Pole Moorings, Single Handed

shanson

Gidday Guys 'n Girls

So the new boat is moored at the Westhaven poles, we have sailed her a few times double handed and found leaving and entering with a cross wind a bit of fun. She's 36 foot long and has a fair bit of windage.

Now it's Christmas I'm having difficulties getting crew so single handed is my only option.

Anyone got any tips on entering and leaving pole moorings single handed?

Cheers

SHANE

i use a pole mooring in the tamaki river and find it pretty easy single handed but i think the current is what helps.I have 2 ropes tied together with floats on them from the 2 poles to pick up with the boat hook. once you get the up tide rope on to the bow you can relax as the boat will lay back with the tide, and its easy to then get the stern line on.i need to always come in or leave against the tide or at slacktide tho. If its bad weather and i am coming back from a trip i will sometimes anchor in the river overnite and tie up first thing when there is less wind. we had a look at some poles at westhaven and the current seemed to be going across the berth. I would try to go on slack tide in that case. are you between 2 or 4 poles. may be tying a floating guide rope between poles would help to stop you drifting off sideways. practice doing it on your own when you have someone else with you , to see what works

Some boats on the Westhaven piles, have a rope in a "V" at the top of the piles. This is for the spreaders and holds the boat steady in a cross wind, whilst you retrieve the mooring warps.

Further have the bow warps with a long length of reasonably strong (10mm) line lead back to the pole(s).

Also try getting a rope (spring or a loop around) the windward pole and pull in reasonably tight by the spreaders / aft lowers, through a snatch block.

The cross wind will hold the boat off the windward pole but you won't swing around a lot.

Then you can get the winward aft warp(s) onto to the stern cleat / winches and then warp the boat slowly forward until properly berthed, taking up on the bow whilst easing off the (spring) line that was secured at the shrouds, all whilst standing on the bow.

Then retrieve the leeward aft mooring lines with a boot hook.

PM or phone me. Happy to help, beats gardenig :thumbup:

Archived