Salt water in the engine oil

Absolution

Did come across one boat that someone had fitted a valve at the thru hull for the exhaust - who ever did it was pretty switched on as they had also fitted a relay to avoid the engine being started when said valve was shut. nice little sign posted "check valve if engine does not start" - or words to that effect.

That sounds like a great idea! :thumbup:

fitted a valve at the thru hull for the exhaust - who ever did it was pretty switched on as they had also fitted a relay

Yes seen a similar idea. A very simple magnetic reed switch they use on Door alarms was used to simply turn on or off an Alarm/Light on the dash. Valve turned off and that closes the Reed switch and activates the Alarm. I have seen the same system used on Port hatches in the bow of a Boat. If underway an Open Port could let lots of water in. So the indicator allowed the person at the Helm know that a Port had not be closed properly.

It can be a bit if a hassel getting to the Valve in some cases, so just be aware that it doesn't have to be right at the through hull. It can go anywhere in the line that easy access can be gained.

We filled our engine in following seas.

After some research I moved the water lock muffler to the same side of the boat centreline as the exhaust manifold and as close to inline with the manifold as possible. I also mounted the muffler as low as possible in the bilge and as close to the engine as I could. This helps to reduce the amount of water sitting in the exhaust pipe and muffler that can be thrown back into the engine when the boat heels. I think the recommendation was for the muffler to be at least 200-300mm below the exhaust manifold

I also had a new higher fibreglass elbow made to fit just after the waterlock muffler and take the exhaust pipe as high as possible under the cockpit

Another article I was just reading says 150mm is enough distance below the manifold (but the lower the better ) for the waterlock muffler.

It is also important to have a functioning antisiphon device fitted in a loop in the cooling water system just after the raw water pump. This loop should also be as high as possible.

That description of the waterlock installation by Chewing gum follows what I've just done. Nice to get practical affirmation of my research into install.

I also have a 2" valve in the hose to the stern that can be reached from a cockpit locker to isolate the engine. This is all mine had from new, but my engine exhaust elbow is above the waterline by 300 mm as well.

Archived