Marine Instruments

After Midnight

But I've had a great experience and zero drama with Navman.

I suppose there must have been a couple of units that didn't fog up in their first week in the wild. It seems you got them!

I suppose there must have been a couple of units that didn't fog up in their first week in the wild. It seems you got them!

I only have one but I do know the dude who got the other one :lol: :lol:

Cheers Gappy. None of the Nexus suss I've sussed shows that option. 2 x -'s removed.

KM you need to Gappy's suitcase and try the stuff for yourself.

The wired sensor just needs to be connected to the WIND instrument and a few setup options chosen.

RTFM: NX 22134-1 WIND DATA manual

Nexus Wind Wired Connections Sm.jpg

My Navman experience can be summarised thus:

Plotter = good.

Multi-function displays = bad.

That one AC has a pic of is out, it has a very very scary word associated with it - iPhone.

Plug in a iAnything and 30 seconds later Seatalk has been replaced, without asking, by iTunes. It'll then display Christina Aguilera but knot anything speed, wind or anything useful*.

* - Don't get me wrong I can certainly find at least 3 uses for Miss Aguilera but none would help on the racetrack................ unless we used the foredeck and then maybe......... :lol: :lol:

From the Herald article -

The e7, which seems certain to be one of the drawcards at the Auckland International Boat Show this month
That doesn't really say much for the show does it.

The drawcard, you article writing challenged Jurno, is the hot chicks with the spray on clothes. Mind you they are getting few and far between these days :thumbdown:

Can anyone comment re Tacktick instruments and reliability?

We have one of their microcompasses and that is still going strong after many years.

The problem is that the boat we now own is not a micro and the Navman gear that came with it has been pronounced dead by drowning. All we really need is speed and depth to go with the micro.

Cant find anything negative about Tacktick with a global web trawl but have heard local rumours about interference with the wireless signals. No doubt caused by the Telecom campaign to keep us connected to everything by copper.

The Tacktick brand has recently been bought by the global componay that owns Raymarine, so they will fall under the same ownership now. I'm not sure what the implications are for reliability...

I know of one boat that is experiencing problems with wirless kit when sailing close to the city but I'm not sure if that is representative of other users or whether the latest kit suffers interference problems or not. If it were me, I would ask the distributors for a demo or buy the kit with a money-back caveat if it doesn't work properly.

Can anyone comment re Tacktick instruments and reliability?

We have one of their microcompasses and that is still going strong after many years.

The problem is that the boat we now own is not a micro and the Navman gear that came with it has been pronounced dead by drowning. All we really need is speed and depth to go with the micro.

Cant find anything negative about Tacktick with a global web trawl but have heard local rumours about interference with the wireless signals. No doubt caused by the Telecom campaign to keep us connected to everything by copper.

Local rumours are true, but outside Auckland, seems to be OK.

Perhaps best to talk to previous distributors as new owners with new local distributors may knot necessarily have enough practical experience yet of this intermittant localised problem.

I'm told it's the AIS banging off the bridge which causes the Tacktic issue. Get away from that and all is good. Was playing with a mates brand new unit on Saturday in Bayswater and it was working fine so I don't know how far away from the bridge you have to be. But then I was also told the AIS is directional so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't really know.

I must say I did very much like the Tacktic startline stuff built in. Ping the boat and the pin ends and it tells you how far away from the line you are and fancy stuff like that. No good for me though as that only has a range of 100mts knot the 3 miles I often need :?

He has a dingy version and I don't know if that is in the bigger versions.

and the Navman gear that came with it has been pronounced dead by drowning.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny how we have knot heard from the early poster who had problems and collectively we have been helpful.

Then again perhaps he just wanted a moan but was surprised with the quality of the answers :thumbup:

sailor man

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

I'm told it's the AIS banging off the bridge which causes the Tacktic issue.

I thought it was the Sky Tower / TV stuff

I would be surprised if the wireless gear used a frequency in the marine VHF range. AIS uses two frequencies in the Marine VHF band: 161.975 and 162.025 MHz. Typically most instruments would use unlicensed frequencies in the 2.4GHz or 5GHz ranges otherwise they would have to apply (and pay for) licensed spectrum on a country by country basis. These are the same frequencies used for home and corporate wireless networks (and a lot of cordless phones)

Sky Tower has lots of (relative) high power 2.4GHz and 5GHz gear hanging off it so I could imagine this being an issue.

The Sky Tower does make more sense, the stuff that must be banging out from that would be huge. Some is very directional so possibly quite intense and grunty if you're in it's flight path.

Archived