Name on your vessel

SanFran

Not so.

In Auckland at least, i have been informed by the head of the water police (a relation) that there is a council bylaw that requires all vessels to have a reg number OR a name clearly displayed.

Don't know how or if it is enforced, or the status in other areas - but it is not enforced in central NZ (Wgtn, Sounds, etc)

Certainly it is a requirement if you are racing under Racing Rules of Sailing 2009 - 2012. But for other purposes? No idea. I must admit though I've never understood why you'd have a name on a boat and have it so small that no one can read it unless they're almost alongside.

Auckland Navigation Safety Bylaw

2.14 Vessels to be Identified

1 The master and owner of a vessel shall ensure the vessel is marked with its name or similar identifying marks. This shall be displayed on each side of the vessel. The number and name shall be a minimum height of 90 mm and each character shall be legible.

There is a similar provision in the Southland bylaw with a fine of $100 for a breach.

Yachting NZ Safety Regulations 2009-2013

22.0 SAIL NUMBERS AND NAME

22.1 Yachts shall clearly display in legible

characters at least 50mm but preferably

100mm in size, their registered name and

sail number.

Cat 1 to Cat 5 = Mandatory all categories

X X X X X

If you can afford a boat you can afford to go to your local signwriter and have a name cut out of vinyl sticker. It costs sweet f.all in the scheme of things. You can have whatever colour and font you like so long as it's legible. It looks REALLY good, and will usually outlast your paint job.

I have had this done several times so I can't see why having a name on the side of your boat is such a big deal.

BTW - best place I found was in New Plymouth several years back when I needed sail numbers on boat for Nationals. $20 for "Elimination Process" and sail numbers done for both sides of boat. About 80mm high for the name I think? AND it was white on top of gold (to get an outline) so used twice as much sticker.

I wouldn't expect to get it that cheap ever again, but it puts the whole thing into perspective.

Reflective lettering costs more than standard colours but makes your boat easier to find at night :thumbup:

. . . especially if one has been on another boat or ashore partying . . . and the rowing back is totally uncordinated . . .

Knot that many have that problem, :think: just most of us . . .

I remember they introduced the by law in Rodney just as I was about to pain the name on Squid. So in a purely irrational reaction against the man I didn't. Just hate being told what to do, bit like Zoe walking her dog on the beach.

I remember they introduced the by law in Rodney just as I was about to pain the name on Squid. So in a purely irrational reaction against the man I didn't. Just hate being told what to do, bit like Zoe walking her dog on the beach.

:think: "Does Zoe do what her dogs tells her to do :?: "

No - there was a discussion here ages ago about walking dogs on beaches and differing by laws. I don't like dogs on our beach , liked it even less when the kids were small enough to play in the sand (get it?), but Zoe (a dog owner) was of a different view. But she made that comment - I don't like people telling me what to do - and it stuck with me.

I am ok with dogs on the beach. I'm not ok with the owners who let them crap on the beach and don't clean it up. It's a useful council bylaw requiring owners to carry a pooper scooper and bag. It makes me laugh when I think about people carry sh*t around in a plastic bag. :lol:

Or several I have seen on Funniest Video's, there they let the dog lick the owners mouth. Yuk!!! And it's not so much the Dog licking his balls so much (although it's still disturbing), as him licking his Butt I would be more worried about. Or eating the crap another Dog or animal just dropped. Eeewww, I feel slightly sick now.

Archived