Experience required to sail the pacific

TeMPuS

I really think you should stay home you are obviously a dickhead...I've just noticed your second post and the swipe at bene's and bavaria's, with a poxy up yourself attitude like that the sea is no place for you... and if you did need assistance or help or advice from a fellow travellor the chances are above 50% that the person answering your call will be a bene or a bavaria or a jenneau etc.

Shame really, the katik is a very nice bluewater boat, Gary Mull dezign of 20 years ago?

Pretty similar specs to most cruisers includung Bene's of that vintage, built originally by Hyundai in hong Kong or China then the moulds were moved to belgium I think

What crawled up you suddenly? i have no problem with beneteaus or bavarias, lovely boats dont get me wrong. the only thing i was stating that the kalik has a higher ballast to displacement ratio 42 or 48% (depending where you read) compared to the usual of about 33% for the bene's or bavaria.

When comming to NZ, go west to 170E from Fiji / New Caledonia then head south, and you will normally have a much better trip to North Cape. Some say 165E.

And it will get cold and then colder every day!!

The beneteau of your vintage (mid 80's) with a similar LOA was the German Frers dezigned 13.5m 'Idylle', it displaced 22-24000lb as a light ship vs the 23-25,000lb of the Kalik but the bene has a smaller sail area with a P of 46.5', and J of 14.6' which I think is under the Kalik given your air draught of 60'

I don't have the balast to displacement for the Idylle but they will be very similar

Given the differing hull shapes the stability curves of the two boats would be very similar although I suspect the Kalik would be quicker on the wind, in cruising mode and off the wind I would guess they are very similar depending on downwind sail areas.

So your iniitial comparison of the Kalik v the bene and the bavaria was just a simple comparison aye...yeah right

I crossed the Pacific from Panama to NZ in 2009. I think if you have good common sense, some boating skills and some ability to fix stuff when they break, you are good to go. If you do most of the trip during the winter and you arrive in NZ in November-December, I think the most difficult part is to sail the last 1000 nm here. The first 6000 is most likely downwind and most of it is very light winds. My best and most important gear onboard is my windpilot (Hydrovane). I would not leave port without it (unless 4 or more crew onboard) for a long passage. A good autopilot is ok too (raymarine does not count, they suck). People here have talked about reefing and sails. I don't prefer inmast furling mains. But I see people arriving in Opua with them all the time. Just don't f*ck it up when you have to reef. My advice, go for it and enjoy every moment!

I'll second the opinion that your biggest issues are likely to be crew ones. Put the four of you in a mini and drive North Cape to Bluff and back, only stopping for gas and toilets, eat under way, do it non stop , then see if you are all still friends.

hey all, happy new year to everyone. Just got back from a week on the water. Sailing a Beneteau Oceanis 331 around the sounds for a week with my potential crew...everyone got on really well and worked like clockwork even when we the winds ripped up 40+ knots and 2m swells while rounding cape jackson. I think we are going to do it, too good to pass up and with all the positive encouragement from people on here i would hate to let an adventure of a lifetime slip away while i have my youth and the money.

Yep, just go! The conditions can be bad, but it does not last. You will suffer from calms more than storms! Plan for the worst, hope for the best! If the crew does not work out, get rid of some! They can be dropped off somewhere!

In mast furling. HEAPS of offshore boats have it. Possibly most now. Personally I don't like it, and I have seen it bent and jammed with 2/3rds of a main effectivly locked out. The boat was a cardinal 43 (44?), called Cardinal Sin, owned by Robert Cardinal (yes a coincidence!). He was in Vuda point in 2003 and I helped him straighten the furling rod. Failure was caused by dipping the main in the sea following a broach down a wave in 30 odd knots...

Slab reefing works fine for me!

Matt

Island Time

Currenlty in Malaysia, 1/4 of the way around!

... there is some very helpful advice on this post, is there something I can do to draw attention/criticism/advice to mine? I posted in the 'Crew Find' section

Please stop emailing me, the post is pretty old now but also the trip was partly canned. Yacht is due to arrive in Auckland in a week or so, please please stop emailing me wanting to come! Thanks

Archived