they are cruising, and as for "watching out for them in and anchorage near you", I suggest that these guys, as they are thinking about their problems and trying to do something about it will be far more likely to be careful and considerate as they set their anchor, and allow for their swing room.

I ran a flotilla in Greece for a year and funny, but the skippers who were the loudest and always telling everyone else how to do it, were always the worst when it came to the real thing, screaming at the long sufferring missus on the foredeck.

The quiet ones who asked lots of questions were by far the best skippers, and anyone who has done bows to or stern to mooring in a crowded fishing harbour in the med with cross winds will know that it is no picnic.

I would say respectfully, "pull yer head in"..

Er Bimini = pictures or it didn't happen

I have been called worse - no-one else seemed to want to stand up for sanity - sigh the things I do...

Reread the thread - I said get lessons wtf is wrong with that - I admit I did react to being flamed - but who doesn't - so pull yr own head in - or out

Is this forum turning into a don't speak out of turn, agree with everyone sort of place - geez I think you all need a rark up!

Yeah Squid I have been furiously biteing my tongue on that one. I can't remember ever leaving a boat in a place like that unattended... Oh hang on Yes I anchor my 20yr old RIB with zero windeage and the outboard up in a similar spot all summer and am always quite excited when it is there in the morning (and often wander down to check last thing at night). But great big expensive race boats - hmmmm

Er Bimini = pictures or it didn't happen

I have been called worse - no-one else seemed to want to stand up for sanity - sigh the things I do...

Reread the thread - I said get lessons wtf is wrong with that - I admit I did react to being flamed - but who doesn't - so pull yr own head in - or out

Is this forum turning into a don't speak out of turn, agree with everyone sort of place - geez I think you all need a rark up!

You go hard Rocket you good thing :thumbup:

There are quite a few boats sub 40ft with thrusters. I know of a couple of twin screwed 35fters with bow thrusters and one with a stern as well. I don't really know if I should feel safe on a harbour with someone in a twin screwed vessel that needs thrusters, especially 2 of them.

I do like my toys but too many of them and you lose the use of your brain.

Don't disagree Clipper - but sometimes it just needs to be said.

It sure does.

You all moan about how PC the world has become, but happily jump down Rocket's throat for expressing a valid viewpoint.

I read it initially as a more tongue in cheek comment really.

It seems 1/2 the yachts in Clyde Quay don't even have engines that go, and still manage to go sailing whenever they like.

Just the way he worded it Slacko. Came across very arrogant and know it all, and derogatory to anyone who has the affrontary to use a bit of kit that helps you tie up under control. Could have been a BIT more gentle.....

I'm using my hand to shake his, knot slap him, I think he's right. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

But back to the original question. No growth shouldn't be a worry but you sure wouldn't want to let it grow wild in there. And make sure if you do put one in it is deep enough to work properly. Many are way too close to the surface and lack decent grunt to be effective in ickky weather.

Knot often I disagree with ya KM, but I will here.

A few on here are just "Too cool for school" in their own lunchtimes, and anyone with less skill that Peter Blake gets hammered.. I know a beat up when I see one!

I should have a new boat in a couple of months, all going to plan. I am well out of practice, and I guarantee I get it wrong more than once.. I will be doing all my practicing well away from any of you lot in case I don't manage to get my bear away gybe set while peeling to the fractional kite perfect first time... :D

Archived