Anyone going to Fiordland?

While I admire their good intentions - will it actually do any good or is it just more BS?

Media Release

New Measure to Protect Fiordland Waters

As part of a joint agency work programme to protect the unique Fiordland marine environment from the damage caused by marine pest species, Environment Southland has launched a new register to help keep a track of vessels visiting Fiordland.

The Vessels Intentions Register is a way for the owners and operators of moored boats to notify their intention to travel to Fiordland, and enable the Council and MAF Biosecurity New Zealand to monitor vessel movements in this most sensitive of marine environments.

Environment Southland Compliance Manager Mark Hunter said the register would enable timely biosecurity information to be passed on and checks to ensure boats have thorough hull maintenance and antifouling coatings.

“Dirty boats spread marine pests, so regular cleaning and antifouling are vitally important,” Mr Hunter said. “Introduced pests such as the seaweed undaria or the sea squirt Styela clava will readily hitch a ride on the hull of any moored vessel, particularly if it has a dirty surface to take hold on.”

“Fiordland is precious and many parts are simply unique so there’s a lot at risk.”

Marine pest species can overrun native ecosystems, choking out native flora and fauna, damaging the environment and becoming a nuisance for marine farmers, tourism operators, fishing industry and boaties alike. For that reason, the Southland Regional Pest Management Strategy and Coastal Plan outlaws travelling into the Fiords with a fouled hull and also discharging ballast within the Fiords,.

Mr Hunter said the Vessels Intentions Register was a voluntary measure. Details will be kept in confidence by Environment Southland and MAF Biosecurity New Zealand.

Boaties can access the register to log their intended visit at: www.es.govt.nz/environment/coast/mariti ... tions.aspx

Any questions about the register can be addressed to: service@es.govt.nz

Environment Southland and MAF Biosecurity New Zealand have some simple advice for boaties to help keep Fiordland’s waters in their current pristine condition:

• Keep your moored boat hull clean and well antifouled

• If you’re taking a boat over land to Fiordland, or taking marine equipment into the fiords, please make sure your boat and trailer are dry and free of fouling material and any equipment to be used in the ocean is clean and completely air dried before you move it.

• When you’re cruising the Fiordland waters, please report any unusual organisms, mass mortality or illness among any marine species to 0800 80 99 66 straight away.

Environment Southland and MAF Biosecurity New Zealand are working in partnership with the Fiordland Marine Guardians, Ministry for the Environment, Department of Conservation and Ministry of Fisheries to enact the Fiordland Marine Conservation Strategy. The Vessels Intention Register is a part of that effort.

If you register your intentions and then nothing else happens, then it is just BS.

For it to really work, you would need to close the Area and then visitors would need to ask permission to enter. The requirments for entry would then be posted/Emailed to you. These requirements would be questions like, is your Hull clean.

I assume for two reasons. Firstly, they are putting in some hard work down there right now clearing many of the Islands of rodents etc and releasing many native birds back on them. So I guess they will not want somebody introducing mini and mickey back there. And secondly, the nasty sea plants like Squirt are reeking havoc elsewhere. I am surprised it hasn't arrived down there yet.

Personally I very much doubt that NZ boats would travel down there with a dirty hull. Boats visiting from overseas are more likely.

Cruise Ships are my big concern. Someone needs to ensure they keep wast in the tanks till well out to sea...if that is possible. There is a big problem with that in Alaska. A Cruise Ship dumps as much effluent as a small town each day. It's the biggest threat to those Fiords IMO. And as for ballast dumping. That is where most of the nasties came into NZ from in the first place. But doesn't Ballast dumping apply to Cargo ships that arrive empty and leave full??? They won't be going into Fiordland, so I don't understand that thinking.

And as for ballast dumping. That is where most of the nasties came into NZ from in the first place. But doesn't Ballast dumping apply to Cargo ships that arrive empty and leave full??? They won't be going into Fiordland, so I don't understand that thinking.

on the ballast water -

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/ships/ballast

Ballast water loaded in another country’s waters must not be discharged inside New Zealand territorial waters without permission.

Before arrival in New Zealand, a MAF Biosecurity New Zealand Clearance Office will:

■grant permission if it has been shown that ballast was, or will, be exchanged adequately with mid-ocean water; or

■grant an exemption if it can be shown that an exchange of ballast water could not be undertaken safely in mid-ocean

In Aussie I was on a ship where officials came on board and took samples of ballast water - the reason I was told was to determine if we had actually done a mid ocean exchange, the official told me that NZ does the same.

So if everyone is following the requriements mid ocean water is what we should be having dumped in our harbours, insert tui add.

I have been told the source of sea squirt being carried into Akl was on the hull of a barge, not ballast water.

Yes it was the SeaTow barge that takes Salt from down here. The Barge is often anchored in Picton/Shakespere Bay area. It is assumed a Logging boat brought it into QC sound.

To me and this is an uneducated assumption, but to me if they had seaquirt in Ballast containment and they emptied and filled mid ocean, they woudl still have Seasquirt in the Ballast containment.

■grant an exemption if it can be shown that an exchange of ballast water could not be undertaken safely in mid-ocean

So obviously SeaSquirt is a very intellegent lifform and can read. Thus after reading the paper work, realise they can not leave the ship in our waters and juist have to wait till next time. :wink:

I understand that the Pacific Oyster arrived on the Harbour Bridge clip-ons. Great if you like oysters but those little buggers are very nasty sharp hurty ouch when you walk on them. :(

Not to mention that they are like swallowing a mouthful of phlem. Yuk. Revolting things.

Speaking of Oysters, the season opened for the real Bluff Oysters yesterday. I wonder how expensive they will be this year.

Archived