help with downhaul

need help with seting up the downhaul system on my hartley 16. It wasset up that it could be ajusted from both side on the cotpit. was all off the boat when i got it and not sure how to set it back

thanks chris

Normally there is one long downhaul rope.

So starting on one side in the cockpit e.g. port, the downhaul goes from a cam cleat forward to block on the foredeck, portside of centre line, up to a block that is clipped / shackled to the spinnaker bridle midpoint, down to a block on the starboard side of the centre line, then aft to another cam cleat on the starboard side of the cockpit.

Given the small sizes involved, some spinnaker poles just had a saddle to hold the block, rather than using a bridle on the downhaul. The saddle should really hold a rope looped around the pole to hold the block. The saddle is just to stop the looped block holding rope from sliding up and down the pole. Many beginners pulled their saddles off when attaching directly to the saddle.

Get a copy of the Ronstan and/or Harken product catalogues as they have good disgrams there.

See what other trailer sailors in your area are doing.

If its set up for both sides you will probably have two blocks on foredeck slightly to each side of centerline. Downhaul runs from S. (starboard) cam cleat, through S block on deck, through another free block with a snapshackle that clips to downhaul on pole then through the P. block on foredeck then aft to P. cam cleat.

I'll post a pic of this setup on Energy later on this arvo.... good luck.

EE

For a Hartley 16 I can't imagine the loads being high... so rather than have the two blocks either side on the foredeck I would mount them either side of the mast (Provided it still alows a reasonable angle of downward pull on the pole). The benefit is you don't need to ease on tighten the downhaul everytime you move the pole back or forward.

This setup is fine on a Farr 1020 which has raced in all conditions so I figure it would be perfect on smaller boats

Archived