Mariner Marine Insurance Up to 26' Club Championship Regatta

The Marauders are under 26 feet on the WL !

The Up to 26 Club is purposfully flexible about the entry requirments (ie LOA or WL) to foster participation. The Marauders needed somewhere to race for their series, so we thought why not? they will be racing amonsgst themselves with their own handicaps so there is no issue from the other fleets. its means more boats on the water, more of a spectacle and we hope to offer the Marauders a DIV in the upcoming Up to 26 winter series, if they want it.

The more the merrier !

we've had some of the sails on the reckless rat re cut/repaired. time will tell if they are any better. last year there were hollows between all seems on the no.1, the no.2 blew to s**t and the 3 was a weapon. kite still resembles tissue paper. just have to get some kite sheets off the quarter pint now

warning. pain job is about as good as KMs tub.

we've had some of the sails on the reckless rat re cut/repaired. time will tell if they are any better. last year there were hollows between all seems on the no.1, the no.2 blew to s**t and the 3 was a weapon. kite still resembles tissue paper. just have to get some kite sheets off the quarter pint now

warning. pain job is about as good as KMs tub.

I've probably got some spare strings lying around spare from Smokey Joe if you need any.... Drop me a PM asap if you need.

Toles

nah were sorted for everything else. he only uses the kite one weekend a year at nationals time so we just borrow the kite sheets, saves using 12mm polyester. thanks for the offer though.

And what a fun time it was.

Bit of low level carnage, bit of a drift at the odd time, bit of 'helpful advise' thrown between a few boats but a huge pile of good fun very close racing indeed.

And very pleased to see a new trophy for the open division in the name of Bob Nevill who has put so much time and effort into getting the U26 up and running so well. Gotta giggle as Bob had zero idea it was happening. Arron, of Mariner Marine Insurance and a big supporter of the U26 fleet, handed Bob the Trophy to present and the look on Bobs face when he read the inscription was priceless :thumbup: Well done the team behind that, a very well deserved call indeed.

Then the suspense built strongly as the assembled sailors waited for the results and who would get their name on the silverwear 1st, or 2nd if you ignore Bob, knot an easy thing to do :) No one had any idea which way it would go due to the closeness of the weekends sailing. 3rd Nocture a Townsend 26, 2nd Infiltrator a 1/4 tonner and the 1st boat name on the trophy (as the suspense built heavily in the Club) the worlds fastest 1/4 tonner ;) Smokey Joe. Less than 1 minute later the new trophy was fill of rum. I hope I have 2nd and 3rd right, we were waiting to hear whose name came up first, ours or the SR's.

As we were too busy fending off nasty attempted violations by T-Rex (SR26), Infiltrator and a very slippery Townsend we didn't get to see who won what in the other divisions. Someone here will know who did what I'm sure.

Shortly there will be a lot of pictures up on the U26 website for those who want to see a SR26 in assorted stages of wipe outs :twisted: :lol: and the rest of the fleet. Some real goodies in there judging by last nights preview.

Big Ups go to - Arron for the work put in and his support via Mariner Marine Insurance, Protective Paints, Chains Ropes and Anchors, the Floating Dock and the other supporters. I understand many of the helpers were also on the racetrack so nice work to them as well. And big thanks to the PCC team for running the event, nice work but please stop bumping the 'randomise the weather' button :)

And Bob Nevill, now all your hard work has been immortalised in silver, fix your gooseneck and have a crack at winning your own named trophy :thumbup:

Hey, who else saw the Nolex 22's in front of T-Rex in that last race?* :twisted: :lol:

Right, other divisions now spill and give us all the run down on your bit

* also in front of the other 1/4 tonners as well but we'll say that small as winding up T-Rex is more fun don't ya think ;) The 'banter' yesterday was both bloody funny and all in good nature, just as it should be

And what a fun time it was.

Less than 1 minute later the new trophy was fill of rum.

This could not possibly be judged as inappropriate behaviour....

post-1784-141887157733_thumb.jpg

Great fun all round although that last post had more cheap jabs then a Holyfield-Tyson bout. Still pretty obvious the SR would always be the target - especially by the fastest 1/4 tonner in the world! (still wondering how SJ got such a low handicap) :wtf: .

Good to see you guys we're always on the hunt on every start - though prob better strategy to go for penalties on your opponent rather than yourself :oops: . Still, bragging rights to SJ for taking two guns off us - however dubious. And yes the N22 were infront of us on that first beat after we also had to duck back behind the start line - though happily consolidated having pushed SJ over early and then rolling you downwind.

Still with SJ at .66 hard to see how there would be any suspense in the final standings against an SRs .71.

Great racing and good fun - thanx Rob and everyone who brought this regatta together! :clap: ... now looking forward to thos pics - still not convinced operating a kitesurfers rig paid off...

This could not possibly be judged as inappropriate behaviour....

Yes it could. If someone had taken 2 minutes and in that a moments thought we wouldn't have had to drink the rum with coke :lol: :lol:

Toles, It sounds like T-Rex wants to have another crack at you in the U26 Winter Series for the 2010 bragging rights :twisted: Can't leave the wins score sitting at even can you? :lol:

Also if the pre-starts continue like that I'd suggest both boats take their outboards off. The Rex was very lucky knot to lose theirs yesterday with their slow (illegally slow?? ;) ) getting out of the way on one occasion. I don't see why it couldn't happen just as easily the other way around. Be a bastard knocking one off during those rather fun pre-starts, it would be tricky getting back into the marina under sail at times.

We were expecting one of the Nolex's to take it out. They looked to be having a ball amongst themselves. I think Sundreamers hulls are further apart than the Nolexs were all day.

I guess we have a challenge for next year.

we did have a bit of "black fun" on the course..... however methinks that come next year T-Rex will be back and sailing to full potential ....Which means it's going to take a rather quick 1/4 tonner to do keep him at bay....Quarter pint was looking pretty quick though the other week when we gave a chase...However we did have a better first start than 2nd start....which I'm hopng only QP understands! lol.

HOWEVER- I suspect BlackFun is going to be quite the weapon when she comes right side up again.

One still has one of those handicap thingy majiggys to race to though- But he with most guns does get the most bragging rights dammit.

We will need to upgrade from the 1980 Mast, keel and rudder designs if were going to stay in contention to Blk Fun methinks....which is well out of budget without a benevalent sponsor.

However- Pretty happy with the way the boat is moving out right now.

We will need to upgrade from the 1980 Mast, keel and rudder designs

I thought racing in the style of the 80s was the whole point. I have been imagining you guys out there in your long Ruggeds with zips up the sides and sleeveless PVC vests made by Canterbury...heading back to the club for a jug of Joseph Kuhtze...you're telling me this is all a delusion?

We will need to upgrade from the 1980 Mast, keel and rudder designs

I thought racing in the style of the 80s was the whole point. I have been imagining you guys out there in your long Ruggeds with zips up the sides and sleeveless PVC vests made by Canterbury...heading back to the club for a jug of Joseph Kuhtze...you're telling me this is all a delusion?

Larf- Some of the older 1/4 tonners have been fairly well optimised if you check the difference in Bullits' rudder vs my spade- I'm guessing Twitchy will be building something along these lines as the upgrade?

I have been known to break out a PVC vest though on occassion......or was that more of a body suit...

post-1784-141887157778.jpg

post-1784-14188715778.jpg

Archived